Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigPore

How do you know when a boil needs to be lanced?

I have a boil or something on my a$$. It hurts. It hurts to sit down! It's been there for a while.

It doesn't have a head nor do I think it will get one. It is deep purple.

Should I get it lanced? Or will it go away on its own? What if I don't get it lanced?

BTW, I'm on Accutane. BP makes the thing worse. Cortisone cream seems to control the swelling. Neosporin doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm on Zirthomax for an unrelated infection.

lol. sorry, but i had to get it out of the way :)

anyway, i have no idea what to tell you, but if it hurts, i'd go to the doc and see what he/she thinks. at least if it needs to be lanced, they can do it properly in a sterile environment as opposed to you bent over in front of a mirror in your bathroom with a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a sewing needle.

good luck. this doesn't sound fun.

At the store like Walmart or something like it, look for some drawing salve. I know there is one called "Boil ease" It should be near the neo and prep H and stuff. It forces it to come to a head. Soaking in a hot tub of water with help too. I only had to have one lanced by a doc. Hopefully you won't continue to get them. I had them off and on for about 5 years.

Good luck!

Hello BigPore. About a couple of years ago, I got a boil and that thing hurt like hell. I was afraid to go to the doctor so I had my boyfriend take care of it for me. It hurt so bad that I know how you feel. If you feel a constant thumping like a nerve then it is a boil. Just take care of it a.sa.p. because they can spread to other areas "if you know what I mean". Make sure to take some antibiotics as well. Good Luck. :angel:

There is a drawing salve called ichthamol or somthing like that. It is think and dark. May contain sulfur or something. I got some I think at Walgreens. Had to ask the pharmacy for it. If you wear it with a large bandaid over it for several days, it should draw it out and it helps heal it as well. Don't go poking it with a needle since it might get worse.