Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
someoneintheuk

Why is acne so terrible really?

It wasnt until I cleared my face from acne after 8 years of suffering that I realised why it was so damaging to my mental health. I always thought it was because acne is very unattractive. Granted acne is unattractive, but then why did I not go out so much- unattractive people certainly go out all the time- what made acne different to just being very ugly. Why couldn't I just accept it and carry on with my life like (most) unattractive people do?

What I realised when I got my face back is that it was the constant change of the way my face looked day by day that was the real disconcerting and underlying reason for my misery. The face is the most identifiable aspect of a human being. And that identity was being being changed without my consent day by day. If I had a few spots that lasted for the rest of my life than at least I could learn to adapt to it. But having to adapt everyday to my appearance was way too fast a learning curve.

So that was my simple realization the other day:

Too much change of my Identity.

Why is acne so terrible?

Answer is simple. Because it doesn't fit in with the norm of things in society. If a MAJORITY of ppl in the US had severe acne, having it wouldn't be much of a threat. If everybody had acne, and you were one of the few without it, you'd want acne.

Duh.

Why is acne so terrible?

Answer is simple. Because it doesn't fit in with the norm of things in society. If a MAJORITY of ppl in the US had severe acne, having it wouldn't be much of a threat. If everybody had acne, and you were one of the few without it, you'd want acne.

Duh.

but not EVERYONES unnatractive. so why do unnatractive people still feel ok to go out

Hey someoneintheuk, you hit it right on the spot. I mean, my parents would tell me sometimes "Well you're lucky, you could be fat or just plain ugly". It's not like that though. People get used to how they look and like you said, it becomes their identity. Well, we have to deal with a change (usually for the worse) every day. I know for me, I may have a good face day and feel attractive, but it doesn't give me confidence because I know that there are new pimples just getting ready to spring up and ruin the next few days. The death trot to the mirror every morning and having to do damage control is the most terrible and mentally exhausting thing. It really effs with your mind, especially if you've had to do it for years.

acne is an abnormal and a disease, being unnatractive though not desireable is nothing weird.

Plus when you are born you dont have acne, so when you get it you feel as though it is not a part of you, that this is not what you are meant to look like.

Guest been13years

I totally agree with someoneintheuk. I was just thinking about this...it's not the ugliness of acne that makes it so terrible to the sufferer. I mean, I'm not a big fan of my nose, but I've accepted it. It's there to stay and I can depend on it to look good from one angle and wonky from another. I can't depend on my skin, though. It's the very unpredictablility of it. Will I wake up with clearer skin? Will something totally random that I want to eat give me a zit? Why is this happening to me? Will I wake up in the middle of the night because a new cyst is throbbing and painful? Will I scar?

You just don't know. Even when you do find a regimen that keeps the worst of it at bay, do you really know the cause and effect of what you're doing? No, it keeps you constantly on your toes. And if you're a chick like me with hormonal acne, you don't know what the f*** to do about it.

Guest Michael Jackson

acne is a sadastic bastard who does it for the LOLZ

acne is a sadastic bastard who does it for the LOLZ

LOL sometimes it feels like that. You try everything in the world to get rid of it, but the next day another one just pops out saying "LOL gotcha you l0ser"

Why is acne so terrible?

Duh.

but not EVERYONES unnatractive. so why do unnatractive people still feel ok to go out

First of all, how do you know what unattractive people feel about going out? Second, if you know your potential but something is in your way for you to show it(alas acne) you will have harder to accept that you atm are/might be ugly. I'm pretty sure unattractive people aren't satisfied either with how they look.