Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
psyph

Ryan's accutane log!

Hello everyone. Before starting accutane i read a lot of people's accutane journals and realized how much it helped me in my decision. So, i thought i'd start one of my own. My history: I'm a 19 yr male and have had acne for about 4 years (since junior year in highschool). Back then it wasn't so bad, mostly just red spots, but not until recently did i start getting cysts along my jawline and neck, and more whiteheads everywhere. I used a lot before like retinA, minocycline, differin, doxycycline, and benzaclin. The benzaclin is what worked for me for about 3 years but i guess it just can't handle my acne anymore. Anyways, i started my first dose today (i'm at 40mg a day). I'm excited because finally i know i'm starting something that has the best chance of working. So if anyone here has already been on accutane, currently on accutane, or just starting, i'd like to hear from you. Well since this is only my first day on accutane i have no side effects yet or any other changes for that matter. I'll try and update a few times a week. Take care!

Hey psyph, good luck with your accutane journey!!!!!

I started with the pills yesterday, so I am new with it too. My startdose is 20 mg.

Let's see how it goes right! :)

Hi kids. Starting today with 40mg. I have my doubts since I'm 40 and have had no success with anything except Doxycycline. I started the CSR and it's helped a little.

Good luck to us all.

Platinum

Hey thanks for posting on my log. I'd like to continue hearing from you so please feel free to update me on your progress and i'll be sure to do the same!

So today is my second day of accutane and i don't see any changes yet. For the past 3 years until yesterday, i've been using benzaclin in the morning and at night and it's been working pretty well at reducing the severity of my breakouts, but hasn't really done anything to clear up my skin completely. Because i've been doing the same regimen day and night for that long i've become attached to that medication and if i ever missed an application i was sure to break out within 3 days. So today was the first time in months that i didn't put on the benzaclin and i hope i don't break out too bad because of that. It's only day 2 so i don't have much to update on yet but i'll be posting again this week. As for my skin, it still feels and looks the same, maybe a bit more oily than usual but i think its because i stopped putting on the benzaclin.

Hello, welcome to the accutane roller coaster. My skin got oiler in the first week or two but then it disappeared, fast!! So maybe the same will happen to you. Best of luck to ya.

Alright Day 7!!!!

cool so it's been a week and i must say that so far so good. THe first 2-3 days didn't feel any different, except i had these small headaches. Those went away already but now i'm dealing with these dry, burning lips. I accidentally bit the tip of my toungue the other day and it bled pretty bad, so now i have these split lips and everytime i try to lick them my toungue hurts so bad. As for my acne, it probably got a little worse from when i started accutane a week ago but it's nothing too bad yet, maybe a cyst on each side of my jaw and one or two whiteheads on each cheek, I've had worse before so nothing to really worry about yet hopefully. One thing i have to mention is that i can already feel less oily. It feels great! like before, i'd take a shower and feel all clean and everything but an hour later after my skin produces oil i feel kinda dirty again. Now i feel clean throughout the day. I actually even thought that i had taken a shower one evening even though i hadn't because my skin felt so non-oily still. Also, i took the pack of accutane out of the box because i hate having to fight with it. and my friends came over this weekend and found a bunch of those cutouts of the pregnant woman with the X over her and they thought i got a girl pregnant and bought some pills to keep her from having the baby. haha. my goal is to start clearing up by winter break which is a good 2 and a half months away, i don't know if that'll be enough time but it would be awesome if it did.

Day 8

Ok so remember the slight breakout i was having yesterday? well it got worse. I now have a lot of cysts along my jawline. Maybe 2 or 3 of them are huge and the rest aren't too big but theyre still uncomfortable. No new whiteheads on my cheeks though so thats good i guess. Also, I've been feeling a bit more oily than i did over the weekend, i thought i was done being oily but i guess not. Oh yea, last night i was feeling kinda out of it. I was so tired and kinda not motivated to do anything and all i did was watch tv. I didn't go to any of my classes that day either. I got kinda worried that it might be the accutane, so i decided to do something and ended up going to the gym. After that workout i felt a whole lot better, i was actually pretty happy. I still didn't go to any of my classes today but at least i wasn't feeling out of it. haha. BUT I only missed them because i was late and missed the bus and didn't wanna walk. I did go to work though! anyways, this breakout, according my past experiences, is a pretty bad one and i hope it doesn't get worse because it's kinda more worse than the one's i used to have pre-accutane. I dunno if its the initial breakout?? i was thinking it might be too early for that but if it is the IB then i welcome it. haha. my lips aren't so dry and chapped anymore and i'm only using carmex. my hair is feeling a bit more dry but i guess thats a good thing? so yea. I'll update soon. Take care!

Oh yea another thing: are you supposed to take and pass a quiz thing on the ipledge website in order to receive your prescription for the month? I went on the website and read something and understood that i did but i could just be trippin. anyways if anyone has the answer please let me know. THanks!

Hey :-

Carmex rules! I use it too and I love this stuff, makes it soft and it's little cold feeling I can't be without it now and I bought myself 3 sticks today haha, the best IPB Image

I had these small headaches too, but it's gone now.

