Notifications
Clear all

just started taking accutane

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 09/28/2006 3:52 pm

Hi.

This is my first post on this site, i used to post on another forum under the name irish_eyes_arent_smiling.

I've just started taking roaccutane today. I've had acne for nearly ten years now although its not as bad as it used to be. I'm 26 now and have tried everyting from antibiotics to topicals to laser treatment. I've tried the same treatments over and over again but my acne always came back.

I used to get large, red painfull cysts on my face which often prevented me from eating. I usually just get acne around my mouth and nose now but the spots can still be sore and reaaly annoying.

I must have spent a fortune over the years on products, laser treatment being the most expensive, although i only got it twice i bever really got large cysts after that.

I have really oily skin but have always thought that it and my acne would eventually dissapear. In the end i went to a private dermatologist and got my prescription right away as i told him how long i had acne. Other derms kept telling me just to keep taking the tablets i was currently on.

Having read about all the side effects of accutane i was really nervous about taking it, i still am as this is my first day. I'm on 20mg in the morning and 5mg at night, i'm skinnny (about 56kg)

I could spend all day talking on here about my acne but i wont bore you's all

I'll put up pics shortly of my acne over the years and what it looks like now and keep you's up to date with my progress.

Thanks for reading ! :)

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 09/28/2006 4:28 pm

[attachmentid=6143][attachmentid=6144]

some photos from over the years, apoligies for the poor quality and for hiding my identity.

[attachmentid=6146]

[attachmentid=6147]

This is me today, i'll have a better pic tomorrow, i'm pretty clear at the moment, i had a cold for a few weeks so the doctor prescribed me amoxicillin, this always clears me up and my skin does be perfect. I had to wait untill it cleared out of my system before i started accutane as it can be dangerous to mix both.

post-47721-1159478487_thumb.jpg

post-47721-1159478521_thumb.jpg

post-47721-1159478694_thumb.jpg

post-47721-1159478736_thumb.jpg

post-47721-1159478487_thumb.jpg

post-47721-1159478521_thumb.jpg

post-47721-1159478694_thumb.jpg

post-47721-1159478736_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/01/2006 6:33 am

Day 4 now.

I think i'm having my initial breakout , other than that i havent experienced any other side effects yet.

Fingers crossed !

MemberMember
(@wadsthepointofliving)

Posted : 10/01/2006 6:51 am

hey just dropping by to wish you good luck, may accutane work for u.

MemberMember
(@localhost)

Posted : 10/01/2006 7:52 am

best of luck....

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/01/2006 8:03 am

Thanks guys.

The good thing i have going for me is that i was lucky enough not to have much scaring considering some of the large cysts i had, and i really used to squeeze and pick at them, i've a few small ones which are only noticeable after shaving and in good light whilst right up against a mirror

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/02/2006 6:53 pm

I have put some pics in my gallery

MemberMember
(@cervantes86)

Posted : 10/02/2006 10:41 pm

wow, you got those huge ass cysts and you didn't get severly scarred?ur lucky man.

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/03/2006 2:01 am

Ye i used to get the odd golf ball sized cyst now and then, it used to completely disfigure my face, i don't know how i didnt get any scars from them. I never got a corisone injection for them either, i used to just try my best to hide it untill it went down which always took a bit of time.

1st time in 2 years today that i missed a day at work due to acne, hope this breakout is over soon.

MemberMember
(@bjsgurl)

Posted : 10/06/2006 11:56 pm

Ye i used to get the odd golf ball sized cyst now and then, it used to completely disfigure my face, i don't know how i didnt get any scars from them. I never got a corisone injection for them either, i used to just try my best to hide it untill it went down which always took a bit of time.

1st time in 2 years today that i missed a day at work due to acne, hope this breakout is over soon.

Hey Dude! thx again for all the help with my questions 😛 Awww i hope it goes down real soon 4 ya! what day you at now? XxOoxX!

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/07/2006 5:13 am

Hi

I'm on day 10 now, my breakout has calmed down and my skin is defintaley not as oily. Havent got dry lips yet but i just use lip balm at night just incase. I'm hoping this is the start of good things

MemberMember
(@married2agamer)

Posted : 10/07/2006 7:25 am

hey,Good luck with your treatment.I.m on day 21 so far so good.Im also on a low dose for now any way Im sure my derm will bump me up next week. dont it feel great not having oily skin anymore?the only side effect i've been having is dry skin and dry lips nothing too bad(knockswood).talk to you soon.take care :D

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/09/2006 12:42 pm

Day 12 today. I went out to the pub(didnt drink alcohol) last night for the first time since taking accutane and had a great night

My face and lips are dry today, i'm not long in from work and my skin is still looking fairly dry which is good, usually after a days work i could cook an egg on my face, also i had to do a lot of physical work which meant i sweated and i was really surprised to see my face afterwards shine free :D

I started to use neutrogena dry touch spf 30 cream which actually soaks into my skin, something i've never experienced before, i tried a moisturizer in the morning but my face went dry about 20 minutes later, i thought i'd never see the day i had to pack on moisturizer. Also using a spf lipbalm and blistex.

Apart from the dryness and itchy ears..lol my progress has greatly improved, had a couple of new spots this morning but nothing major.

