Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amandakay_6

Can Someone Tell Me What I'm Doing Wrong?

I want to explain my lifestyle to all of you and see if I'm making any stupid mistakes.

1) I only drink water; no juice, pop, coffee, or milk.

2) I don't eat sweets; no candy bars, cakes, etc.

3) I try really hard not to eat a lot of carbs; I've cut back on breads, pasta, and ect. Sometimes I will have wraps or things that are breaded.

4) I take Fiber Choice Plus Calcium

5) I don't really work out, but I do walk a lot on campus.

6) I don't smoke or drink.

7) I take a shower every morning and wash my face EVERY night.

8) I change my bed sheets every friday.

9) I keep my finger nails cut really short.

10) Products-Morning: Cetaphil face wash and Cetaphil Daily Facial mositurizer, Night: Clean&Clear Makeup remover, Cetaphil face wash, and Neutrogena Light Night Cream. I'm always changing what I use though, but this is what I'm using at this time.

11) I don't lay in tanning beds or lay out in the sun.

12) I take Yasmin birth control (derm said it was the best for acne)

That's about it! I've noticed a really big change in my skin after changing my diet, but lately its been breaking out pretty bad. Can anyone give me diet advice? Should I cut out most of my carbs? I have no idea what else to do!

I want to explain my lifestyle to all of you and see if I'm making any stupid mistakes.

1) I only drink water; no juice, pop, coffee, or milk.

2) I don't eat sweets; no candy bars, cakes, etc.

3) I try really hard not to eat a lot of carbs; I've cut back on breads, pasta, and ect. Sometimes I will have wraps or things that are breaded.

4) I take Fiber Choice Plus Calcium

5) I don't really work out, but I do walk a lot on campus.

6) I don't smoke or drink.

7) I take a shower every morning and wash my face EVERY night.

8) I change my bed sheets every friday.

9) I keep my finger nails cut really short.

10) Products-Morning: Cetaphil face wash and Cetaphil Daily Facial mositurizer, Night: Clean&Clear Makeup remover, Cetaphil face wash, and Neutrogena Light Night Cream. I'm always changing what I use though, but this is what I'm using at this time.

11) I don't lay in tanning beds or lay out in the sun.

12) I take Yasmin birth control (derm said it was the best for acne)

That's about it! I've noticed a really big change in my skin after changing my diet, but lately its been breaking out pretty bad. Can anyone give me diet advice? Should I cut out most of my carbs? I have no idea what else to do!

The holistic/nutritional approach may be considered as comprised of two phases

The first phase is eliminating what you don't need and is harmful to you

The second phase is providing your body with what it needs

What you have described seems focused on the first phase and pretty deficient in the second

So, now you've eliminated the bads ... and it's time to add the goods

Another thing you haven't mentioned but I would avoid as a bad are hydrogenated oils and especially margarine

Tweak your diet so that your nutrients levels are all optimal and add a multi just to supplement for safety, but remember that supplements don't work, for many reason ... most of which unknown, as well as sinergical nutrients from real foods

You may want to have an adequate intake of Zinc, Vitaminc C, Selenium, B Vitamins and pack on magnesium and beta-carotene thought the consumption of green pigmented plants

You may want to increase your potassium intake and decrease your sodium intake

You would need Vitamin D supplements if you consume Calcium as calcium isn't absorbed without vitamin D and nowadays we avoid the sun too much to have adequate levels of it

You may want to have natural sources of vitamin E (since vitamin E in supplement form has been showed to be dangerous for the bones) like EVO or nut butters and oils (except peanuts)

You may need to increase and adjust your EFA intake

The best way is too consume short chain plant EFA in caps and long chain animal EFA (usually from fish) daily. Aim for a blend of borage, flax and primrose fats for the SCPUFA and cod, salmon oil for LCPUFA

You may have silent sugar metabolism problems

The best way to regulate sugar levels is not actually to avoid carbs but to be more regular in your eating, to have smaller meals more often (because big meals increase post prandial glycemia and lipemia and decrease glucose tolerance) and to combine an high protein source (vegetal or animal) with a carb source and to avoid carb sources alone

