Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amandareconwith

32yr. old's Accutane Log

Hello. I am a thirty-two year old male. I just started Accutane on 9/26/06.

I have always dealt with some sort of acne my entire teen and adult life. In college, my skin looked pretty good. In grad school, things made a turn for the worse. I had really bad acne on my forehead which persists to this day. I occasionally get cystic acne on my chin. My forehead is always oily looking and I usually have a few large pimples at any given time.

I went to my dermatologist yesterday hoping to be put on Retin-A Micro. I have been on Differin and minocycline for years and don't feel like they are helping any longer. My doctor didn't prescribe the Retin-A Micro. Instead, he put me on 40 mg of Accutane.

This will be my log. Please feel free to chime in. I welcome everyone's comments and input.

Good luck...i have been facing acne for past 6 years and am on 20mg accutane and in just 2 weeks i am already seeing signs of progress...i also have a very oily forehead but 'Tane took away all the oil and acne too...hope it works for you too

Good luck with Tane. I'm a 30 year old male with moderate but persistent acne. I grew tired of depending on antibiotics so I just started 20 mg on September 18. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Hey, there! Good luck. I started on the 26th, too.

Oh, and I had muscle aches all day yesterday....lol. Gee, do ya think it might have been the intense workout I did the day before? :think: LOL. I ran yesterday and my shin really hurt, but I have shin splints and they have been getting worse so I highly doubt it was the accutane. I think a lot of the joint stuff happens to younger kids as they are growing. Maybe we'll miss this side effect (I'm 40).

Good luck. I have my log under Platinum007 (don't know how to do a link, yet.).

Platinum

DAY 3

I noticed a few small whiteheads on my forehead this morning. This afternoon, my face looks a little red. A little flushed. My face also feels "warm" or like I have a very minor sunburn. My lips look good but have been dry all day. My mouth was also very dry this morning. I have been drinking a lot of water this afternoon. I will take my third dose of Accutane tonight after dinner.

Platinum007, I will be watching your progress too. Thanks for the support.

DAY 3

I noticed a few small whiteheads on my forehead this morning. This afternoon, my face looks a little red. A little flushed. My face also feels "warm" or like I have a very minor sunburn. My lips look good but have been dry all day. My mouth was also very dry this morning. I have been drinking a lot of water this afternoon. I will take my third dose of Accutane tonight after dinner.

today was my day 3 also...

funny thing is used the same term to describe how I feel, a "minor sunburn".

my lips are dry by default, so I havent noticed anything diferent there, been drinking lot of ice tea, and yogurt...

(I'm 21 male, and will be here for a while)

DAY 3

I just started on 40mg two days ago. I am extremely sleepy and I am also keeping a slight headache, not bad though. Was this normal for all of you who were about my age (35)?? Let me know!! Sanders

Sanders,

I was a little sleepy too. I am extremely sleepy today, but I am pretty sure it is from a hard weekend and not the Accutane. A couple of Excedrin works wonders for the headaches.

DAYS 4 - 6

I didn't update because of the weekend. It's now been six days of 40 mg per day.

So far, only side effects have been: tiredness, dry lips and skin, a little soreness in joints.

Benefits have been: greatly reduced oil on my forehead, pimples seem to come and go very quickly.

DAY 8

I have been taking 1 40mg pill per day for the first week. Today I started taking 2, 40mg pills per day per dermatologist orders. I will remain on 80mg per day until my checkup with the dermatolgist at the end of the month.

Overall, my complexion looks pretty good. My forehead and lips are dry. I have been using Carmex and Chap Stik like crazy. My head itches too. Tonight my forehead is a little splotchy. I have some red spots here and there.

WEEK 2

I have been on Accutane now for two weeks. For the first week, I was instructed to take (1) 40mg pill per day. For the second week, I was instructed to take (2) 40mg pills per day. I have finished my second week of taking Accutane (now at 80mg per day).

Overall, my forehead looks less oily. My complexion hasn't really seemed to improve much on my forehead. I had a pretty bad breakout on Thursday or Friday of last week. I had a few pimples on my forehead near my hairline and some painfull, cystic pimples near my eyebrows. By today, Tuesday, those have improved a great deal. Could this be the dreaded IB?