Hope my skin continues to improve

MemberMember
(@bjsgurl)

Posted : 10/10/2006 1:09 am

Day 12 today. I went out to the pub(didnt drink alcohol) last night for the first time since taking accutane and had a great night 😎

My face and lips are dry today, i'm not long in from work and my skin is still looking fairly dry which is good, usually after a days work i could cook an egg on my face, also i had to do a lot of physical work which meant i sweated and i was really surprised to see my face afterwards shine free 😀

I started to use neutrogena dry touch spf 30 cream which actually soaks into my skin, something i've never experienced before, i tried a moisturizer in the morning but my face went dry about 20 minutes later, i thought i'd never see the day i had to pack on moisturizer. Also using a spf lipbalm and blistex.

Apart from the dryness and itchy ears..lol my progress has greatly improved, had a couple of new spots this morning but nothing major.

Hope my skin continues to improve

thats so great to hear good stuff!!! hope it continues to get even better 😀 XxOoxX!!!

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/11/2006 4:32 pm

Thanks

Day 14 today, no new spots :)

Side effects - slightly dry skin, lips and ears and i'm itchy all over, i cant stop scratching

Skin is defiantely not as oily even after coming home from work, i'm still using neutrogena dry touch spf 30 in the morning and E45 cream on small areas like around my nose where it gets really dry and flaky.

I have to get a good shampoo aswell as my hair is also dry and itchy.

I'm feeling a lot happier as my skin improves and have loads of social events on my calendar this weekend

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/12/2006 5:32 pm

Day 15, pretty much the same as yesterday, i'm itching like mad.

The tops of my ears look like they've got sunburned and are peeling a bit, also noticed that after washing my face (even just with water) i can feel a stinging/burning effect

In the morning i pile on my suncream as i do be outside a lot and its been pretty sunny here the past few days, a few hours later and my skin has gone completely dry again so i'll have to take it to work with me, i never thought that i'd be applying cream to my face a few times a day

Lips are pretty dry too but apart from that all is well :)

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/17/2006 12:53 pm

Gallery has been updated on day 20.

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/19/2006 5:40 pm

Day 22

Face is good No new spots apart from one on my chest , i never really get them there, maybe about 5 times in my whole life, its a bit sore. Its the first time i've ever complained about having one spot.

Face and lips are not as dry as they have been, i'm still using eucerin and blistex. I've to go for my first bloodtest next week. I'm also going away next weekend so i hope my skin stays the same

The corner of my mouth has cracked a bit, its been like that for about a week but it doesnt bother me too much.

I'm feeling great, i'm a lot more outgoing and love waking up in the morning and not worrying about spots, it now takes me about 2 minutes to get ready for work in the morning. I can go to work now and go out after work without having to go home first to pop spots and get rid of all that excess oil. I feel 'normal' for once in my life :)

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 10/21/2006 8:42 pm

Day 24/25

Still doing good

I'm just in from a night out in a bar and club. I had a drink or two aswell Its the first time in a month that i've had a proper drink and not a shandy(lemonde with a bit of beer).

I felt that i could feel the effects a lot quicker even though i didnt have much. I think its just down to the fact that i havent had alcohol on a while so my body absorbed it quicker, if i wasnt on accutane i'd be still out

My blood test is on wendesday and i'm going to england on friday, if my results are ok i think i'll have a bit of a mad one over there :D

MemberMember
(@teaturtle)

Posted : 10/21/2006 9:33 pm

my face was burning/stinging a couple days ago. it hurt to wash or moisturize it. but its ok now..no burning or stinging, just peeling and dryness ha

MemberMember
(@martin06)

Posted : 10/23/2006 7:11 am

Good luck t'ya

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 11/04/2006 10:04 pm

Day 34. I wrote this already but it went missing when the board crashed, i'm not going to write it all again so i'll keep it short and sweet. Skin is good, missed 3 days of taking tablets due to the fact i went on a bender in Liverpool and drank unbelievable amounts of alcohol, non stop from friday to monday morning. I'm suprised even my friends who arent on accutane are still alive. It was great though. You only live once ;)

MemberMember
(@bjsgurl)

Posted : 11/15/2006 8:07 am

hey dude!! long time no see thats great your doin good!!! hope it stays that way

XxOoxX!!!

MemberMember
(@shunts)

Posted : 11/15/2006 11:43 am

Eh? Whatas that all about? An Irishman who likes a drink? Never heard of such a thing!

Glad to hear itas all going well mate. Are you still on 25mg? Iave just started a second course today and Iave decided to keep it nice and low and ease myself in as I donat want the initial breakout again if I can help it. Sounds like youave avoided it altogether though which is excellent.

Anyway, hope it continues to go well, itas bloody marvellous not worrying about your skin isnat it?

MemberMember
(@dublin79)

Posted : 11/15/2006 5:43 pm

I'm back off the drink again (untill december), still taking 25mg.

Things are still going good, have gotten a few spots but nothing to worry about, i think it may be down to taking one tablet at lunchtime and the other at around 9pm, i done that for about a week or so, back to my old routine of one in the morning and the other after dinner (6pm). Going to the derm on monday for my bloodtest(i'm only 2 weeks late )

My skin isnt excessively dry now, i'm still using eucerin in the morning though. My lips still need regular top ups of blistex though. No other side effects as of yet apart from the dryness.

I've lost count what day i'm even on now , it must be near day 50.

Its a great feeling waking up in the morning and not having to worry about your face :D After worring every morning for nearly 10 years it does feel good. I find myself complaining about other things now, like the odd spot which is barely noticeable

Hopefully things will continue improve even more