As for your physical activity ... it is good if you don't workout and walk instead but make sure to be consistent. Many studies has showed how exercizing 90 minutes more once in a blue moon, like 1 time every week is very uneffective, while just 20 minutes daily has huge beneficial effects on your health and hormonal levels. So ... be honest with yourself and estimate the time you spend walking ... and adjust it so that you walk at least 20-30 minutes EVERYDAY

There are controversies about the sun, but many experts who have done their homeworks say that the sun is actually beneficial and that more people die of luck of sun than of sun exposure

All the studies done on the subject shows that people who get the least and the most sun have the HIGHEST level of skin cancer. While the people who get moderate amount of sun have the most protection

A study done on sailors working on big mercantile showed that those who worked in the office had the highest incidence of skin cancer while those working under the sun had the last incidence of skin cancer

People who live on hot regions of Africa get skin cancer only on those zones that are NOT exposed to the sun like the soles of the feet or the palm of the hands

Those who work under the sun have the lowest skin cancer incidence

Those who have a diet high in antioxidants, vitamin E, water and phytonutrients have the lowest rick of skin cancer.

The rationale goes like this. Sunburning is dangerous and it is what creates cellullar damage

No study has ever showed on a microbiological way that the sun per se creates cellular damage

When the exposure is gradual, incidental, the diet is rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants and sunburn is avoided the sun is not dangerous but beneficial; the hormonal responses it creates when taken in moderate amount is actually known to prevent skin cancer and cancers in general, and that explains why people who expose themselves to the sun but don't burned have the lowest incidence of cancer

Why then even people who don't expose to the sun have an high incidence of skin cancer?

The reason are two: one is that the scientific evidence (and not magazines propaganda) shows that the sun is the minor factor in melanoma and skin cancer the other is that a person can't really AVOID THE SUN

What happens is that they avoid the sun and don't activate their melanocites so the first time they need to go out and are incidentally exposed to the sun, it has bad effects on them

It's just a sci-fi nonsense that the skin becomes dark because the cells are being damages, it has never been proven. The skin becomes darker because of an increased melanocites activity which produces more melanin. Melanin has been proven extensively to protect the skin from oxidative stress

So if you gradually expose yourself to the sun (like 3 minute one day, 6 minutes after two days, 12 minutes after a week and so on) you increase your melanin and you're coupled with a diet high in antioxidants protected from the effect of the sun.

If your melanin levels remain low but you don't jail yourself inside your home as soon as you'll be incidentally exposed to the sun (the sun is there even on cloudy days) even just when going to the grocery store ... the sun will have a worse effect than moderate exposure of someone who developed a tan

That's why according to the majority of scientific researches the people who remain white because they choose to avoid the sun at all cost have the highest incidence of skin cancer and melanoma even when they use sunscreens

Cetaphil is rather mild and for sensitive skin as a product but Clean&Clear may not be suited for your skin

It usually contain salycilic acid you may be allergic too, high doses of alcohol (which may sabotage the effect of your moisturizer) and is generally pretty harsh. It may not be the case but make sure it is too harsh for your skin and skin condition

The rationale goes like this. Sunburning is dangerous and it is what creates cellullar damage

No study has ever showed on a microbiological way that the sun per se creates cellular damage

When the exposure is gradual, incidental, the diet is rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants and sunburn is avoided the sun is not dangerous but beneficial; the hormonal responses it creates when taken in moderate amount is actually known to prevent skin cancer and cancers in general, and that explains why people who expose themselves to the sun but don't burned...........

It's just a sci-fi nonsense that the skin becomes dark because the cells are being damages, it has never been proven. The skin becomes darker because of an increased melanocites activity which produces more melanin. Melanin has been proven extensively to protect the skin from oxidative stress

So if you gradually expose yourself to the sun (like 3 minute one day, 6 minutes after two days, 12 minutes after a week and so on) you increase your melanin and you're coupled with a diet high in antioxidants protected from the effect of the sun.

Please site references for this stuff......I don't buy it at all, and there's tons of research that demonstrates the cellular effects of UV radiation damage.........at a "microbiological" level too.......

