Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum007

Platinum, 41yo athlete mom with cystic acne since puberty.

I haven't seen anyone my age taking Accutane so I thought I would start a log.

I have had cystic acne since age 14. I went on BCP's and that cleared it up pretty well for years. I still got scalp acne, though. I went off the pill in '97 to get pregnant. After the birth of my son my skin was clear for 2 or 3 years. Then, about 3 years ago I started getting cysts again.

Things I've tried:

Nicomide

Tazorac

Retin A

Benzol Peroxide in various doses

Mary Kay's 5 step program

Doxycycline (worked the best when taken 2x per day but major sun sensitivity)

Various sulfur washes

All of these were minimally helpful, except for the Doxy. That worked great if I took it 100mg 2x per day. But I felt that 2 years of antibiotics was enough. My derm has been bugging me to go on Accutane for 3 years now. I finally conceded last month.

I had a visit today but all they did was hand me my Rx. Now I have to wait for them to fill out the iPledge thing tonight. I guess I could start taking it tomorrow.

I started the CSR a few weeks ago and my skin is clearing up, but it could also be from the BCP's that the iPledge thing makes me take (which is funny because after the birth of my son I could not get pregnant with a second child due to a luteal phase defect so I would be surprized if I would suddenly get pg.). I will probably have to stop using the CSR, though, once my skin starts to dry out from the Accutane.

I'll post pictures if I can figure out how...lol.

Wish me luck.

Platinum (don't know my doses yet.)

I'm 41 in 3 weeks, just started another 20mg a day course, my first course was 7 years ago and I've been on a very low dose for 6 of those years, my skin is really dry on the surface so 20mg to me is very drying.

Good luck.

I'm 41 in 3 weeks, just started another 20mg a day course, my first course was 7 years ago and I've been on a very low dose for 6 of those years, my skin is really dry on the surface so 20mg to me is very drying.

Good luck.

Hi.

So you've been on a daily dose for 6 years?

I think I am starting out at 40mg. But I don't know if it's once a day or 2x a day. I'll know later today.

Continued good luck.

Platinum

Hi Platinum, good luck. You are very pretty & I'm sure accutane will clear you up in no time. I started on 40 mg. It's a normal place to start off for the first month or two. I just had my 2nd month appt today, and he is upping me to 80 mg 5 days a week, then 40 mg the other 2 days. So that's about 68-69 mg on average daily. I'll be doing that for 5 months. Good luck!!!

You're sweet. Thank you. :blush:

I just picked up my rx and it's 40mg once per day. I thought it was odd since everyone seems to be on a 2x per day dose. I wonder if she did that just so it's easier to take.

One thing that shocked me was the sticker saying not to drink alcohol while taking Accutane. I didn't see anything like that in the Accutane liturature. I just don't see myself going 6 months without alcohol. I usually have a glass or wine or beer with dinner every night. :cry: Oh, well. I guess I'll see what the liver test looks like next month and then decide.

Continued good luck in your treatment.

Platinum

Day 1

I just took my first 40mg. pill (it's called Sortet, or something like that). I started taking fish oil capsules and vitamin E. I haven't prepared with anything else, though. Not much of a Boy Scout with the "be prepared" motto. I usually go with the flow. I'll deal with any side effects as they come.

You know, these last 3 or 4 years I have spent popping pills and smearing expensive crap on my face with no real results. I'm a little mad at myself for not starting Accutane sooner. When the derm saw me for my first few cyst injections years ago she mentioned accutane. That was about 50 scars ago! :cry: I guess I will get laser treatments or something after this is all over. I have always scarred easily. Mostly it's the dark purple scars. They cover up pretty well with MAC Sudio FX powder foundation. But there was a time where I could go makeup free, just a little eyeliner and mascara and that's it. I sometimes feel sorry for guys who can't cover the scars up with makeup.

Good luck to you all and thanks for reading my log. I will get my hubby to take some pictures of me in the next few days.

Platinum

Hey hello!

I am gonna read your log too, to see how you are doing! IPB Image Hope it will work for us both!! IPB Image

I just started too, today is my second day.

That little picture of you is very nice! Can't see the acne in the picture though, you look good!

Cya

hello :wavey: Platinum007.Welcome to the boards.I just started accutane 10 days ago.So far so good.Im taking 20mg once a day for now.My derm will probaly higer my dose in two weeks or so.Im 30 and having been dealing with acne since i was about 13.I tried everything with no results.Finally I decided to break out the big guns and get tane.good luck with your treatment.I'll check back with you soon. take care.

That little picture of you is very nice! Can't see the acne in the picture though, you look good!

Cya

Thank you. You are so nice to say that. :blush:

I'm telling you, that MAC makeup is something else. But I also bought the really good brushes from them. I used my old Mary Kay brushes and one day splurged on the MAC brushes (to the tune of $75 for two!) and my makeup look way better. :dance: Great investment.

Continued good luck to you.

Platinum

hello :wavey: Platinum007.Welcome to the boards.I just started accutane 10 days ago.So far so good.Im taking 20mg once a day for now.My derm will probaly higer my dose in two weeks or so.Im 30 and having been dealing with acne since i was about 13.I tried everything with no results.Finally I decided to break out the big guns and get tane.good luck with your treatment.I'll check back with you soon. take care.

Hi to you! I'm on 40mg per day and the doctor saw me today and decided next month already to up my dose. I had gone in for a cyst injection and she said I would probably need a stronger dose. She'll look at my bloodwork next month and go from there.

