Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JR86

Is it ok to take accutane

I really don't feel like eating dinner tonight. would it be ok to take accutane without a meal? what if I ate like a cookie or something. I could really go for a cookie.

You need to take your dosage with a good source of fat or you lose more than half of your absorption.

You need to take it with something that buffers it in the stomach like food or milk - it's acidic and it can upset your stomach or burn your esophagus. Take your dose with a meal that you eat regularly that contains some fat for best results.

I agree. You need to take your pills with either food or milk. Something that has a lot of fat in it so your body can absorb the medicine. If not, you might as well not even take your medicine and wait the next day to take it. You're just wasting your pills if you take them without eating. The directions on your Accutane box gives you explicit directions on how to take your pills. It reads pills to be taken with a meal or with milk.

well a cookie has fat. I was talking about a big sugar cookie. I ended up taking my pill with a meal anyway.

hmmm...

how important is the fat in the meal?

i take my pills after oat porridge breakfast, which i'm pretty sure is super low in fat.

and how much 'fat' are we talking about?

hmmm...

i take my pills after oat porridge breakfast, which i'm pretty sure is super low in fat.

and how much 'fat' are we talking about?

sounds yummy. actually i dunno i never had it? what is it?

Well, I think just taking the pill with a meal in general, helps with absorbtion. You just want to make sure that you're taking your pills with a meal so your body can start digesting everything and break it down. If you take your pills with just a cookie, or nothing at all, there's nothing really to digest. Just make sure you take it with a full meal equaling a good consumption of food. :) It can be healthy foods. It should be healthy foods anyway. :)

like the others said, take some kind of fat/oil with it (big glass of milk?) or it won't absorb properly.

I actually did an experiment early on with accutane and noticed a HUGE difference when I had my pill with a high fat meal instead of a small one or one with no fat.

Very important. Isotretinoin is a lipophilic molecule - it bonds to fat. When you take your dose with a good source of fat, you more than double your absorption.

How much fat? Well, it's hard to say. Roche's data that talks about this phenomenon refers to a "standardized high fat meal" but i have never seen anything that explains exactly how much fat that means. But it doesn't sound to me like a cookie would qualify.

And for the record since a lot of people think fat is bad - your body needs fat, particularly your nerves. Go with good fats while on Accutane to avoid increasing your blood lipids - good bets are olive oil, avocado, and oily fish like salmon. Mono and poly unsaturated fats.

I asked my derm if it made a difference taking it with meals or not, and she said that nothing changes. Now, we know that vit A is fat soluble and it's better if you eat something, but it shouldn't change anything... I correct myself, it won't change anything, also because it's just for once!

I did a bit of a hunt through journal articles that referenced a "standardized high fat meal" in the hope of discovering just how much food/fat is the optimal amount to get this "doubling" effect people (including Roche) talk about. Unfortunately, the only unit given for the accutane studies are in terms of grams of fat per square metre of body surface area (60g/m2 incidentally) -- with no indication as to how this does (not) relate to real world foods.

Other case/control studies that test the efficacy of drugs in fasted v with food states also refer to a "standardized high fat meal", but the crucial point is that the definition varies between studies. In other words, the only "standardization" involved is the standardization in the food consumed by the participants within each study. Some "weighted" the fat intake of subjects by body mass (i.e. giving them a quantity of, for example, cream in proportion to their body weight); one study literally used a burger and milkshake as its high fat meal. In other words, to know the "answer", we need to translate 60g/m2 of fat into "real world" food.

I asked my derm if it made a difference taking it with meals or not, and she said that nothing changes. Now, we know that vit A is fat soluble and it's better if you eat something, but it shouldn't change anything... I correct myself, it won't change anything, also because it's just for once!

Absorption is more than doubled when taken with fatty meals. You can see the results of lab tests for yourself on Roche's website, there is a pdf for Accutane.

I asked my derm if it made a difference taking it with meals or not, and she said that nothing changes.

See this just proves derms. dont know shit. I asked my derm about the meal rule and he said eating Oreo cookies, for example, with the capsule will suffice. Nah, I'll follow the drug insert and take it with a meal...something with more substance than a cookie.

I asked my derm if it made a difference taking it with meals or not, and she said that nothing changes.

See this just proves derms. dont know shit. I asked my derm about the meal rule and he said eating Oreo cookies, for example, with the capsule will suffice. Nah, I'll follow the drug insert and take it with a meal...something with more substance than a cookie.

One thing you can do is to take a few (I take 4) fish oil caps with your dose. The kind of fish oil with DHA and EPA fatty acids which are good for cholesterol. You get the fat to help absorb the medication, but it's a good fat for the possible cholesterol side effect (although you have to take a LOT of DHA and EPA to have an effect on cholesterol).

Another less health alternative is a good slice of cheese, or something else handy and fatty. But as someone else pointed out, vegetable based fat is better for blood lipids than animal based. You probably don't need a huge amount of fat, just enough to carry the med into the blood stream in the digestive process. I'm thinking a tablespoon (not a teaspoon!) of vegetable oil (corn, canola, peanut, olive, etc.) would suffice too.

I do firmly believe based on study and personal experience, that isotretinoin works better with fat.

Think about it this way. You're pill will be 3x more effective with a high fat meal than with no meal at all. How bad do you want to ditch your acne?

Absorption is more than doubled when taken with fatty meals. You can see the results of lab tests for yourself on Roche's website, there is a pdf for Accutane.

What about then, swallowing it with a tablespoon of olive oil instead of water??