Damaged kerotinocytes are called sunburned cells, and you can have them even if you don't get a "sunburn" you can see or feel........they appear at 30 minutes after exposure ands peak after 24 hours after exposure, they head straight for the apoptosis pathway (cell death)........after one hour of incidental exposure Langerhans cells begin to decrease, and sufficent doses of UV radiation can drop Langerhans cell counts all the way down to zero.......and they take a while to come back.....vascular growth factros are released .....VEGF is induced and TSP-1, which inhibits angiogenisis is reduced after sun exposure......leading to the growth of blood vessels........Then there is the effects on the poor little fibroblasts......and the collagen and elastin they produce.......UV radiation from the sun creates ROS's regardless of how perfect someone's diet is and how many antioxidants and phytonutrients they include in their diet.....ROS's cause the induction of metalloproteinase 1 (MMP-1...also called collagnease) which destroys collagen (causes severe reduction of collagen III in the papillary dermis)......

That's not cumulative damage that I'm taking about......that's within 24 hours.......that damage can accumulate and cause photoaging, which I can write a book about so I'll shut up about the cumulative effects..........

And it's not "sci-fi nonsense" to say that the reason the skin darkens in response to UV radiation is because the skin cells are being damaged.........it's the damage to the DNA that signals the melanocytes to produce more melanin (like cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers or CPD's the main product of DNA damage caused by UV radiation) ....to protect aganist future exposure......there is research going on that does demonstrate the repair of telomere loop disruption and overhang exposure signals the upregulation of tyrosinase and induces the "tanning" response.........For more info look up Barbara Gilchrest's research........a tan isn't "healthy," although the melanin does help protect against future assaults, but it can only do so much.......

I'm not saying live in a cave. I'm sure we all get sun exposure, and much more then we need. Sunscreen does a good job of protecting against some of the effects of UVA and UVB radiation, but most people don't realize it only takes about 90 minutes for the protection to be lost completely, and after 30 minutes the sunscreens already start to breakdown.........

When the exposure is gradual, incidental, the diet is rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants and sunburn is avoided the sun is not dangerous but beneficial; the hormonal responses it creates when taken in moderate amount is actually known to prevent skin cancer and cancers in general, and that explains why people who expose themselves to the sun but don't burned...........

Please site references for this stuff......I don't buy it at all, and there's tons of research that demonstrates the cellular effects of UV radiation damage.........at a "microbiological" level too.......

Damaged kerotinocytes are called sunburned cells, and you can have them even if you don't get a "sunburn" you can see or feel........they appear at 30 minutes after exposure ands peak after 24 hours after exposure, they head straight for the apoptosis pathway (cell death)........after one hour of incidental exposure Langerhans cells begin to decrease, and sufficent doses of UV radiation can drop Langerhans cell counts all the way down to zero.......and they take a while to come back.....vascular growth factros are released .....VEGF is induced and TSP-1, which inhibits angiogenisis is reduced after sun exposure......leading to the growth of blood vessels........Then there is the effects on the poor little fibroblasts......and the collagen and elastin they produce.......UV radiation from the sun creates ROS's regardless of how perfect someone's diet is and how many antioxidants and phytonutrients they include in their diet.....ROS's cause the induction of metalloproteinase 1 (MMP-1...also called collagnease) which destroys collagen (causes severe reduction of collagen III in the papillary dermis)......

That's not cumulative damage that I'm taking about......that's within 24 hours.......that damage can accumulate and cause photoaging, which I can write a book about so I'll shut up about the cumulative effects..........

And it's not "sci-fi nonsense" to say that the reason the skin darkens in response to UV radiation is because the skin cells are being damaged.........it's the damage to the DNA that signals the melanocytes to produce more melanin (like cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers or CPD's the main product of DNA damage caused by UV radiation) ....to protect aganist future exposure......there is research going on that does demonstrate the repair of telomere loop disruption and overhang exposure signals the upregulation of tyrosinase and induces the "tanning" response.........For more info look up Barbara Gilchrest's research........a tan isn't "healthy," although the melanin does help protect against future assaults, but it can only do so much.......

I'm not saying live in a cave. I'm sure we all get sun exposure, and much more then we need. Sunscreen does a good job of protecting against some of the effects of UVA and UVB radiation, but most people don't realize it only takes about 90 minutes for the protection to be lost completely, and after 30 minutes the sunscreens already start to breakdown.........

