Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acne-O

An oldie with newbie questions

Well. I think I'm on the more mild side of the spectrum:

Facts

- mid-20s male

- On a plane 2x / week (going from a city that's quite humid, to a city that's quite dry, with very oily/fatty foods with big portions)

- Never had more than 5-6 zits at a time growing up

- Currently, never has more than 1-2, but they're huge, often with big whiteheads, often lasting ~1 week

- Shower daily, shave once every 2-3 days, keep quite clean and well groomed. Don't wash face (and never have)

- Athletic - get into the gym for a really good sweat 4x / week +

- Hydrate effectively - not necessarily my 2 litres of water a day, but I'm always drinking water, and little/no caffeine.

My hypotheses

- Different diets? (They seem to get better over the weekend at home when I'm in more control of my diet and eating healthier)

- Different humidities? (I'm going from humid, to dry... But I grew up in a very dry climate?

-

Questions

1. Picking whiteheads and popping them? No? Yes? When? Ever? Never?

2. Should I start washing my face morning/evening? Product recommendation?

3. What's a really good topical treatment to make these bad boys shrink instantaneously [laughs - I know its impossible]

4. I imagine my situation is more spot reduction than overall treatment... Any other suggestions/success stories?

Grazie!

Try this to reduce the swelling. Crush an asprin and make a thick paste with water. Spot treat the big ones leaving the paste overnight. That sometimes helps with the swelling and the redness!

1: ur not supposed to pop or pick , but if u must pop, only do it enough to get rid of the white head part and once thats gone putting some on neosporin should help

2: yes wash once in the morning and once before u go to bed, i would recommend a bp {BENZOYL PEROXIDE} wash but if that irrates ur skin , try cetiphill gentle face wash

3: Any product with bp gel or cream should dry them right up

4Yes dont put bp everywhere on ur face just spot treat

5 : good luck

. Picking whiteheads and popping them? No? Yes? When? Ever? Never?

Do it cleanly and only if they are ready to go, otherwise you spread the inflammation....

Shout at them when you are doing it.

2. Should I start washing my face morning/evening? Product recommendation?

Yes. Only twice a day is neccessary, anymore and your face will start to produce more oil ---bad for acne sufferers---

Product. just water. Heres my wash habit:

3. What's a really good topical treatment to make these bad boys shrink instantaneously [laughs - I know its impossible]

thank god your not deluded enough to think anything you put on your face is going to get rid of a spot. Treat it from the inside with GLA.

I imagine my situation is more spot reduction than overall treatment... Any other suggestions/success stories?

Yes. GLA, lecithin and milk before food. Amazing find.

Do NOT pick. If you HAVE to pop it steralize a needle with a flame and make a small poke and gently squeeze it and wipe with a kleenex (after washing face and hands)

you might want to start just washing your face with a gentle cleanser at night

(purpose or cetaphil. warning: cetaphil is very "thick")

you probably already shower after your workouts but make sure to do that asap. wash your face then, too. actually, try and work your schedule so that your after workout shower/wash is your nighttime or morning one.

some people say not to pop, some say its okay. personally, i havent noticed any worse scarring from ones that ive messed with and ones i've left alone, so i say go for it. ive tried poking mine with a needle when i was impatient, but i find it just hurts and makes it worse. try that method at your own risk. you can judge pretty well when a pimple is ready to go. apply light pressure with either a q-tip, latex gloves, or even just toilet paper. if it doesnt give with decent pressure leave it alone. youll just make it red and angry and it will stay around longer.

i think you should get yourself a tube of dan's benzoyl peroxide, its cheap enough anyhow, and just try spot treating. if you find you like it and youre going to start using it all over, you should really think about a moisturizer though.

Okay team. Morning update.

Woke up, with a whitehead that was like 3-4mm in diameter, at the top of the skin. So I picked it (using a q-tip).

Pus came out (hope you're not eating breakfast), as did blood. Now I've got a crater 2-3mm wide on my face. Used a q-tip to apply pressure, and after a couple of times of wiping clear fluid away, the whitehead is gone.

While I don't have any with me, is now the best time to spot apply bp? I think this spot now is going to stick with me the rest of the week which sucks, but better than having your colleagues laugh at you with a big-ass whitehead..

Okay team. Morning update.

While I don't have any with me, is now the best time to spot apply bp? I think this spot now is going to stick with me the rest of the week which sucks, but better than having your colleagues laugh at you with a big-ass whitehead..

That sucks huh?! Well I am 25 years old and also wondering why those @#% just didn't die in my teenage years :wacko: . I don't have very bad acne but somemore like you describe it I think.

Uhm try to use the bp before the spot becomes a whitehead, you know whether it becomes one right?!

Then it will dry out over night and you don't have to pick because I think that's the worst thing you can do. (I know if you have to leave the house you feel better having it done) It will be so dry and won't become a huge whitehead and if so it's dry and easier to get rid off..

(my english is bad I know, I'm dutch ;) )

DONT POP or PICK. It damages your pores. It will cause a pimple to reoccur in the same spot over & over & over (and they keep getting LARGER). I am 23 & most of my large pimples re-occur in the exact same spots where I very viciously attacked those pimples as a teen.

Your body has a natural healing process & WILL heal the blemish eventually. The best thing is to touch it as little as possible. I like to apply a dab of a sulphur mask to the spot & leave it on over night. This can noticably reduce redness, size, swelling, and pain for me. Everyone has their own method it seems.

If you have to get rid of the "whitehead" cuz you just cant bear to leave the house that way, soak your face in very warm water for about a minute & very likely it will extract itself (just dunk it in a bowl/clean sink & come up for air!). That's the most gentle method I have come accros, cuz it doesnt cause much blood to come out & there's no pressure or touching involved. If it doesnt come out that way then it would be really bad to squeeze it anyway. If you choose to squueze, when the blood comes out, you have gone too far!

And then after extracting a pimple, put Neosporin on it.

When you feel a zit coming on, start with the BP morning & night to spot treat. If you always get zits in the same areas of your face then lightly apply BP there regularly even when clear (maybe only once a day or every other day since your acne is so mild). Besides that just use a gentle facewash & light moisturizer w/ SPF 15 everyday (make sure its non-comedogenic, meaning it does not cause acne; avoid anything with fragrance). Maybe adjust the moisturizer to the climate. More for dry weather, less for humid.

Another thing: Do you touch your face much? Stop if you do. Be aware of resting your face against a hand while on the phone or plane & that sort of thing.

That's my advice!

Oh and count yourself VERY lucky! I wish I only got one or two pimples that cleared in a week!