Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chance1843

Regimen Side Effects...

such as....

Skin more oily, or dryer, than before starting..

Face becoming red/blush, and never was..

Getting acne in areas you never had it before starting..

Bleached everything..

Possible bumps/clogged pores..

Anybody want to add to this list ?

Seems like a big price to pay to clear mild acne. This regimen is a catch-22. Others should be informed, or warned, about what they could POSSIBLY be getting into..

such as....

Bleached everything..

Seems like a big price to pay to clear mild acne. This regimen is a catch-22. Others should be informed, or warned, about what they could POSSIBLY be getting into..

Maybe you're applying it incorrectly. Also, the cure should match the illness, you may be over-shooting the mark a little.

It's true, basically all the stuff people are adding are ways to lessen these side effects from BP. We can figure out a solution for each side effect if we work together.

well you have to weigh up the pros and cons of the regimen, if u look and stay looking worse than b4 going on the regimen then come off it.

the regimen isnt for every1, to u have to make a choice to come off/stay on or consult your doctor or serm for an alternative method of treatment.

Try the accutane side effects, alot worse.

Its the price you have to pay for good skin I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, accutane is for moderate-severe acne. The regimen is recommended to work best with mild acne, which is what I have.

such as....

Bleached everything..

Maybe you're applying it incorrectly. Also, the cure should match the illness, you may be over-shooting the mark a little.

Again, this is a regimen for mild acne, my "illness". It should be for moderate acne only, because I think it just makes mild acne worse. And when I say mild, I actually mean mild. I've seen some people posting pictures, asking what level of acne they have, and the most likely response is "mild", usually just to make that person feel better. But in all likelihood, most people actually have moderate acne on these boards, and it seems to work best for them.

chance1843: yes, I do. Here we go...

Dan acne

super/mega zits

enlarged pores/ice pick scars

wrinkled skin

flakey skin

scaly skin

burning skin

itching skin

discoloration of skin

potential permant change in acne type

and lastly, permant skin damage

I believe that is everything when combined with your list. Nevertheless, some people manage to experience no side effects at all, although way too many have not been that fortunate...

.... some people manage to experience no side effects at all, although way too many have not been that fortunate...

Well, the nature of these boards is that people are MUCH more likely to post when they are having problems.

We don't hear as much from people having successes.

I wouldn't recommend applying BP to the whole face, I think that may be the root of the problem. It seems BP is a HUGE catch-22, I have acne while using it, though not severe enough for accutane by far. And if I stop using it, I'll have even MORE acne. So how do you end this vicious cycle ? ?

It obviously isn't working for you. The negatives must be out-weighing the positives. Time to move on and find another regimen. As you stated, it's truly mild acne.

I suggest a leave on Salicylic Acid based product, in a regimen along these lines;

A.M

-Wash with gentle cleanser

-Allow face to dry

-Apply SA product to entire face, or only spot treat effected areas if you desire*

-Allow 10-15 mins to absorb

-Apply SPF cream that contains moisturiser (the SPF one you've used with the reg)

P.M

-Allow face to dry

-Apply SA product to entire face, or only spot treat effected areas if you desire*

-Apply moisturiser (the non SPF one you've used with the reg)

*Spot treating, IMO, isn't advisable with BHA's or AHA's because they improve overall skin health, therefore meaning you can end up with altered tone, texture etc. between treated and un-treated areas.

Note: If you've not used SA before, ease into this kind of regimen. For the first 1-2 weeks consider applying the SA product once a day only. Probably easier of a night time.

Although there are many SA based products out there, you want to be careful because there are only a few good one's.

Check out some of the threads in here. Paula's choice BHA 2% seems to be amongst the most effective, and reputable. That would be the best bet.

It obviously isn't working for you. The negatives must be out-weighing the positives. Time to move on and find another regimen. As you stated, it's truly mild acne.

I suggest a leave on Salicylic Acid based product, in a regimen along these lines;

A.M

-Allow face to dry

-Apply SPF cream that contains moisturiser (the SPF one you've used with the reg)

P.M

-Allow face to dry

*Spot treating, IMO, isn't advisable with BHA's or AHA's because they improve overall skin health, therefore meaning you can end up with altered tone, texture etc. between treated and un-treated areas.

Note: If you've not used SA before, ease into this kind of regimen. For the first 1-2 weeks consider applying the SA product once a day only. Probably easier of a night time.

Although there are many SA based products out there, you want to be careful because there are only a few good one's.

Check out some of the threads in here. Paula's choice BHA 2% seems to be amongst the most effective, and reputable. That would be the best bet.

I currently have Paulas Choice BHA2%, I use it on my forehead for clogged pores. Are you saying I can stop using BP all together, and just use the SA once a day? Anyone do this?

A.M

-Allow face to dry

P.M

-Allow face to dry

I currently have Paulas Choice BHA2%, I use it on my forehead for clogged pores. Are you saying I can stop using BP all together, and just use the SA once a day? Anyone do this?

Absolutely you can stop the BP. The BHA just fights acne in a different way to BP. A better way that is. Exfoliates the skin, and literally inside the pore. Usually if you eliminate one mechanism of acne infections, the acne leaves. SA eliminates a few.

If you've used the stuff before to no real irritation, start using it all over your face, twice daily. And yes, alot of people are using BHA based regimens. Take a peek around some of the threads in here.

dont forget the red marks that lasts ages cos of BP. oh, i guess that goes under skin discoloration >_>

i have a side effect:

getting completely rid of active acne.

i especially like that one. its one of my faves.

its not exactly a big price to pay when there have been so many people that have gotten clear on the regimen.....

i have a side effect:

i especially like that one. its one of my faves. its not exactly a big price to pay when there have been so many people that have gotten clear on the regimen.....

Good one, Rawlin!!!!! :clap: I agree.

i have a side effect:

i especially like that one. its one of my faves.

its not exactly a big price to pay when there have been so many people that have gotten clear on the regimen.....

Well holy shit, good for you. That truly solves all my problems. Thanks for that informative input.

I seem to get little white bumps on my skin from the BP, but i get those on other places that i don't use BP so maybe i would get them anyway.

I seem to be the only person that clothes don't get bleached! I wonder why?

I seem to get little white bumps on my skin from the BP, but i get those on other places that i don't use BP so maybe i would get them anyway.

Cause you probably don't swim in the stuff like most people here do.

Cause you probably don't swim in the stuff like most people here do.

The worst side effect for me was having half of one of my eyebrows turn almost blonde :lol: I'm more careful how I apply bp now. Yep, I've bleached a couple of t-shirts, but what's that compared to hiding away because I was embarrassed to be seen at my age (37) with what is largely perceived to be a teenage condition?

I used Dan's regimen for about 7 mos, came off it, am having BAD problems, and have recently come back to it.

The only side effects I withstood the first time was some intial dryness. Nothing taxing and nothing that would ruin my day.

The whole CSR experience for me was life-changing; I have dealt with moderate-persistent acne for about five years now, and nothing has ever worked that successfully. It was even better than a course with antibiotics.

I went off the regimen for two months, and had midler but equally as persistent acne. With the change of season, my acne (esp. around my chin and jaw) got VERY bad, so I said screw this and went back on the CSR.

I am having some dryness and roughness, because the zits have to dry up before they can heal. When I wash my face, there IS some initial irritation and hardness, but after applying moisturizer, that goes away very successfully.

So that's my side of the story. As much as I dont' like the idea of treating my face with some chemical every day, I have had repeated success with BP, with VERY limited side effects.

such as....

Bleached everything..

I think everything here is exceptional, which should also be kept in mind.