Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kapeedmaro

Youtube video of Acnelamp

the acnelamp lamp looks wicked. havent tried it though.

it looks very interesting. yet they do not offer a money back guarantee as far as i can see from their website. so what happens if it doesnt work--they are expensive...

Guest ~Wolfy~

it looks very interesting. yet they do not offer a money back guarantee as far as i can see from their website. so what happens if it doesnt work--they are expensive...

It certainly ought to work (75% improvement in 80% of patients). But I think that there are cheaper and more powerful lamps that work by the same principle (i.e. blue/red light).

Let's just say that some of the claims in the video... "dynatec's acne lamp is by far the best way to go for acne treatments" would be illegal to make in the UK. I believe it to be false; you can get blue/red light treatment elsewhere, more cheaply.

For example the SCI/ART lamps do the same thing, at about 1/3 the price; and you can buy the same bulbs that SCI/ART uses even cheaper from elsewhere.

For example the SCI/ART lamps do the same thing, at about 1/3 the price; and you can buy the same bulbs that SCI/ART uses even cheaper from elsewhere.

thats interesting I didnt realise there was other consumer products available for light treatment. I thought light treatment was only available through a professional practice at high prices and not totally guaranteed results.

Guest ~Wolfy~

thats interesting I didnt realise there was other consumer products available for light treatment. I thought light treatment was only available through a professional practice at high prices and not totally guaranteed results.

If anything it's the other way around. The home use treatments are cheaper and as, or more, effective than the professional ones and you can continue treating for years for negligible cost.

(Although if you're getting ALA it's a bit different you can't do that at home, but ALA + blue/red light is considered an experimental treatment and only works about 30% of the time from what I understand.)

It certainly ought to work (75% improvement in 80% of patients). But I think that there are cheaper and more powerful lamps that work by the same principle (i.e. blue/red light).

Let's just say that some of the claims in the video... "dynatec's acne lamp is by far the best way to go for acne treatments" would be illegal to make in the UK. I believe it to be false; you can get blue/red light treatment elsewhere, more cheaply.

but that 75% figure is not from using their product(acnelamp). It's from some other product. There are dozens of different acne lamps such as the omnilux, sci/art etc

Guest ~Wolfy~

I never tried light lamps when i had acne, but i did once do a lot of sunbed over the course of a couple of weeks to see if that helped. it didnt though.

It takes 6 weeks atleast. But sunbeds damage your skin and then when the acne comes back, it comes back with a vengence. UV seems to make acne worse.

that lady in the video is hot

she is nice for an american, blonde, slightly older woman,erm, something. shes good at her job.

sunbeds damage your skin and then when the acne comes back, it comes back with a vengence. UV seems to make acne worse.

yes i recall my acne got worse after doing that.

I am using the acnelamp. See my thread here for details:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=109129

Its working for me, but as other people have pointed out it is very expensive so you may want to try another product if you do this. I like my acnelamp now that I have it - its like a sunken cost. It has a 90 day satisfaction guarantee and a 3 year warranty on the device itself.

I also have a lumiport light pen which works well. This light treatment is very gentle on my skin and very effective so far. I would recommend it, although it is said it doesn't work for some people so you have to keep that in mind.

i have also purchased the acne lamp red/blue combo single head.

noticed a difference in the first 3 days, my skin is very clear now but i cant blame it all on the light, I changed my regimen so much over the last two weeks cant say at this time how much the light is doing but i did notice that it did help when i first started using it.

right now my regimen is the all natural(no topicals at all) method and i use the light every other day for 15 minutes.

its only been like two weeks total so its really too soon to give my full opinion. but its helping so i will continue to use it.

I might buy off AcneLamp now, can you use them with topicals btw??

How long did it take to come?

Mine took about a week or 10 days to come. It shipped from California and I live on the East Coast. I used it with BP for a while and didn't notice any problems. Now I am using it with no topicals at all.

I think BP and the lights kill bacteria in similar ways. The blue light excites a chemical that the bacteria make, and that causes oxygen free radicals to be formed. The oxygen then kills the P. Acne bacteria which hate oxygen and try to get away from it by living down in a clogged pore. But the light can penetrate through the skin to some extent, and reach the bacteria in there.

