Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to the Dermatologist last week and discussed W/ her that I am still concerned w/ the residual scaring on my face. She responded to me by saying " Exactly what scarring are you refering to?". She had to look very closely with a magnifing glass and lamp to examine them. This is not the first time that a person as said that they don't see the scarring.

So my question is do you think that my complextion really is smooth to the average onlooker, but I have too much psycological trauma to see it because of many years of acne?

This is really starting to bother me because my current boyfriend is always telling me that I am beautiful and gorgeous and I don't feel that he is being genuine. This is not fair to him because he is trying to give me a compliment and my self esteem is so low that I tell him to quit telling me what he thinks I want to hear. I talk to friends and family about my facial insecurities and everyone acts like they don't know what I am talking about. Do you think that what I am seeing in the mirror is not what others are seeing or they are just trying be nice?

there was a programm on discovery channel some time ago about people who have the syndrom you are talking about. They dislike something in their face really much, spend a lot of time looking and thinking about that every day.

If you have that maybe you should consult your doctor, maybe he knows a treatment.

I think most of us with acne will never think our complexions look good, even when the acne is gone. I've been on this site for several months and even when our acne is cleared up we all seem to want more (no red marks, no scars etc.) Anyway, you are not alone with the low self esteem- I never think I look good enough for my standards- thank god my friends seem to have lower standards than I!

I guess at the very least I won't be overly concieted regarding my looks. Nobody appreciates that. I have tried to develop personal strengths over the years as well as maintaining a good apperance. It is confidence that I am trying to achieve. It just amazes me that when I get a compliment regarding my looks I realize how low my self-esteem is.

I have the same problem. I'm sorry if I'm going to offend anyone by telling 'my story', but I believe my problem is that I think I have absolutely horrible skin. When in truth, I have a very clear complexion, I convince myself that I have absolutely horrendous skin. The smallest breakout cripples me - I become very anti-social and self-conscious - especially in school. I'm slowly getting over it, but it's pretty lame. I don't have scarring of any sort (I mean, I don't even have 'clinical' acne!)

Not to say that I have perfect skin. Like anyone else, I get oily and have breakouts, hell yes. I feel horrible about it though :. People with this problem aren't vain, it's just a mental condition. An epidermic form of anorexia nervosa?

I think it's in your head. Think about it. A dermatologist makes a living by fixing people's problems with their skin. If even your derm didn't think it was a big deal (and had to look with a magnifying glass to see what you meant), then it's deffinitely no big deal.

I had the same issue with my boyfriend, and it took quite a while before I was convinced that he really thinks I'm the hottest thing on earth. You know that you're lucky to have a boyfriend who still has a huge crush on you. I'm sure you know how oblivious people are to a crush's physical imperfections, and if they do notice, they almost certainly think they're totally cute. So, that might help you accept that your boyfriend thinks you're a goddess. Best wishes.

Also, it's defenitley true that people make a larger deal about themselves than other people. I doubt anyone is picking out your flaws everytime they look at you! F.D.S. is in the head of those who have it - it shouldn't be taken as the serious truth.

Thanks for the supportive feedback. It is nice to know that other people understand what I feel and are experiencing the same issue. Just talking about it helps because people that never suffered from acne will never understand.

What you are talking about definately is a disorder. Facial Dysmorphic syndrome can be very painful. You should consider seeing a psychyatrist who could maybe help you overcome the insecurities you are feeling about your face. I can definately understand how you would develope it after having acne. Sometimes it's hard to give something like that up. Even now that my face is clear, everytime I get a pimple now I completely freak out and automatically assume that my acne is going to come back full force. Of course it never does (knock on wood) - but it's just so hard to accept my clear skin cause I'm not used to it. Anyway, I hope you do overcome what you are going through. Best wishes! biggrin.gif