Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm really getting into more of the dietary aspects of acne. And trying to get healthier in general.

But, I'm thinking about adding some topical treatments to help me along.

It seems like most people on this site are mainly into BP. I used BP for a long time, it may have help breakouts a little, but I think it also made my skin splotchy and dull. So I'm looking to maybe trying a cleanser with SA...preferrably in a small concentration.

Anyone had much luck with SA? And good SA cleansers out there?

Thanks guys.

Howdy Rookie!

I know what you mean about the bp.

I bought some Neutragena Healthy Skin, anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish scrub.

It's really gentle. I have been using it every morning for 4 days and so far I love it!

It has 0.5% salicylic acid and a small amount of glycolic acid too. It's like the 11th item listed in the inactive ingredients.

My husband even said this morning that my face over all was looking excellent!

It's $6.50 at Walmart for 4.0 fl. oz.

Hope this helps

Hey Rookie,

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't even bother with any kind of 'medicated' wash', for a couple reasons:

1.) The pH of the vast majority of cleansers is too high (alkaline) for the salicylic and/or AHA to work at all. They're just there as gimmicks. Dan has a section of this site dedicated to these sorts of questions

2.) Those cleansers are more likely to dry out and irritate your skin, which is the last thing you want to do. Cleansers like Cetaphil or Dan's cleanser (I prefer the Cetaphil) are super gentle and do a great job of cleaning you up. It's amazing the difference you'll feel.

Take it for what it's worth...

A lot of people say that salicylic acid has no place in facial cleansers. There's a good chance they're right. BUT as far as sa cleansers go, DDF 2% salicylic acid facial wash is a good one.

...totally disagree with Huxley.

Salicylic acid cleansers work as wonderful anti-inflammatories, even if the ph level is "off."

Salicylic acid is a great, gentle exfoliator for acned skin.

Thanks guys...and gals for the replies. Sorry I haven't replied back. Been super busy.

Huxley, I actually just started using Cetaphil for the first time. And I really like it! It feels a little unusual as you're putting it on your face, compared to most cleansers. But, I think it's doing a good job. Probably the best cleanser I've used.

I've also been using my roommates Oxy Pads for a few weeks now, lol. They're the "Chill Factor" ones with SA in em....2% i think. And they are REALLY helping, my face looks 10 times better than it did, and it just seems to be getting better and better!!! Yesterday I could feel a cyst/nodule type thing coming up on my cheek, and I used the Oxy Pads last night before I went to bed and this morning it's almost COMPLETELY GONE. So...I'm going to stick with this for a while longer and see what happens.

I'm not definately not saying that this would work for everyone...cuz as we all know, nothing does, BUT...it sure seems to be helping to keep ME clearer. I think that doing this in addition to my other internal cleansing, nutrition, etc will be a really good combo.

I have been using Neutrogena's Oil Free Acne Wash (2%SA) for years now and it's the best thing I've tried. It keeps my forehead bumps and clogged pores in check. Whenever I try to use an unmedicated wash, my face is a mess within days.

There is also a good one you can only find in pharmacies called SalAc. It is made by a dermatological company so I know the pH and everything should be fine. My derm had me use it for years. I never see it in regular stores though, only in certain pharmacies.

i dont recomend SA cleansers because the SA isn't on your skin long enough to really have an effect... try a BP cleanser or exfoliating scrub

st. ives blemish and blackhead control cleanser. it's 2% SA. i love it because it's not irritating or drying, but it really really helps with my acne. if you want to know about how well some cleansers work, go to www.makeupalley.com/product and fill in the blanks to find that cleanser and read reviews for it....you can do the same with the ones others reccommended...i really like this one, though. :)

<3 kADY

Guest max_powers585

the one ive been usinng for like 6 months now is the murad clarifying cleanser......im pretty much clear now it has 1.5sa.....its like 15 bucks for like a 7 oz tube(last like 3 month)

Instead of an SA cleanser, try a gentle cleanser (Cetaphil or Purpose) with a pH balanced SA serum (Skin Biology or Paula's Choice). With a serum, SA will be absorbed into your skin instead of getting washed off.