BP also creates or maybe contains oxygen and that kills P. Acne. The only thing I'm not sure about is if BP creates or contains O2, and not O-. O- being a free radical which we don't like in our bodies. Maybe someone else can enlighten us further on this. My impression is that we like to eat "anti-oxidants" to clean up free radical oxygen in the body before it can damage our cells.

I just found another company while surfing the web called Radiance. They are using green light because they say it penetrates the skin more deeply, but it doesn't create as much oxygen as the blue light. They have a nice little animation on their site which shows P. Acne as little purple bugs walking down into a pore and white blood cells coming over to attack them. Then the light is turned on and oxygen gets formed and kills the creatures representing P. Acne.

Guest ~Wolfy~

I'm not sure. I checked the specs on the product. They seem to be claiming that acnelamp is 100x more powerful (produces 100x more blue light on the treated area). So you would expect that you wouldn't need to use it so long. But they recommend the same treatment length as anyone else.

Either they've fucked up their treatment regime, or the intensity is largely irrelevant to how well the bacteria dies and your acne improves. In which case, their trumpeting how powerful their lamp is is just advertising bullshit. And their lamp is fairly expensive.

But then that would imply they could just use less LEDs and add a diffuser on the front... (shakes head) and they could make their device much cheaper. Dunno, don't get it.

I'm not sure. I checked the specs on the product. They seem to be claiming that acnelamp is 100x more powerful (produces 100x more blue light on the treated area). So you would expect that you wouldn't need to use it so long. But they recommend the same treatment length as anyone else.

Either they've fucked up their treatment regime, or the intensity is largely irrelevant to how well the bacteria dies and your acne improves. In which case, their trumpeting how powerful their lamp is is just advertising bullshit. And their lamp is fairly expensive.

But then that would imply they could just use less LEDs and add a diffuser on the front... (shakes head) and they could make their device much cheaper. Dunno, don't get it.

This is mainly why I went with the acnelamp - because of the table on their website that shows how the intensity of blue light from their lamps is much greater than the others. It could all be BS, but then again who knows. With limited information, that is what I went with.

Try google on LED and maby there's LED for sale. It's not even hard to make your own lamp. It shouldnt.

What I do not understand... What is the diffrent between the red LED and a white lamp that you've painted red...

Hi, I am new to this board, but have periodically searched through it to find info. I was able to find out that some people are talking about 2 different light therapies you can buy online - Acnelamp and Lumiport. After doing alot of research online and emailing the manufacturers, I have come to the conclusion that I trust the Acnelamp more. To address Wolfy's concern above, I decided to look up the websites of the manufacturers of the professional light machines used in dermatologist's offices. I looked at their specs and compared it to the Acnelamp, Lumiport, ect. Turns out that the Acnelamp has the closest or same wavelength basically (417nm versus 415 +/- 5) then the other products. The intensity part that Wolfy is talking about does seem to be a factor for the ones used in dermatologist's offices. The intensity of the 3 professional ones I found seems to be in the range of 40mw/cm2 - 50mw/cm2. If you look at the comparison chart on the Acnelamp website, you can see that they report the intensity by uw/cm2 instead of mw/cm2. However, if you move the decimal place over 3 places to the left, then you get a comparalbe intensity. So, the intensity for blue light of the acnelamp penlight, it is 18.340 versus only 4.868 for the lumiport. Now I am just guessing that since the professional ones have a stronger intensity, that it would make sense to buy a home product that can get as close as possible in strength to the professional ones. However, it is still unknown if the intensity of the Acnelamp is enough to provide as good results as the professional lights used in the docs office OR if the intensity is even a real factor in it's effectiveness anyways. However, another selling point for me, is that Acnelamp also makes professional lights for the doctors too, so I tend to trust them more. They did say that there are no UV or infrared wavelenghts and the reason for the goggles is because the light is bright and could cause damage. And the same is true for the ones used in the docs offices. Additionally, the Acnelamp handheld (blue/red for $150) looks like it will cover a larger area than the lumiport does for the same price. And the reason they use LED is because these types of bulbs will last a lifetime or for 10,000 uses, which is why the professional ones use LED too. I know some people have talked about buying bulbs and putting it into their own light, but I would not trust them. I am not saying that Lumiport is not a good product, but I tend to now lean toward the Acnelamp given all the above information. I still do not know for sure though, how important intensity really is, but I feel better buying the device that most closely resembles the professional ones. At the same time, I hope this will save me money and have similar results because I imagine the light therapy in the derms office is quite more expensive.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Ok, I've worked it out; no, you're wrong.

