Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dogsncats

Red meat/white meat?

Like many of you, I get acne from red meat such as red pork or beef. I looooove pepperoni (all pork) and can't eat it because I'll get cystic acne if I eat it.

So long ago I stopped eating pork and beef, but a few days ago I had steamed pork dumplings from a chinese restaurant. They were so good I thought I ate them even though they were so full of pork. But the pork wasn't red, it was very white. Anyhow, I didn't get any acne from the white pork.

So what's the deal? Why is some pork white and other times it's red?

Does the red meat indicate high blood levels in the meat and thus high iron levels. I know excess iron can promote infection. I've always had high iron levels even when vegan- naturally high iron?

Could this be why there is the Kosher tradition of draining the meat of blood? Maybe the ancients knew something we don't.

Like many of you, I get acne from red meat such as red pork or beef. I looooove pepperoni (all pork) and can't eat it because I'll get cystic acne if I eat it.

So long ago I stopped eating pork and beef, but a few days ago I had steamed pork dumplings from a chinese restaurant. They were so good I thought I ate them even though they were so full of pork. But the pork wasn't red, it was very white. Anyhow, I didn't get any acne from the white pork.

So what's the deal? Why is some pork white and other times it's red?

Does the red meat indicate high blood levels in the meat and thus high iron levels. I know excess iron can promote infection. I've always had high iron levels even when vegan- naturally high iron?

Could this be why there is the Kosher tradition of draining the meat of blood? Maybe the ancients knew something we don't.

Red meat contains mioglobine which is a red pigmet that oxigenates the muscles

Even thought pork meat when seasoned (salami, pepperoni, bologna, ham, speck) gets red because of the drying effect of the seasoning process, it is white meat as all pork is

Red meats are beefs, veil, horse, boars and ostrich

Red meat is not necessarily higher in iron and in fact, organs excluded, turkey which is a white meat contains more iron than beef

Seasoned pork meat is one of the food many progressive nutritionists advise not to consume because of the metabolites it contains, the colorants (unless we're talking about expensive artiginal products), the high salt content (which is known to interfere with calcium balance) and the byproducts of meat spoiling tyramine and histamine.

Althought artigianal seasoned pork meat may be considered not too unhealthy from time to time, industrial salami and pepperonis can be considered total junk food

Even thought pork meat when seasoned (salami, pepperoni, bologna, ham, speck) gets red because of the drying effect of the seasoning process, it is white meat as all pork is

Red meat is not necessarily higher in iron and in fact, organs excluded, turkey which is a white meat contains more iron than beef

Seasoned pork meat is one of the food many progressive nutritionists advise not to consume because of the metabolites it contains, the colorants (unless we're talking about expensive artiginal products), the high salt content (which is known to interfere with calcium balance) and the byproducts of meat spoiling tyramine and histamine.

Althought artigianal seasoned pork meat may be considered not too unhealthy from time to time, industrial salami and pepperonis can be considered total junk food

Interesting, but lean red meat is still the best source of heme iron.

Myoglobin is a red iron containing protein which does transfer oxygen from the blood to the muscles. This is why the redder the meat, the more iron it contains. Likewise dark poultry meat has more iron than the white meat.

Interesting, but lean red meat is still the best source of heme iron.

Myoglobin is a red iron containing protein which does transfer oxygen from the blood to the muscles. This is why the redder the meat, the more iron it contains. Likewise dark poultry meat has more iron than the white meat.

It also depends on the blood content though

As you said there cultures which eschew meat with still have blood into it

As we use the word "al dente" to mean well cooked we also use the word "al sangue" to mean red meat which contains more iron (actually the nutritional practice of suggesting high iron meat to treat anemia is a wrong one ... but that's another story)

The same piece of white or read meat may be bloody or drained from the blood and that changes the iron content but the red pigment remains

Also, pork is a red meat and always was due to the myoglobin content. The National Pork Board tried to sell pork as a white meat, but it's not and only becomes white when cooked.

Also, pork is a red meat and always was due to the myoglobin content. The National Pork Board tried to sell pork as a white meat, but it's not and only becomes white when cooked.

How come other red meats remain red even when cooked?

Also, nutritionists when debating white meat versus red meat are more concerned and brainwashed about total fat content, but given a lean cut I don't think the myoglobin has real healthy implications ...

In that perspective most pork is more similar to red meat than white

I was thinking, "OH GREAT, now they have started stuffing pigs into 2' crates just like the calves to get them to be anemic and to have white meat." LOL :P

After seeing the itty-bitty cages the calves have to live in for 9 months (so tiny that they cannot turn around or walk), one doesnt forget it :P.

Hey Danny - I'm looking into the guidelines of the "eat 2 live" program. It is very interesting and thank you!

Funny, because these guys solved their acne by actually increasing red meat intake.

These guys just substituted refined carbs for the animal products achieving a lower glycemic diet

Once can just do the same substituting the refined carbs for fruits, nuts, veggies, avocados or organic eggs

Notice how they mention Cordain diet which is not low carb, high meat or whatever ... just a produces dominated onmnivorous low glycemic unrefined diet

Funny, because these guys solved their acne by actually increasing red meat intake.

It's not really that funny. People have acne for lots of different reasons. Some find that a high animal protein diet relieves their acne while other people's skin will be aggravated by such a diet.

These guys just substituted refined carbs for the animal products achieving a lower glycemic diet

Once can just do the same substituting the refined carbs for fruits, nuts, veggies, avocados or organic eggs

Notice how they mention Cordain diet which is not low carb, high meat or whatever ... just a produces dominated onmnivorous low glycemic unrefined diet

Cordain was mistaken. One of the few groups he observed ate sweet manioc as the base of their diet. This tuber which is what tapioca is made from actually has a moderate glycemic level.