Ok so it turns out that i miss-counted the days i have been on accutane. Today is actually day 10. i realized that because i just finished my first pack of accutane. Anyways my breakout is getting worse and i feel really oily, probably even more oily than i was before starting accutane, SO, i am guessing that this is my initial breakout because it really does feel like everything that was underneath my skin is pushing out, or "purging" i think is the term. Man i really do hope this breakout goes away soon because it's really getting to me. I have a lot of cysts along my jawline still, although a few of them have gone to the surface and i think i might be able to do something about them tonight. the existing pimples i had on my cheeks and forehead have become bigger and i actually got two cysts on the right side and one on the left. The thing is that i never used to get cysts on my cheeks or forehead so this is something new. The good thing is is that i live in an apartment where i go to school and 2 of my roomates have taken accutane a few years ago so i have people i can talk to about it. I'll update soon!

Also, i'm starting to not like how the carmex makes my lips feel all greasy. any suggestions for a good lip moisturizer that isn't thick and greasy?

day 11

my face doesn't seem as oily today as before and hopefully it stays that way. My breakout finally calmed down but i can tell that it's gonna be a while to recover from it. I still have 3 big cysts on my right cheek and forehead. The pimples on my left cheek are getting smaller but i still have plenty of cysts along my jawline. Also, my lips and gums feel all wierd. They're not really dry or anything but it just feels like my saliva is really thick like i just ran 2 miles without drinking any water. My brother said it's cotton mouth but i have no idea what that is so if anyone knows what i'm experiencing please respond. Other than that i'm doing pretty good, i'm just waiting till i recover from this terrible breakout.

haven't updated in a while because nothing too new has changed.

I believe i'm on day 24 and as of now i see a big improvement since i got my first breakout. I noticed that the oil died down a lot starting day 15 and it has been gone till now and it feel awesome. Even though i'm still dealing with the aftermath of my first breakout, just the feeling of not being oily makes me feel better about it. I go back to my derm in exactly a week so i hope my bloodtest comes out fine and that she bumps me up to 60mg a day. I dunno about going on 80mg cause i feel like it'll be too high for me. at least for now. oh yea i forgot to mention that my back has cleared up pretty nicely since starting accutane. I used to always have about 3-4 active cysts on my back and plenty of whiteheads before starting accutane and now all i have are the post-acne marks but it seems like they're fading.

Today is day 31. I had my derm appointment today and I got bumped up to 80mg from 40mg. I have high hopes for this second month at a higher dose because my derm said that a lot of her patients taking accutane start seeing good results during month 2.

Just a recap of my first month: at the end of my first week on accutane i had a terrible breakout, accompanied by more oil than i had before starting accutane. The next 3 weeks my face was steadily recovering from the breakout but the recovering seemed to slow down which left me with the same bumps from the breakout just smaller. My oil went away probably around day 15 and it hasn't come back yet. Some days it feels a bit more oily than others but it is definitely less oily than before i started accutane. THe main side effect i experienced was dry lips and tiredness. I've just been using carmex for the dry lips. I've been sleeping a lot more since starting accutane but i've been trying to reverse that by going to the gym more often and sleeping earlier. Doing that gave me a lot more energy and lessened the feeling i had of being on accutane. In one sentence, as of right now my acne is a bit worse than before starting accutane. However, Not including the initial breakout i had, i haven't had another breakout since.

I'm hoping that increasing to 80mg doesn't give me another terrible breakout. Has anyone experienced another bad breakout after increasing your dosage?

DAY 37

I was upped to 80mg a day starting last last week but for the first 4 days i was only taking 60mg (80mg one day and 40mg the next). So technically i've been on 80mg a day for only two days now.

My face was actually clearing up to the point where it was before starting accutane meaning that my initial breakout cleared. HOWEVER i'm starting to break out again. i'm guessing it's because of the new dosage but either way i'm hoping it's not as bad as the first one. my forehead is completely cleared, my back only has the marks, but my cheeks and jawline are still pretty bumpy. I have 4 cysts on my right cheek, 3 of them are grouped together and one is by itself. i don't think i have any cysts on my left cheek but it is definitely more bumpy than my right side, especially along the jaw. man i just wanna clear up already. oh yea i forgot to mention that i had a bad headache on monday. i couldn't think clearly and i was throwing up frequently. i dunno if it was accutane related because i remember only having one meal that day.

i'm hoping that by thanksgiving (around day 60 or so) that i'll be seeing positive results and that by christmas i'll be somewhat cleared at least clearer than i was before starting accutane.

DAYY 50!! YEUH!

haven't updated in a while. day 50 and i think my skin is looking good. I did get another breakout after upping my dose from 40 to 80mg. It been almost 3 weeks since that breakout started but now that most of the bumps that came with it are gone, my skin looks way BETTER now than it did before starting accutane. The red marks that i thought were never going to fade are getting lighter and my overall complexing is looking good. I hope it's all good from here or at least i hope i don't get any more breakouts as crazy as my intial and the one after that.

Hey psyph. Glad things are getting better. I'm on day 48 and I my dosage was increased from 35mg to 70mg two weeks ago. I think I might be getting another breakout, just like you got. Its good to hear that things are improving and hope they continue to. Hope I'll be the same! :)