Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LabGirl81

How does one fix this.....

My scarring from acne is pretty minimal. I do have a decent sized boxcar on my forehead from a cyst/nodule thing last summer that lasted for four months.....but that doesn't bother me so much....I get shallow rolling scars but those fill in for me over time (like a year or two), so I never really consdered asking my derm about scar treatments......and also why I hardly ever post here......

I had been having cortisone injections for my cystic acne. At it's worst I was getting 8-10 a week. Right before I went on Accutane I had this one that had been there forever....maybe a few months, but was different from the others....it was hard and flat and really deep......it wasn't really that visible to the eye, but it was painful, and sometimes appeared grey or purplish......I asked my derm to inject it.......and it didn't go anywhere fo another month......right before I started Accutane it started to skink in......

Three weeks later I have a huge hole in my face......It's not a scar really.....it's soft.....not like my other scar.....

I'm guessing this is atrophy in the collagen or subcutaneous fat......from the cortisone.....

I've had almost 100 cortisone shots and not one ever left a dent....except for this one.........

This thing is ghastly......it's about 1cm across....and really deep......no amount of makeup will cover it....

It's big enough that my boss pointed it out at work today........people have been asking about my new "dimple"....which no longer looks like an innocent little dimple.......

Will this fill in on it's own eventuallly? If so how long will it take and is there anything I can do to speed up the process? What do I ask my derm? Should I think about a filler, like collagen or hyaluronic acid?

Hey, I have only ever had a few real cysts on my face and one was from messing with a tiny pimple which imploded under the skin. I finally had a cortisone shot. I am now left with two small holes around my jaw line. Barely noticeable. Nothing has worked on them and occasionally they still collect a tiny amount of gunk. Back to the subject. I read this scar forum alot and the buzz about tazorac on new scars is good. This sounds like it may work causing the skin to peel or become slightly raw and reheal with a smooth appearance. You may want to try it. One poster recommends leaving it on a tiny area overnight with medical tape. It may cause a scab but basicly will promote cell turnover and may cause the hole to close since it sounds like it is newish in nature. Tca peel might be my second suggestion since I had something which appeared to be like a new scar forming from a blemish which would not go away for a very long time. I used a 15% layered tca peel on the area till it was slightly red and irritated (q-tip end) and it seemed to nearly vanish after rehealing a few times. I would certainly nip it before the mark or small hole gets very old since it then seems nearly impossible to deal with.

You may want to try the Cliniqe Pore minimizer, instant perfector for filling it in till you can reduce it or eliminate it. It is like a spackle which takes practice to work with but is a thick like consistancy which will fill in holes. It may roll out of shallow scars but I use it sometimes to minimize a boxcar then use a tiny like paint brush and paint my foundation over it to blend the color.

Hey, I have only ever had a few real cysts on my face and one was from messing with a tiny pimple which imploded under the skin. I finally had a cortisone shot. I am now left with two small holes around my jaw line. Barely noticeable. Nothing has worked on them and occasionally they still collect a tiny amount of gunk. Back to the subject. I read this scar forum alot and the buzz about tazorac on new scars is good. This sounds like it may work causing the skin to peel or become slightly raw and reheal with a smooth appearance. You may want to try it. One poster recommends leaving it on a tiny area overnight with medical tape. It may cause a scab but basicly will promote cell turnover and may cause the hole to close since it sounds like it is newish in nature. Tca peel might be my second suggestion since I had something which appeared to be like a new scar forming from a blemish which would not go away for a very long time. I used a 15% layered tca peel on the area till it was slightly red and irritated (q-tip end) and it seemed to nearly vanish after rehealing a few times. I would certainly nip it before the mark or small hole gets very old since it then seems nearly impossible to deal with.

You may want to try the Cliniqe Pore minimizer, instant perfector for filling it in till you can reduce it or eliminate it. It is like a spackle which takes practice to work with but is a thick like consistancy which will fill in holes. It may roll out of shallow scars but I use it sometimes to minimize a boxcar then use a tiny like paint brush and paint my foundation over it to blend the color.

This isn't like any of my other scars. It's soft, and doesnt have defined edges.....it's more of a dent than a scar really. I can't use any topical retinoids and definately no TCA peel solutions for the next six months to a year (until I'm done with 'tane).........