Many coarse breads which are commonly eaten in the western world have a glycemic index much lower than sweet manioc.

It's not really that funny. People have acne for lots of different reasons. Some find that a high animal protein diet relieves their acne while other people's skin will be aggravated by such a diet.

Cordain was mistaken. One of the few groups he observed ate sweet manioc as the base of their diet. This tuber which is what tapioca is made from actually has a moderate glycemic level.

Many coarse breads which are commonly eaten in the western world have a glycemic index much lower than sweet manioc.

Because of the metabolic reaction observed on clinical studies anything below 55 is considered low GI

Sweet manioc has a GI of about 45-46

Common bread (which is used as a point of reference to judge the GI of other foods) is 100

Other types of bread including french baguette or milk bread or loaf are anywhere around 75 and 96

The meximum consumption of sweet manioc is 60% of the total caloric intake, living almost half the caloric intake to be comprised of other lower glycemic foods.

A diet which is 50-60% sweet manioc is a low glycemic index diet

The average bread western people consumed abundantly has one of the highest glycemic index observed

Even pizza, considering the cheese should lower the GI, has an high GI way above 55

The only bread which has a glycemic index inferior to sweet manioc is 80% coarse barley kernel whole bread. But the most consumed bread in the western world remains the common white bread, what we call "pane comune" which has a GI of 100

Because of the metabolic reaction observed on clinical studies anything below 55 is considered low GI

Common bread (which is used as a point of reference to judge the GI of other foods) is 100

Other types of bread including french baguette or milk bread or loaf are anywhere around 75 and 96

The meximum consumption of sweet manioc is 60% of the total caloric intake, living almost half the caloric intake to be comprised of other lower glycemic foods.

The average bread western people consumed abundantly has one of the highest glycemic index observed

Even pizza, considering the cheese should lower the GI, has an high GI way above 55

The only bread which has a glycemic index inferior to sweet manioc is 80% coarse barley kernel whole bread. But the most consumed bread in the western world remains the common white bread, what we call "pane comune" which has a GI of 100

Nope again. Sweet and and bitter manioc have a HIGH GI. Check it out

http://www.montignac.com/en/ig_tableau.php

I come from a European western heritage and all the bread I grew up with is heavy bread of a moderate glycemic index. And I still got acne as did many of my European friends. We had no fast food- your assumptions that everyone on this board eats at Macdonald is laughable.

This chart is faked up ... 55 is not high glycemic index and I've never seen before a GI of 55 for sweet cassava

I come from a European western heritage and all the bread I grew up with is heavy bread of a moderate glycemic index. And I still got acne as did many of my European friends. We had no fast food- your assumptions that everyone on this board eats at Macdonald is laughable.

I live in europe and McDonald is a pretty recent new in my country ... yet the traditional food we have been always eating and my grandma would make according to the old traditional recipes with just "genuine" ingredients have an higher glycemic impact than mcdonald stuff

What your diet was like?

it's pretty useless to refer to some "bread" as low glycemic (but probably never lower than sweet cassava GI) and use it as the only criteria to state that the theory according to which foods which cause a severe glycemic response have a role in the development of acne is false

You just ate traditional foods? no one here has ever said that "bread" is the cause of acne, period

Also you seem to believe that Cordain theory is that high glycemic index refined foods are the cause of acne

But he never said that once. He claimed that they have a "role" in the development of acne

But there are so many other things that he acknolwedge as having a role in the development of acne as important or more important than glycemic impact ... like for example essential fatty acids intake and ratio

uhhh...maybe you are seeing something different but both varieties of manioc were listed at 55, which would mean they have a LOW GI. 55 and under is low. 56-65 (I think) is moderate and 65 and up is high.

uhhh...maybe you are seeing something different but both varieties of manioc were listed at 55, which would mean they have a LOW GI. 55 and under is low. 56-65 (I think) is moderate and 65 and up is high.

... and the most reliable glycemic index and glycemix load source I know off list sweet manioc at 44

The reason for the differing glycemic indexes for Cassava/Manioc is probably related to the differing processing methods. Even very traditional peoples 'process' their food. This relatively natural processing method does raise the glycemic index because the food is digested faster and blood sugar is more spiked.

The glycemic index that should be noted is the one that reflects the glycemic index of the prepared version of manioc because...of course, that is what the people actually eat.

"In Africa, roots are processed in several different ways. They may be first fermented in water. Then they are either sun-dried for storage or grated and made into a dough that is cooked. Alcoholic beverages can be made from the roots."

A manioc product which is in dough form probably has a glycemic index much higher than 55.

Interesting to note is that cassava is actually low protein. Traditional peoples may have always been teetering on the brink of protein deficiency. This probably affects their tendency to not have acne. Many 'acne diets' such as wai's diet greatly restrict protein consumption to clear skin. To relieve themselves Africans will grab ants and eat them, a good source of a full protein (containing 9 essential amino acids).

"Improvement of nutritional values of processed products also requires special attention from policymakers and researchers. Cassava is frequently denigrated because its roots are low in protein. However, protein may be supplemented from other sources, particularly legumes; for example, fortification of cassava flour or gari with protein-rich soyflour can be achieved. Such fortified products will be nutritionally advantageous, and thus economical and acceptable to consumers."

Excess full proteins, even that found in soy products, raise IGF-1 dramatically. Research has proven this.