Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
longshot

mineral brushes and Joppa brushes

has anyone used Joppa brushes? Specifically, has anyone used the large synthetic kabuki brush or the chiseled synthetic powder brush? I currently am using the BE kabuki brush and powder brush and i like the way they apply the mineral makeup, except that i often have loose brush hairs stuck on my face. Does anyone know what hairs the brushes from BE are and how they compare to the synthetic Joppa brushes? Are natural brushes better for mineral application?

i use joppas chisel brush. its SO SOFT, and it never shed once... i also bought a kabuki on ebay because joppa's were out of stuck, and the one off ebay sucks compared to joppas chisel!

I can honestly say EDM Premium Kabuki is the best ever! Although it does shed quite a bit at first. It applies minerals flawlessly and it's very very soft! I'm loving it and the cost!

has anyone used Joppa brushes? Specifically, has anyone used the large synthetic kabuki brush or the chiseled synthetic powder brush? I currently am using the BE kabuki brush and powder brush and i like the way they apply the mineral makeup, except that i often have loose brush hairs stuck on my face. Does anyone know what hairs the brushes from BE are and how they compare to the synthetic Joppa brushes? Are natural brushes better for mineral application?

how much coverage are u looking for?

If you're looking for tons of coverage, I would suggest the Joppa flat dome brush instead. The chisel brush is nice and it gives good coverage, but for maximum coverage the flat dome is the best. None of the Joppa brushes shed and they are super soft.

I'm curious for the flat dome brush it looks like you can't buff it in your skin so i'm guessing it's for sweeping the face up and down or side to side? Also is this the same method where you tap and brush right?

Also any reviews on Joppa's Kabuki brush would like to know about those too..

Thanks!

i posted a similar question on the joppa message board and amy (the owner i think) responded

this is what i asked: i am looking for maximum coverage so i am considering purchasing the dome brush, but i am a little confused about how to use it. are you supposed to buff in a circular motion the same way you would with other brushes?

and this was her response: With our minerals it is not necessary to buff, applying with a brushing motion will work just fine and yes, you will receive the maximum coverage with the dome brush.

so i am a little confused about whether you dont buff because of the brush or the minerals??? does this mean that even if i used a kabuki brush with joppa minerals i would not buff in a circular motion?

either way it sounds like good news...like it would take less time to get better coverage! so i guess ill figure it out once they restock that dome brush!

Longshot,

the answer to your question is yes to both. You don't need to buff because the minerals offer a lot of coverage already so buffing is unnecessary. Other brands tell the users to buff because it pushes the minerals into the pores and make it look more matte, if you simply brush the minerals on the other brands don't cover as well. With Joppa, their coverage is so good that you don't need to buff, in fact if you do buff it would make the makeup look cakey. You almost have to start with a light hand and work your way up the the desired coverage.

Also you don't buff with the brush because it evenly distributes the powder, buffing with this type of brush will only push the minerals into your pores and clog them. How you should use the dome brush is to sweep the powder on in wide circles gently. It requires more of a sweeping motion than a small circle buffing motion.

My entire makeup routine in the morning takes 5 minutes, 2 mintues for foundation, powder and blush, and 3 for eye makeup. I absolutely love their prodcuts. Now if only the damn brush manufacturer come through with the brush orders already!

i am so excited...i ordered the foundation sampler kit, a blush and emu oil this morning! i hope i got my color right. depending on how much coverage i get with the foundation, i am either going to order the dome or the kabuki (i need a new brush cus my BE kabuki sheds too much and i thought it would shed less as it got older, but it has only shedded MORE!!!).

For those of you looking for a synthetic Kabuki brush, I found one that looks almost identical to the Joppa Kabuki brush. The company is called Choice Brush- their website is www.choicebrush.com. The brush is $10 and comes in several colors. I ordered 2 to try and they are out of this world!!! They are sooooo soft and depost the makeup very well. They are a little bigger than most kabuki brushes I have used, but the brush is easy to use and does get into the tight spots fairly well.

Ok, I have NO idea about which brushes are for what purpose O_O

Kabuki is for heavier coverage

Powder/Chisel is for adjustable coverage

Although most company will love to tell you that you need a special brush to put on mineral makeup, you really don't. If you already have a favorite brush, just go ahead and use that. I like the Joppa brush personally because it is the softest brush I ever used, but I also used other brushes too.

what kind of brush do you have already? chances are it will work just fine, but if you find that the makeup looks cakey, the brush may be the culprit. although you dont need a specific brush, you should probably get a brush that resembles a kabuki or a chiseled powder brush. you can see what they look like at joppaminerals.com. although i havent tried this myself, lots of people have used a paintbrush from an art store to apply the minerals. they test the paintbrush to see if its soft.

Yup, I'm one of those people who uses paint brush from craft stores. I use the Joppa chisel brush to put on the foundation and I use a big powder brush I got from Michaels for the finishing silk. Works fine for me. I think the chisel brush won't work well as a setting powder brush, it'll put on too much powder. You need something big and fluffy for setting powder.

I have a couple different brand brushes that I get from Target. But I'm probably gonna cave and get a kabuki one from choicebrush.com just cuz they're so pretty! Although the blue one I want is sold out! Drats.

either way it sounds like good news...like it would take less time to get better coverage! so i guess ill figure it out once they restock that dome brush!

hmm.. i just checked the joppa site and they are STILL out of both brushes i want (the chiseled and the flat dome one). argh! i want to hold off on buying my sample kit until the brushes are in, but i don't want to wait weeks!

also, i know people were talking recently about how hypersensitive skins could react to less-than-soft brushes. since i definitely have hypersensitive skin -- does anyone who's used these goat-hair brushes find them soft enough? also, in the photo on the joppa site, they appear to be dyed. can you tell if they are?

thank youuuuuu (i love acne.org, don't you? :D)

I could be wrong, but the mini flat dome brush at choicebrush.com looks exactly like the one the Joppa site offers. I just ordered a kabuki brush from that site because it also looks like Joppa's.

I never tried any of the brushes at choicebrush but I do admit they are very similar. Good luck! Let me know if they're super soft like Joppa's, I'm always in the market for good brushes.

IPB ImageIPB Image

hey guys... the first brush is advertised as being the "chiseled" brush, but the second (slanty) brush is the one that comes with the starter kit. i'm confused -- are they the same (but don't happen to look the same in photos)?

i want the slanty brush. i'd like to to email amy and ask it will be in, but if i say "chiseled" will she know which one i'm talking about?

No, the slanted brush is a blush brush, not for foundation use. The chisel brush is the one pictured in your post. Also the slanted brush is made of goat hair I believe, while the chisel brush is synthetic.