Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all...

So i just wanted to give you my experience on B5 supplements just in case any of you are thinking of trying it or experienced the same side effects. I started using B5 in the winter of 2003 and was amazed with the results....i was addicted. However, i became pregnant and maybe about 3 or 4 weeks pregnant I stopped using the product...i didn't know I was preg at first. My baby did get a birth defect called Gastroschisis which is when the baby's organs hang out of a little tear next to their belly buttons while their in the womb. In my daughter's case, all of her intestines and a bit of her liver were out. Thank god she didn't have any other complications with the defect which many other babies do. The doctor's were able to get her insides back in and stich her up good as new and she was out of the NICU by the 12th day after she was born. But let me tell you....I have no idea what it was caused from, there is no known cause of this defect; however, more and more studies point to vitamin deficiencies, environment (like pollution, toxic chemicals in the house, etc.) and more. So you can just imagine that to this day, I still blame myself and think it was the B5 supplements. There are no known side effects from this pill on unborn fetuses...maybe there are but the fact that there is no real hard literature on research of megadosing on B5 makes it clear that we just can't be sure. So be careful in that regard. The main side effect I had on B5 was hair loss.

Anyway...after i had the baby and breastfed for a few months my acne (hormonal....the worse kind) came back worse than ever in my entire life. Its was on my back my jawline....underneath my jawline...my cheeks...chin...forehead...etc. I was confined to my home for I did not want to be seen in public. And when I did go out i had tons of makeup on and i kept my long hair down covering as much of my face as possible. I looked like freakin wedensday from the Addam's Family. LOL! So I got back on B5....again, loved the results. But again I was losing hair. But since i had a baby I thought well maybe its the natural hair loss from having the baby. So i waited it out. but nope the hair kept falling out. SO i went to the dermatologist and she gave me something I never heard of...Sprionolactone. That is a Godsend and I have never been so clear in my entire LIFE...hands down!!! I just never would get a zit...not even little itty bitty ones that you get sometimes from sweat or it just being really humid outside. nada...I was in love. I had confidence that I have never had....i wore my hair up in a pony tail every freakin day and i finally never had to wear makeup for my skin didn't have one scar and was finally evenly toned.

BUT THEN....my dermatologist left to open a private clinic. I had to see the new derm at my doctor's office and she is totally against prescribing Spironolactone to women in the childbearing years, regardless if you are on birth control of any form. I cried my eyes out in her office cause of the emotional pain of realizing that I was going to have acne again. She told me that spironolactone causes severe genital defects in babies and if I were to get pregnant, I could have a baby that had androgynous genitalia. Ok, so I understand her concern, but I totally feel like she is unethical by bringing in all of her subjective points of view on pregnancy and my sex life. I didn't argue with her. She has prescribed my retin-A and minocyclin, which I hope once I get, will do the trick but i am living in fear of getting acne again. Especially on my back...that was the worse.

Anyway in between visits when she would not refll my spiro and I hadn't yet seen her to get my new prescribed regime...i started taking B5 again cause I just did not want to get acne again. This time my hair immediately started shedding again....and I mean shedding...its disgusting!!!!! Not only that, but another side effect began that I forgot occured the other times i was on it....DANDRUFF. I swear i can wash my hair every day with anti-dandruff treatment and I'll still get some. Anyway, i remember when I used to by Vitacure's brand of B5, one of the things they mentioned in the literature they send with it is that if you are predisposed to hair loss, then megadosing on b5 can accelerate it. And my family has a history of hair thinning. So i am causing that process to occur at age 26 rather than later in my life and much more rapidly than gradually. This being the third time around on this stuff and my hair falling out all day long, I have decided its just not worth it. I love my long beautiful hair and I'm sick of bald spots and it just not being as full as it used to. I'm also sick of the dandruff. I am going to just work with the dermatologist and try to figure something else out. I'd rather have the acne then no hair at 26 years old.

Guest been13years

I'm sorry you've had such a rollercoaster ride with B5 and spiro and meany derms. I'm on B5 and haven't had any good effects from it YET, but neither have I lost any hair. In fact, I am losing less hair now than before I started taking 10g a day of it. I, too, am going to try and get spiro from my derm next Tuesday. It's my last stop before Accutane.

I think it's really crappy that your derm wouldn't prescribe spiro since it had proven effective for you. My opinion on this is: if you don't need at-home care and can read, you should be trusted to not get pregnant while on a drug that could cause birth defects. I mean, if doctors are going to do this to women who aren't preg and not planning on it any time soon, shouldn't they also be going around yanking venti starbucks and sacks of kitty litter away from pregnant women or all women of childbearing age? Or better yet, if they're so concerned with birth defects, why don't they start lobbying Congress to do something about our drinking water, hormones in meat, and air pollution?

:mad:

I'm sorry you've had such a rollercoaster ride with B5 and spiro and meany derms. I'm on B5 and haven't had any good effects from it YET, but neither have I lost any hair. In fact, I am losing less hair now than before I started taking 10g a day of it. I, too, am going to try and get spiro from my derm next Tuesday. It's my last stop before Accutane.

