Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Choosing a university  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which I should choose?

• Stay at current one
    • Go to the new one

Hello every one.

I need a little help with choosing wich way to go. Topic isn't acne related, so don't be surprised.

This is how it looks like:

Two years ago I was going to university. I wanted to study at University of Technology, which is considered t obe 2nd the best in teachin computer science (faculty I've chosen) in my country. But I failed the entrance exam. However I was accepted on other university, where now I'm starting 3rd year. But this one isn't so good, I don't like how it teaches and many people I know think the same. I'm starting 3rd year and don't really think I've learned much. But this year I gave myself one more chance t otry to get to tjis univ of technology i wanted before. I was accepted. And here's the problem, cause in few days academic year starts and I cant decide which university to go to. If I'll go to new one I'll waste 2 years, if I'll stay on this I may have more trouble to find good job. There's no option I can stard on 3rd year on second univ, according to my marks from the first one, I have t ostart from the begining. And the question to you is what would you do if you were me? Does the rank of university matters? Is it worth to t ostart all over? Maybe I should stay here and just try to learn more by myself cause what really matters is what I can and the univ is just needed t ogive me the masters diploma, so it doesn't really matters which univ I will have it from. Please vote, and thankyou kindly for all the votes, comments are even more welcome.

Marcin

If you're reading this, please place a vote!! It only takes a few seconds t oread my poste and then to place a vote. This will really help me :)

I think, that you should go with what your heart tells you, cheesy but whatever. :D and it sort of sounds as though you'd have a much better time at the other place that you're at now. However, 2 years is a lot of time to have to repeat but if you haven't really learnt that much then it'll be useful to go over it again. Basically you've just got to decide whether staying at university for an extra 2years will be better in the long run compared to staying at the one you're at. Sorry, that didn't really help did it :confused: ...last year though, I had to decide whether to retake some courses at my current school, meaning i'd be there for an extra year or whether to leave and go somewhere else instead. The way i came to a conclusion was to imagine myself in either situation and see which one i'd regret the most, if that makes any sense? whatever choice you make, good luck

I think, that you should go with what your heart tells you, cheesy but whatever. :D and it sort of sounds as though you'd have a much better time at the other place that your at now. However, 2 years is a lot of time to have to repeat but if you haven't really learnt that much then it'll be useful to go over it again. Basically you just gotta decide whether staying at university for an extra 2years will be better in the long run compared to staying at the one you're at. Sorry, that didn't really help did it :confused: ...last year though, I had to decide whether to retake some courses at my current school, meaning i'd be there for an extra year or whether to leave and go somewhere else instead. The way i came to a conclusion was to imagine myself in either situation and see which one i'd regret the most, if that makes any sense? whatever choice you make, good luck ;)

Thanks good idea. It helps when I imagine myself in both situations, well at least it helps to realize what I would regret cause still doesn't give me the anwser, Im so confused........:(

from what I've heard, all jobs really care about is that you have a degree. a big company won't take you if you can't perform, even if you do have a Harvard degree. As long as you have a degree and can prove you know what you're talking about, that's all that matters.

Well you are kind of wrong. Jobs first look at where you went to school and what other jobs you have had which are a result of where you went to school. Any worthwhile job is going after people who graduated with good grades from great schools. Higher paying degrees depend a lot of what school you went and this determines how much you get paid. MBA's especially get paid directly from what school the person went to. If you don't believe it, read up about how important it is to go to a top 10 or 20 school in a country and how this affects your lifetime pay. They have hundreds of charts with expected pay out of college once you get accepted to go to the college. I went to a top engineering school in the US and that is one of the main reasons why the employer ever looked at my resume to begin with. School reputation is everything.

So to the OP, start over if it has a better reputation. You can only go to college once in your life so why not go to the best college you possibly can go to? It's like saying for the US, you are at a college for 2 of 4 years and suddenly get accepted to Harvard or Yale and then you say "I don't want to, I lost 2 years of my life" Actually from how much you WILL be getting paid, it is a much worth it 2 years.

Case closed.

:ninja:

Thank you Necromancer for bringing new point of view.

You can only go to college once in your life

Well taht would be my second, lol

Case closed.

I open it again, it's not closed yet, please vote and comment. Thankyou in priori.

i would go to the new one... you said at your current one you havent learned anything. if you stayed there and finished school and if you got hired for a job, wouldn't you be worried you wouldnt be able to perform? then its not a waste of 2 years (liek if you switch to a new school), its a waste of alll your years at college and its pretty much useless. you probalby payed alot of money and wasted a lot of time at a place that doesnt give you a career.

i think of it this way. its your career and your life.. why keep wasting time at a place you're not learning anything. it wont help you in the future at all. i would go to the good school, get a good education and get hopefully you will find a good job and acutally be able to do your job because you learned at school what you needed for the real world and thats its purpose =)

i would go to the new one... you said at your current one you havent learned anything. if you stayed there and finished school and if you got hired for a job, wouldn't you be worried you wouldnt be able to perform? then its not a waste of 2 years (liek if you switch to a new school), its a waste of alll your years at college and its pretty much useless. you probalby payed alot of money and wasted a lot of time at a place that doesnt give you a career.

i think of it this way. its your career and your life.. why keep wasting time at a place you're not learning anything. it wont help you in the future at all. i would go to the good school, get a good education and get hopefully you will find a good job and acutally be able to do your job because you learned at school what you needed for the real world and thats its purpose =)

Well, I need to straighten out. It's not like I haven't learned anything, the thing is that i sudy computer science and about 65% of what they teach me is mathematics(teoretical), and the remainig 35% of what I consider the most importand isn't such t othe univ and the level of this subject is low in my opinion. This is different in the other univ, which is more practical (univ of technology), there's definietly less math