I had already posted all the references and studies ... I will have to recover the info and post them again

Getting a tan naturally by being incidentally exposed to the sun is the ONLY WAY to prevent damage

All the researches show that people who get too much sun and people who get too little sun both have very high incidence of melanoma and skin cancer.

In fact avoiding a tan and the sun seems to be the kind of practice more conducive to skin cancer

The increase in melanin is a natural protective system which doesn't show any kind of damage at the microbiological level, many experts just refer to probable evidence they will find in the future (like they do for many other conditions or controversies) but there's none concrete at the moment. Tanning works the same way as lacrimation does, heavy lacrimation occurs to protect the eyes but just because the lacrimation mechanism is activated it doesn't mean the body has already been damaged

Have you ever done any bowel cleansing, or have you ever done a candida cleanse?

You can eat very strict and still not be clear because the root cause of your acne has never been dealt with appropriately.

W/E

There isn't anything inherently wrong with sun exposure whether it be 90 minutes or 4 hours.

It's our altered atmosphere and specific diminished aspects of our health that have weakened there-by resulting in lower levels of protection from damaging wavelengths of light compared with 20, 30, or 100 years ago.

I had already posted all the references and studies ... I will have to recover the info and post them again

Getting a tan naturally by being incidentally exposed to the sun is the ONLY WAY to prevent damage

All the researches show that people who get too much sun and people who get too little sun both have very high incidence of melanoma and skin cancer.

In fact avoiding a tan and the sun seems to be the kind of practice more conducive to skin cancer

The increase in melanin is a natural protective system which doesn't show any kind of damage at the microbiological level, many experts just refer to probable evidence they will find in the future (like they do for many other conditions or controversies) but there's none concrete at the moment. Tanning works the same way as lacrimation does, heavy lacrimation occurs to protect the eyes but just because the lacrimation mechanism is activated it doesn't mean the body has already been damaged

Okay the upregulation of tyrosinase and the subsequent effects on melanin production may not cause damage, but what about the damage that causes it in the first place.......you can't say UV radiation doesn't do damage at a "microbiological level", because it's been proven over and over that it does......to keratinocytes as well as melanocytes.........tanning occurs in response to damage......it protects aganist future damage, however it doesn't correct the initial damage, which is cumulative. And what about the people who can't tan. Redheads lack sufficent levels eumelanin to tan effectivly. They may freckle, but they don't tan, same goes for other extremely fair skinned people......do you reccomend they tan too?

I try my best to stay out of the sun. Knowing what I know about the damage it does I try my best to avoid it. does that mean I never tan. I can't completely avoid it. I live by a beach and in the summer I always get a tiny little bit of a tan, but it's not nearly as dark as I could get if I stayed out longer and tanned intentionally. I wear pleanty of sunscreen and stay out of midday sun........

There is currently research going on that demonstrates that the tanning response can actually be triggered without UV exposure, by treating skin cells with thymidine dinucleotide, pTT, and other DNA oligonucleotides similar to the 3' telomere overhang (called T-oligos) induce protective DNA damage-like responses, including upregulation of tyrosinase and subsequent melanogenisis........so natural "tanning" is indeed triggered by DNA repair, which means that at some point during exposure the DNA had to be damaged.........

Maybe I'm missing something?

There isn't anything inherently wrong with sun exposure whether it be 90 minutes or 4 hours.

If you don't mind blistering and peeling for days......

Maybe I'm mssing something?

This is what your missing!

W/E

It's our altered atmosphere and specific diminished aspects of our health that have weakened there-by resulting in lower levels of protection from damaging wavelengths of light compared with 20, 30, or 100 years ago.

Maybe I'm mssing something?

This is what your missing!

W/E

:rolleyes:

I did not miss that..... I wasn't referring to your post at all by the way.......remember we are not living 20, 30, or 100 years ago, we are living in the present.....

I have a hard time believing you guys when you say UV exposure doen't cause damage to skin "at a microbiological level" when I've seen first hand what skin cells irradiated with UV radiation look like under a microscope.........I don't know how many times I've seen pictures of cells or even seen them myself with my own eyes.........And it's not like the skin was bombarded with like 100 times the amount of UV radiation.....it's only the amount needed to stimulate as little as 20 minutes of midday exposure............