To address Wolfy's concern above, I decided to look up the websites of the manufacturers of the professional light machines used in dermatologist's offices. I looked at their specs and compared it to the Acnelamp, Lumiport, ect. Turns out that the Acnelamp has the closest or same wavelength basically (417nm versus 415 +/- 5) then the other products. The intensity part that Wolfy is talking about does seem to be a factor for the ones used in dermatologist's offices. The intensity of the 3 professional ones I found seems to be in the range of 40mw/cm2 - 50mw/cm2. If you look at the comparison chart on the Acnelamp website, you can see that they report the intensity by uw/cm2 instead of mw/cm2. However, if you move the decimal place over 3 places to the left, then you get a comparalbe intensity. So, the intensity for blue light of the acnelamp penlight, it is 18.340 versus only 4.868 for the lumiport. Now I am just guessing that since the professional ones have a stronger intensity, that it would make sense to buy a home product that can get as close as possible in strength to the professional ones.

Everything makes sense to me except for acne taking 3 months to clear up. Its just not clear how, if all the bacteria is gone, you will still keep getting what look to be zits, which need the bacteria to form - unless they are caused by something else, or in fact they are not zits but just damaged pores gradually growing out. But they sure look the same as zits.

The other scenario I can imagine is that many bacteria have penetrated below the surface of the skin, inside pores and inside damaged pores. Our treatments, be they BP or blue light may not get all the bacteria below the surface. So we may keep the surface clean, while those bacteria surviving below continue to form zits for some time until they are finally killed down to a level where they can't have this effect.

On another subject, if it is in fact true that derms use more intense lights because the treatments are sporadic, then it would follow that with a more intense home light you should be able to use it less with good results. My Acnelamp instructions in fact do say that you may be able to scale back the treatments after some time, so maybe I can get some advantage out of this lamp after all. Right now I'm still going with the 15 mins per area per day.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Everything makes sense to me except for acne taking 3 months to clear up. Its just not clear how, if all the bacteria is gone, you will still keep getting what look to be zits, which need the bacteria to form - unless they are caused by something else, or in fact they are not zits but just damaged pores gradually growing out. But they sure look the same as zits.

No, they're zits. The bacteria has caused the skin to react really badly- the pores all clogged up- it takes ages to unclog. Half the comedones haven't resolved yet after 3 months, but the trend is still going up.

n.b. the bacteria that forms the actual zit isn't P.Acnes, it's other bacteria like Staphylocus; the blue light does nothing to that bacteria, and the tetracyclines don't do much either. I saw a figure that 93% of acne sufferers have staph infections, compared with ~30% people with normal skin. But the acne isn't caused by the Staph- removing the staph with an antibiotic doesn't improve acne much because other bacteria like streptococcus take up the slack. I think an overgrowth of P.Acnes does something nasty to the skin production cycle and the pores block right up because the skin doesn't grow properly. P.Acnes is known to produce some chemicals that interact with the skins immune system.

The other scenario I can imagine is that many bacteria have penetrated below the surface of the skin, inside pores and inside damaged pores. Our treatments, be they BP or blue light may not get all the bacteria below the surface. So we may keep the surface clean, while those bacteria surviving below continue to form zits for some time until they are finally killed down to a level where they can't have this effect.

No, I don't think so. The oral antibiotics act in the same time period, but the antibiotics affect bacteria very quickly, thoroughly penetrating the pores within hours or days at most; BP acts the same way, blue light too. Even Accutane takes 4 months. It's possibly to do with the way the skin grows- I believe the skin cells form at the base of the skin and work their way to the surface; I think it takes about 3 months.

On another subject, if it is in fact true that derms use more intense lights because the treatments are sporadic, then it would follow that with a more intense home light you should be able to use it less with good results.

Yes, although the red light needs to be used everyday for optimal results. And the reason for using the blue light a bit everyday is to stop reinfection as much as possible.

My Acnelamp instructions in fact do say that you may be able to scale back the treatments after some time, so maybe I can get some advantage out of this lamp after all. Right now I'm still going with the 15 mins per area per day.

If it's causing you any redness then scale back until you get no redness; I recommend 10 minutes, but whatever works for you. The current medical theory is that Acne is caused by inflammation, redness is inflammation.