The skin around my lips, nose and cheeks is dry and flaky. I have been using moisterizer, which has helped immensly. Carmex is a staple of my daily routine. I have been applying Carmex every half hour approximately.

My scalp is dry and itchy. I wash my hair daily with Selsum Blue, which seems to help the dryness and itchiness.

Week 3

I am now into my third week. I am currently taking (2) 40mg pills per day; one in the morning, one in the evening.

This week my skin is really, really dry. My forehead is dry and flaky. The skin around my mouth and nose is extremely dry and flaky. When I shave in the morning, it's even worse. My scalp and arms have been dry and itchy for some time and only seem to be getting worse. Old dormant blackheads on my nose seem to be opening up.

I would say so far so good. Over the past weekend, I had numerous compliments about my skin from friends. It made me feel really good.

WEEK 4

I am now into my fourth week of Accutane. My skin is REALLY dry. Yesterday and today my forehead was flaky and peeling. I have a lot of dry skin around my lips too. So far, no nosebleeds, pain in joints, etc. I feel like I have been really lucky in terms of side effects.

My one month check-up with the dermatologist is tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I had my first month's check-up with the dermatologist on Thursday, October 26th. They did a blood draw. I asked if my Dr. would increase my dosage. He said he probably would not and that I would continue taking 80mg per day until the end of my treatment. My Dr. told me that after the first month or so, most patients start clearing up and that it gets better from there.

Since Wednesday of the fourth week, my skin looks like it's almost at its pre-Accutane condition, which isn't a good thing. My face is less dry than it was at the beginning of last week. My forehead, although no longer oily, has about five red spots which were pimples like I had before I was on Accutane. I had a painful, large, cystic pimple on my forehead over the weekend. Today, Monday, the 30th, I would say my skin does not look very good. It is a little discouraging. In sum, today, I think my skin looks no better than it did pre-Accutane.

The back of my neck is extremely dry which is new.

WEEK 5

This has been a rough week. At the beginning of the week, I had a pretty bad breakout on my forehead. I have two active cysts on my forehead as of now.

My skin seems MUCH less dryer this week. Other than my forehead, my skin keeps improving. I had some redness near my temples for a year and a half or so. Nothing seemed to improve the redness. Now, the redness is almost gone. Everyday there is less and less. Although my forehead looks pretty bad in my opinion, I'm trying to stay positive by focusing on the other, less noticeable improvements in my skin.

WEEK 7

I am starting to clear up again. My forehead looks much better than it did two weeks ago. I have been terribly itchy all over my body: scalp, neck, arms, etc.

I am still taking (2) 40mg Accutance pills a day. I take (1) in the morning with breakfast and (1) in the evening with supper.

WEEK 11

Overall, my skin is slowly starting to improve. My forehead, for the most part, is getting really dry now. My lips and nose aren't quite as dry as they were in the beginning. The itching has improved somewhat also.

I had a terrible breakout the week of Thanksgiving and the following weekend. At the time, I had five active cysts on my forehead. I now only have two, one on my forehead and one on my chin.

WEEK 12

My forehead and chin have cleared up. My forehead is now less dry looking. Oil production has ground to a halt. My lips are still dry, but less so than in previous weeks.

Overall, this is the best my skin has looked since early in my course. Actually, my skin looks ten times better than it did before beginning my course of Accutane.

I am almost half-way through! Hopefully, my skin will continue improving. It is very exciting.

WEEK 16

I had a call from my dermatologist's office last week. I had elevated liver enzymes. I was ordered to stop Accutane for one week and discontinue use of alcohol.

I am taking another blood test this week. Hopefully, my levels will be down and I will be able to resume treatment.

I am more than a little upset. Everything was going so well. I haven't had a new pimple or cyst for literally WEEKS.

WEEK 16

I just received a call from my dermatologist's office. The results of my blood test came back. My AST / ALT levels are WAY down. I can again resume my course on Accutane! I am so relieved. Great news.