So seeing what I've seen......I'll stick to going to the beach later in the afternoon or very early in the morning.....and I'll wear my toxic sunscreen.......not only do I not want to have another melanoma removed.....I like looking 10 years younger than I really am...........

Wow, thanks everyone! :) The main reason I don't spend a lot of time out in the sun is because my mother had skin cancer removed just a few years ago. She made me promise her that I wouldn't lay out in the sun or lay in a tanning bed. I don't run away from the sun though, I just try to keep from getting a sun burn. I've been eating a lot of fruits and veggies lately, and that has really helped me. I eat fish, chicken, and turkey also. I don't know how to clean out my system (colon? bowel?), and I'm sort of afraid that it will have negative long term effects. I think I'm going to do more research about cleansing out my system and finding ways to add important vitamins into my diet. Thanks again everyone, your advice was very helpful.

Labgirl is right on about when it is to go to the beach. In all traditional societies people eat a hearty lunch and then take a nap. Not coincidentally the nap happens to be during the hottest and sunniest time of the day. If you stay inside during this period of the day you won't burn or tan too much. But people neglect this natural rhythm nowadays and stay outside all day playing golf or whatever- no wonder they come back with a red and weathered face.

As far as Yasmin is concerned, that made my clear skin break out. Ortho Tri clycen has an estrogen- this made my skin baby perfect.

It sounds like you have done great with carbs, but carbs don't cause all cases of acne. You might be lowering carbs and sugar and that isn't even a problem for you. Have you noticed obvious improvement since you lowered carbs/sugars. If not, then reconsider what your triggers are.

Read the board for common triggers- there are lots of smart people here who've cleared their skin from a process of trial, error, patience and observation. Good luck!

Wow, thanks everyone! :) The main reason I don't spend a lot of time out in the sun is because my mother had skin cancer removed just a few years ago. She made me promise her that I wouldn't lay out in the sun or lay in a tanning bed. I don't run away from the sun though, I just try to keep from getting a sun burn. I've been eating a lot of fruits and veggies lately, and that has really helped me. I eat fish, chicken, and turkey also. I don't know how to clean out my system (colon? bowel?), and I'm sort of afraid that it will have negative long term effects. I think I'm going to do more research about cleansing out my system and finding ways to add important vitamins into my diet. Thanks again everyone, your advice was very helpful.

Here's the thing. There is A *REASON* why people become carb sensitive. There is a reason why certain foods break you out. Some form of gut dysbiosis is pretty much always the culprit. You'll find people who would rather just eat really strict for the rest of their life. That's fine if you want to do that, but it's not realistic. I ate very strict...did rotation diets....had SEVERE food allergies to just about everything.....ate very healthy.....for YEARS AND YEARS. That wasn't the root cause of my acne. And why you think that some sort of "negative long term effect" would be associated with bowel cleansing, I'm not sure. :think: Nevertheless, there are many posts that cover bowel cleansing, liver flushing, and candida cleanses. Just use the search engine, it's all out there.

Incidentally, I'm all for eating healthy; however, that's not a panacea for everyone. Plus, who doesn't want to eat a burger and fries once in a while? Or who wants to skip a piece of pie on Thanksgiving? This is what I'm saying....you have to think LONG TERM if you are going to restrict your diet for fear of breaking out.

I've noticed a huge difference in my skin after cutting back on sugars and carbs! I used to get large, swollen, sore pimples on my cheeks and forehead a few months ago. I know I can't totally cut out all my carbs, but I do know that I can't have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a slice of pizza for lunch, and pasta for dinner. Even though I don't have weight problems, I'm still affected by the typical college diet. Sometimes I will take a drink of my boyfriends soda, have a few chocolate kisses, and eat something that's on bread. I just have to balance out all that with fruits and veggies. I'm still getting small pimples on my face, which is a lot better than I used to have, and I was just wondering if I was making a stupid mistake that was keeping me from being totally clear. I looked at colon cleansing products on the GNC website and I'm going to pick up one this weekend. Also, I might change my birth control because it doesn't seem to be helping my skin anymore than ortho-tri cyclen did, and yasmin is about 10 dollars extra for me a month. Thanks again for all the help! :)