Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flexistraws

Accutane side effects

Hi

Im now facing the accutane, but before im taking it, i just want to hear some of the side effects, that you have experienced. Anything beyond dry lips and skin? Im pretty nervous about some of the severe side effects.. Please calm me down.. :doubt:

I just started accutane a week ago. I'm on 40mg/day. I was worried about the side effects, especially after everything I read. I just wanted someone to tell me it would be okay though...so hear this... ITS GOING TO BE OKAY!

I haven't noticed anything bad yet. The only odd thing was that a couple days ago my nose had little blood clots in it. And bloody noses are a side effect. So is joint pain...so is depression..so are a million other things. I really think it varies in everyone. You just have to take it and hope for the best.

other than dry lips, which aren't even that bad, I had a slight nose bleed I also had headaches during the first week.

the derm said i was moderate when i went on it, but my skin had been unresponsive to other products so she put me on anyways. apart from dry skin, and very very very very dry lips (which looked disgusting), maybe aches and pains, perhaps i cant really remember, it was last year or the year before, but no big side effects.

the derm said i was moderate when i went on it, but my skin had been unresponsive to other products so she put me on anyways. apart from dry skin, and very very very very dry lips (which looked disgusting), maybe aches and pains, perhaps i cant really remember, it was last year or the year before, but no big side effects.

Nice theres no bigger deals. Have anybody of u seen cruel sideeffects on others?

Hi

Im now facing the accutane, but before im taking it, i just want to hear some of the side effects, that you have experienced. Anything beyond dry lips and skin? Im pretty nervous about some of the severe side effects.. Please calm me down.. :doubt:

Headache and frequent urination the first day. Derm said it may have been the steriod shot for my cyst.

Good luck and stop worrying (you'll get a zit.... :D ). Actually, worry doesn't cause zits, just stomach aches and headaches.

Platinum

why do girls take accutane instead of birth control pills? like are there any advantages?

accutane is more effective, birth control only works for certain people, accutane works for almost everyone. usually woman take birth control and accutane at the same time anyway because of the pregnancy risk while on accutane.

Get the usual dry lips and dry skin which are easily controlled with lip balm/moisturiser. Also get very dry hair I just have to be careful with.

Main problem I'm finding difficult is muscle/joint ache/pain that haven't found any solution to and just taking exercise etc very gradually.

p.s also my sweat has now turned to acid and burns through several layers of floor should any drop.

dry lips, some headaches during first few weeks, a few nose bleeds here and here (maybe 10 in total), dry skin.

that's it for me.

anyone that says they got depressed only because of accutane is fucking liar and should stop blaming their problems on anything but their own faults.

I had a psychotic episode that the doctors believed was triggered by accutane. I had never had any psychological problems before that. It was at the end of my treatment and my skin still did not clear up. I just finished seven Photodynamic therapy laser treatments and my skin is now clear. I have tried obaji, jessner peels, blue light and other treatments and this is the only thing that worked. It is like topical accutane in that it also shrinks your oil glands but is much safer. Most people only need four or less. I would look into pdl before trying accutane

I had a psychotic episode that the doctors believed was triggered by accutane.

so without any research or other explaination, they blamed it on accutane (as are you). Okay, so the 13 million who have taken it before you were different.

you must feel very special. :rolleyes:

i'm almost half way through month 3, the side affects that hit me where as follows

1. dryness of the skin, i actually need to moisturize or i look sickly, skin peeling everywhere.

2. same with my lips, very chapped.

3.i have been getting more depressed(may be placebo effect, but something's happening.). it warns about suicidal thoughts, so if you start to "lose control", for a lack of better term, then talk to your derm about it.

I had cramps today but dont think it was from accutane, anytime i feel the slightest twinge i think it might be the accutane but more than likely its not, i'm having a pretty bad/painfull breakout at the moment aswell and i'm only finsihed day 4.

I think anyone who feels depressed blames accutane as the easy way out, its probably(more than likely) acne thats causing the depression

anyone that says they got depressed only because of accutane is fucking liar and should stop blaming their problems on anything but their own faults.

Really? And how did you come to this very scientific sounding conclusion?

Just curious,

Platinum

its probably(more than likely) acne thats causing the depression

Or not.

Just curious,

Platinum

Or not.

I read. Medical studies, medical journals, other publications. If you had as well, you'd get frustrated with people blaming their problems on accutane too. Especially since they have no reason to.

There is no personal responsibility anymore, nothing is ever our own fault. It's just not right!

Har if only the makers of accutane was as sure as you that accutane wouldnt cause depression, i dont think they would have even stated it as a warning or a likely side effect

They HAVE to cover their butts. Simple as that. No matter how rare it actually is, plus all the people who lie.

If you look up the actual info from the company, they say all psych side effects together are rare and less than 1%, it's actually less than .1%.

Placebos would also cause depression in those who think they could blame it on a pill.

Just curious,

Platinum

Or not.

I read. Medical studies, medical journals, other publications. If you had as well, you'd get frustrated with people blaming their problems on accutane too. Especially since they have no reason to.

There is no personal responsibility anymore, nothing is ever our own fault. It's just not right!

Personal responsibility for depression? Like what do you mean? We cause depression ourselves and should take care of it ourselves? Without looking for causes?

Hmmm.

Oh, and I have read the studies on accutane. Accutane might possibly cause some changes in the brain, but no one is sure.

Har if only the makers of accutane was as sure as you that accutane wouldnt cause depression, i dont think they would have even stated it as a warning or a likely side effect

They HAVE to cover their butts. Simple as that. No matter how rare it actually is, plus all the people who lie.

If you look up the actual info from the company, they say all psych side effects together are rare and less than 1%, it's actually less than .1%.

Placebos would also cause depression in those who think they could blame it on a pill.

How would you run your drug company? Would you simply hide the suicides attempts and suicides that happened during clinical trials? Or would you disclose them?

If you notice, loss of fingernails is not listed as a side effect. That is because, during clinical trials, no one reported loss of fingernails. They also don't list hair color change. That is becuase, during clinical trials, no one reported hair color change. You see, they must list everything that the patients reported during and after treatment. If their hair changed color or they lost fingernails, that would be a possible side effect, even if only one out of 10,000 had it happen. Even if they don't know if accutane cause it, they have to list it since it happened during the drug trials.

It's that simple. You seem like the kind of person that could figure something like that out.

Platinum

accutane can be tough emotionally and psychologically, it's a treatment series like getting chemo or going through painful physical therapy to get better. u have to endure dry lips, eczema, some joint pain maybe, and also maybe skin getting worse first. for me its an antidepressant cos acne is gone, but now i have to deal with the fact that i have some small scars. i expected the flaking from accutane to get rid of the scarring but im happy the acne is gone and cant fault accutane for not curing scars too. maybe fraxel now?

I went on accutane the first time when i was a sophmore. I took 40 mg the first month, then 80 every day . i was on accutane for 6 months. I started feeling depressed my 4th month, dry lips and skin. I also started loosing my temper alot but i thought it was normal . now looking back i must of looked crazy. well my acne came back 8 months later and i went on accutane my senior year 40 mg first month than alternating 40/80 every other day. I wasnt as depressed this time but i havnt been the same since. I feel like the world is alot diff and idk if its me or if it was the accutane. I have a really bad temper and i get depressed alot now. its sad but im hoping that it will go away the accutane was effective so hope you dont get depressed like me