I don't wear makeup at all, so covering it up is put of the question, and even if I were to try to cover i....there i9s nothing that can fill that thing in......it's like a big chunk of fat is missing from my chin.........

My roomate has that pore minimizer.....it doesn't do anything to it.......it's about as big as the tip of my thumb........and deep.........

I've heard that these things can eventually fill themselves in, once the collagen grows back.....but it's the fat I'm worried about......

I don't think I should treat this as a regular scar........no amount of peels wil help this thing......the dent goes all the way down to the subcutaneous fat under the dermis.....

Hi, yea options would be limited while you are on accutane. I did have a good friend who said some "holes" actually repaired themselves completely while on the course. She complained of having a few holes and besides having rosecea ( I believe) didn't really look like normal acne, her skin was flawless looking to me. She said the holes closed up. I'm not kidding about the tca 15% spot peels since it has saved me from a few scars, I really believe. I am suprised people are mentioning it, you must work under florescents. After your course, you should have a few options if it is still there. Hopefully it will be gone by then.

I got some scar like you describe from cortisone injections as well. I think I may be missing some fat too, but the good thing is over time it will look better. You could try injecting it with saline, you can do a search on saline injections to read up on how to do it, there is alot of info on it in the forum. There is only one doctor in California that does it professionally that I know and that is Dr. Sire. I did the injections myself and it really wasn't too hard. I would think it would be safe while on accutane but you might want to check with the doctors.

Hi The same thing happened to me when a cyst was injected with cortisone. You may be experiencing fat atrophy on the spot where the cortisone was injected. They usually go away by themselves because it's not a scar. The time frame varies from person to person but give it at least 3 months to notice a difference. My indent was on the jawline and within 4 months everything went back to normal. Good luck LabGirl!

I have the same problem from blue peel where my doctor removed my peeling while my skin was healing and it left dents,2 rectangular dents,1 on each side.This problem is usually with over use of steriod creams.

I wanted to take some cortisone injections for underneath skin cysts but my doc said that there is a possibilty the dent will form.He says that it can be permanent if it doesnt fix up within 9 months- it is most likely gonna be permanent.Im really worried about this its been 4 months with no improvement and it looks much worse than any scarring i have or any pimples i ever had,it can be seen from far a huge dip.I cant even find a cure for this i just found this link epxplaining the atrophy -

http://missinglink.ucsf.edu/lm/Dermatology...ry/atrophy.html

seems like many people are having this problem with cortisone,even though mine is not from injection im pretty sure its the same thing .I cant even do fraxel now most since it will make my skin more thin,this is very frustrating.I have started taking collagen strengthening tablets i dont know if it will help.

My scarring from acne is pretty minimal. I do have a decent sized boxcar on my forehead from a cyst/nodule thing last summer that lasted for four months.....but that doesn't bother me so much....I get shallow rolling scars but those fill in for me over time (like a year or two), so I never really consdered asking my derm about scar treatments......and also why I hardly ever post here......

I had been having cortisone injections for my cystic acne. At it's worst I was getting 8-10 a week. Right before I went on Accutane I had this one that had been there forever....maybe a few months, but was different from the others....it was hard and flat and really deep......it wasn't really that visible to the eye, but it was painful, and sometimes appeared grey or purplish......I asked my derm to inject it.......and it didn't go anywhere fo another month......right before I started Accutane it started to skink in......

Three weeks later I have a huge hole in my face......It's not a scar really.....it's soft.....not like my other scar.....

I'm guessing this is atrophy in the collagen or subcutaneous fat......from the cortisone.....

I've had almost 100 cortisone shots and not one ever left a dent....except for this one.........

This thing is ghastly......it's about 1cm across....and really deep......no amount of makeup will cover it....

It's big enough that my boss pointed it out at work today........people have been asking about my new "dimple"....which no longer looks like an innocent little dimple.......

Will this fill in on it's own eventuallly? If so how long will it take and is there anything I can do to speed up the process? What do I ask my derm? Should I think about a filler, like collagen or hyaluronic acid?

something similar happened to me with bp. I put tooo much on my cheek bone and the whole area kind of sunk in, or maybe the bp just burned the area, making it appear darker and hence sunkeninsh. After a year, it did level up, but that was a whole year.