Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vivica

Allergic to BP

Has anyone else had an allergic reaction to the bp? I've had one with every brand I've tried, and yes I've gotten a full blown rash (hives, redness etc... there were hives on my neck and chest to) from the one on the site. I was thinking it was the meds I'm on, I take lamictal and one of the side effects is skin sensitivity. Has anyone else had an allergic reaction to the stuff?

Vivica - I am very sensitive to BP also.

I suggest getting some Panoxyl wash and using it ever three nights for a week, then every other night for a week and then every night for a week. Just use a small amount to wash with and then rinse well.

You should also try Dermol 500 lotion which is an antimicrobial moisturiser that's used for dry, red and itchy skin conditions. When you're using the Panoxyl wash at night moisturise both night and morning with Dermol 500, this should keep any redness at bay.

After doing this for a while, provided you have no problems, you should STOP washing with Panoxyl and then do Dan's regmine if that's what you're planning to do. Hopefully your skin will be used to BP by then. Maybe if the Panoxyl thing is working out for you, you could continue with that - as long as you remember to moisturise every day and night. If your skin's sensitive then not moisturising could have bad effects.

yeah way gentler. your skin produces hydrogen peroxide naturally so you wont have an allergic reaction to it. i use the 3% stuff in the brown bottle as an astringent when i break out and it clears me completely up almost over night and does not irritate my skin whatsoever.

Im not sure weather or not you can use it with benzoyl peroxide tho.

so whats the difference from BP and HP if they both work wonders, wouldn't it be better if everywone just make HP 2.5% Gel's and stuff?

Wow lots of things for me to try. Thanks, I'm not so sure about trying to use the BP again. I doubt it was a sensitivity, with the hives my instinct is to never touch the stuff again.

Wow lots of things for me to try. Thanks, I'm not so sure about trying to use the BP again. I doubt it was a sensitivity, with the hives my instinct is to never touch the stuff again.

What strength and how often were you using it? The good thing about BP is that it's effective and most people can use it safely. If you do get hives, just ease off and work your way up to a bigger dose.

not everyone can just get acclamated to BP. if shes getting hives from every brand she using, its pretty much she just cant take it.

so whats the difference from BP and HP if they both work wonders, wouldn't it be better if everywone just make HP 2.5% Gel's and stuff?

For a lot of people, BP is more effective than HP at clearing acne. The HP is gentler partly because it is often delivered via a moisturizing cream base (e.g., Philosophy's product). I use an HP cream from my esthetician's own product line, and I really like it for most of my face - but I still use BP on my chin (which is where I am more prone to breakouts).

not everyone can just get acclamated to BP. if shes getting hives from every brand she using, its pretty much she just cant take it.

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking it's the medicine I'm taking. But lets see have clear skin and seizures or no seizures and bad skin. Hmmm tough choice.

You sound like you're just straight-up allergic, not just sensitive. I think about 2-3% of the population is allergic to BP. It's possible that the reaction was made worse by other medication but all the same, if you are allergic there is no amount of BP or product that can help you get used to it. Do a small patch test when you're not on medication and see if you still get hives, but be prepared to try those hydrogen peroxide treatments mentioned here.

you said you ordered that hp stuff that i posted a link to, i was just curious how that was working out for you, if you have used it.