I think it's really crappy that your derm wouldn't prescribe spiro since it had proven effective for you. My opinion on this is: if you don't need at-home care and can read, you should be trusted to not get pregnant while on a drug that could cause birth defects. I mean, if doctors are going to do this to women who aren't preg and not planning on it any time soon, shouldn't they also be going around yanking venti starbucks and sacks of kitty litter away from pregnant women or all women of childbearing age? Or better yet, if they're so concerned with birth defects, why don't they start lobbying Congress to do something about our drinking water, hormones in meat, and air pollution?

:mad:

:D :D :D Seriously!!! Thank you for having my back on this issue! I actually started crying in front of the stupid doctor and her nurse, while I was holding my baby girl on my lap. She was like, "No mommy, no mommy" and hugging on to me cause she hates to see me sad. And the doctor had no sympathy. Her and the nurse just stood there and I had to ask for freakin tissue five minutes into this with tears all running down my face. I mean, they couldn't even offer me a tissue!!?? The doctor said, i'm not gonna budge on this. I was like, "First of all, I have not even once argued with you on this, second of all, stop speaking to me like I'm some naive little teenage that hasn't researched all of my possibilities". I wish my old doctor was still there. Becasue I'm on medi-cal i have to get referals to see speciality doctors like dermatologists and since my scheduled appointments have already been authorized through the insurance i'm stuck with this biatch for a minute. UGH!!!

Hey all...

So i just wanted to give you my experience on B5 supplements just in case any of you are thinking of trying it or experienced the same side effects. I started using B5 in the winter of 2003 and was amazed with the results....i was addicted. However, i became pregnant and maybe about 3 or 4 weeks pregnant I stopped using the product...i didn't know I was preg at first. My baby did get a birth defect called Gastroschisis which is when the baby's organs hang out of a little tear next to their belly buttons while their in the womb. In my daughter's case, all of her intestines and a bit of her liver were out. Thank god she didn't have any other complications with the defect which many other babies do. The doctor's were able to get her insides back in and stich her up good as new and she was out of the NICU by the 12th day after she was born. But let me tell you....I have no idea what it was caused from, there is no known cause of this defect; however, more and more studies point to vitamin deficiencies, environment (like pollution, toxic chemicals in the house, etc.) and more. So you can just imagine that to this day, I still blame myself and think it was the B5 supplements. There are no known side effects from this pill on unborn fetuses...maybe there are but the fact that there is no real hard literature on research of megadosing on B5 makes it clear that we just can't be sure. So be careful in that regard. The main side effect I had on B5 was hair loss.

Anyway...after i had the baby and breastfed for a few months my acne (hormonal....the worse kind) came back worse than ever in my entire life. Its was on my back my jawline....underneath my jawline...my cheeks...chin...forehead...etc. I was confined to my home for I did not want to be seen in public. And when I did go out i had tons of makeup on and i kept my long hair down covering as much of my face as possible. I looked like freakin wedensday from the Addam's Family. LOL! So I got back on B5....again, loved the results. But again I was losing hair. But since i had a baby I thought well maybe its the natural hair loss from having the baby. So i waited it out. but nope the hair kept falling out. SO i went to the dermatologist and she gave me something I never heard of...Sprionolactone. That is a Godsend and I have never been so clear in my entire LIFE...hands down!!! I just never would get a zit...not even little itty bitty ones that you get sometimes from sweat or it just being really humid outside. nada...I was in love. I had confidence that I have never had....i wore my hair up in a pony tail every freakin day and i finally never had to wear makeup for my skin didn't have one scar and was finally evenly toned.

BUT THEN....my dermatologist left to open a private clinic. I had to see the new derm at my doctor's office and she is totally against prescribing Spironolactone to women in the childbearing years, regardless if you are on birth control of any form. I cried my eyes out in her office cause of the emotional pain of realizing that I was going to have acne again. She told me that spironolactone causes severe genital defects in babies and if I were to get pregnant, I could have a baby that had androgynous genitalia. Ok, so I understand her concern, but I totally feel like she is unethical by bringing in all of her subjective points of view on pregnancy and my sex life. I didn't argue with her. She has prescribed my retin-A and minocyclin, which I hope once I get, will do the trick but i am living in fear of getting acne again. Especially on my back...that was the worse.

Anyway in between visits when she would not refll my spiro and I hadn't yet seen her to get my new prescribed regime...i started taking B5 again cause I just did not want to get acne again. This time my hair immediately started shedding again....and I mean shedding...its disgusting!!!!! Not only that, but another side effect began that I forgot occured the other times i was on it....DANDRUFF. I swear i can wash my hair every day with anti-dandruff treatment and I'll still get some. Anyway, i remember when I used to by Vitacure's brand of B5, one of the things they mentioned in the literature they send with it is that if you are predisposed to hair loss, then megadosing on b5 can accelerate it. And my family has a history of hair thinning. So i am causing that process to occur at age 26 rather than later in my life and much more rapidly than gradually. This being the third time around on this stuff and my hair falling out all day long, I have decided its just not worth it. I love my long beautiful hair and I'm sick of bald spots and it just not being as full as it used to. I'm also sick of the dandruff. I am going to just work with the dermatologist and try to figure something else out. I'd rather have the acne then no hair at 26 years old.

aww i'm soo sorry you have to go through all this.

Well i just changed my mind again after reading your post :(

I don't think I want to take b5 now..ahhh