Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, this is probably a silly question, or it's been answered before and I just didn't see it.

But if someone were to take 1 oz. of a 10% BP cream and mix it with, say 1 oz. of some "neutral" substance, like glycerine, a light facial moisturizer, or aloe, would they then have the equivalent of a 5% BP cream?

Has anyone experimented with this at all?

I would say not likely...

You would need to think not only about what is purposefully put INTO BP cream, but also what is purposefully KEPT OUT of it. Put another way, there is likely stuff in the aloe gel that doesn't agree with either the Benzoyl peroxide itself or some other ingredient in the BP cream which stabilizes or buffers the cream. But hey, you've got nothing to lose, right? If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

I would say not likely...

You would need to think not only about what is purposefully put INTO BP cream, but also what is purposefully KEPT OUT of it. Put another way, there is likely stuff in the aloe gel that doesn't agree with either the Benzoyl peroxide itself or some other ingredient in the BP cream which stabilizes or buffers the cream. But hey, you've got nothing to lose, right? If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Okay, well that makes sense.

But what about a moisturizer? If we're supposed to add moisturizer after, then it doesn't really make much sense that it would be counteracting the BP. So if you had 97.5% moisturizer and 2.5% BP, and you used the same amount of the mix, then wouldn't that amount to the same amount of BP making it onto your skin?

I guess what my real question should have been is different. Does the 10% BP amount listed on the boxes and in the ingredients of these creams mean that 10% of that entire 1 oz. is BP? Or is there some other meaning that I'm missing? Such as the whole tube is BP, but it's only 10% strength or something. (However that would work.)

There are a couple different ways of defining percentage the way they do here. First, it's on a volume/volume basis. That wouldn't really apply here because BP is not a liquid at room temperature in its pure form. The other way of expressing percentage is a weight/volume, or more accurately in this case, a weight/weight percentage. I think the latter is more likely here, because you're buying it by the ounce, not fluid ounce. So that would mean that 10% of that ounce is made up of benzoyl peroxide (pure). In general, this is how the measurements are done.

There are a couple different ways of defining percentage the way they do here. First, it's on a volume/volume basis. That wouldn't really apply here because BP is not a liquid at room temperature in its pure form. The other way of expressing percentage is a weight/volume, or more accurately in this case, a weight/weight percentage. I think the latter is more likely here, because you're buying it by the ounce, not fluid ounce. So that would mean that 10% of that ounce is made up of benzoyl peroxide (pure). In general, this is how the measurements are done.

Okie dokie. That's what I thought, and that makes the most sense to me.

So, by default, if you took 1 oz. of something and 10% of that oz. is BP, and you mixed it with 1 oz. of something else, then you'd have (all chemical interactions and issues of "Is it mixed properly?" etc. aside) 2oz. of a substance that was 5% BP. Correct?

Hehehe, exactly! :D Basically, it's harder for me to find 2.5% (let alone 5%) than it is to find 10%. So I'm trying to find a way that I can use my local resources and still have decent results. 2.5% has been working okay for two months now, but I think maybe kicking it up to 5% couldn't hurt. Now I just need to stick with the regimen more thoroughly and I should be all cleared up, assuming my experiment works! :D Nice!

Now that I'm ready to try my mix, I just have to find a time where I don't need to show my face for a length of time long enough to give it a true test run! Can anyone think of a job that doesn't need you to come in for the first month? ;)