Hopefully the low dose will work for you. If not, at least you can always take more..... :D

Continued good luck to you.

Platinum

good luck with your journey

Thank you, Mac. i see you have had a rather loooooong journey yourself! :shock:

Good luck in ending your course. if you aren't happy with the results, will you do a second round?

Platinum

Welcome to the old geezer Accutane club. Girl I know your pain.

Haha. Actually, my derm told me that Accutane works better on adult acne. Maybe we'll be the lucky oldies.

Platinum

Went to the derm today for a cyst injection. When she saw the size of it (moderately small for me) she said most likely she would put me on a higher dose next month. My 40mg probably wouldn't take care of the large cysts I have.

Also, I asked her if alcohol was ok since there is nothing in the liturature saying I shouldn't drink but the Rx has a sticker saying, "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION". She said they put that on the box for the college kids who get drunk every weekend. She didn't think my one drink a night would be a problem. We would just check my liver test every month and decide.

Also, she said I could continue the CSR for as long as I want.

Platinum

ps, if you've never tried a steriod shot for a cyst, you really should. Stops it from growing and, most of the time, shrinks it by the next day.

Congrats on starting tane and welcome to the board.

Thanks.

I haven't had time to read your log yet, but I do have a question. Does Accutane make you peepee a lot? I noticed that the warnings say that I should call my doctor if I have increased urination. I peed 5x more than I usually do yesterday and actually lost a pound. I wonder if this caused the headache I had during the night.

I wonder if it's just excitement over starting the drugs....lol :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Platinum

I found that I started drinking lots more water after I started taking the tane. So yup, I was peepeeing a lot more. I lost a couple pounds when I first started. Found at first I wasn't as hungry as usual. That changed for me about mid course then has evened out now that I'm at the end. The headaches are common in the beginning. They should go away soon. For me a couple of advil knocked them out. You'll find that if your derm ups your dose you'll get them again for a couple days and they'll go away. Hope this helps. Jules!

Congrats on starting tane and welcome to the board.

Thanks.

I haven't had time to read your log yet, but I do have a question. Does Accutane make you peepee a lot? I noticed that the warnings say that I should call my doctor if I have increased urination. I peed 5x more than I usually do yesterday and actually lost a pound. I wonder if this caused the headache I had during the night.

I wonder if it's just excitement over starting the drugs....lol :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Platinum

Yes it does. I peed a lot the first few weeks and I was really thirsty. but now it's pretty much back to normal.

I found that I started drinking lots more water after I started taking the tane. So yup, I was peepeeing a lot more. I lost a couple pounds when I first started. Found at first I wasn't as hungry as usual. That changed for me about mid course then has evened out now that I'm at the end. The headaches are common in the beginning. They should go away soon. For me a couple of advil knocked them out. You'll find that if your derm ups your dose you'll get them again for a couple days and they'll go away. Hope this helps. Jules!

Peeing settled down today. And just a faint headache. I was a bit nervous since the directions said to call the doctor if these things happen.

And thanks for warning me about upping the dose and headache.

Platinum

Yes it does. I peed a lot the first few weeks and I was really thirsty. but now it's pretty much back to normal.

Thanks. It's nice to know it's normal. Although my derm was a bit worried. I'll explain in my update.

Platinum

Day 2

I called the pharmacy this AM because I peed soooo much yesterday that I actually lost a pound. I was also headachey and a little nauseated. I kept thinking the worst. The pharmacist didn't seem too concerned. He said try another pill and see what happens. :think: I wonder where he got his license....

I called the derm this morning and at first she was concerned that maybe they gave me the wrong medicine at the pharmacy. So she had me describe the packaging. Then she said, "Oh, it was probably the steriod injection I gave you yesterday."

Whew. I felt so much better. I have had dozens of injections and never noticed peeing as a side effect. But, I wasn't looking for it, either. Since starting Accutane I think EVERYthing is a side effect, even if it's normal for me....lol.

So, I had my second pill this AM before anyone could really answer my question. I figured I wasn't going to die and I might as well get on with my day.

The whole peeing thing must have been the steroids plus being extra excited about finally starting accutane :surprised: .

The derm told me it would take 3 weeks to see results. So maybe I'll just do a weekly update.

Clear skin to you all,

Platinum

ps, I've decided I am way too vain to post pictures. ;)

I also peed quite a bit more when starting. Of course this was only two weeks ago. I also had dull headaches for about the first 5-7 days. I hear you about the side effects scare. I am paranoid. I realize I need to take it as it comes however because I have a long way to go. I also started at 40 once a day. I will be getting an increase in two weeks, probably to 80. I am soooo glad that your derm said accutane works better on adult acne. I am 27 and I think that makes me an adult. ;) I had cystic acne around the time of my period every month and here and there throughout. I get blackheads and whiteheads as well, but the cysts are the major problem. I am pretty fair and they always left red marks and scars that took forever to fade. I have taken a couple of drinks in the past couple weeks, but I see that many people on the boards drink quite a bit more and don't seem to have problems. I think the main thing is to stay hydrated and alcohol dehydrates. Well good luck on your journey.

Jamie

I also peed quite a bit more when starting. Of course this was only two weeks ago. I also had dull headaches for about the first 5-7 days. I hear you about the side effects scare. I am paranoid. I realize I need to take it as it comes however because I have a long way to go. I also started at 40 once a day. I will be getting an increase in two weeks, probably to 80. I am soooo glad that your derm said accutane works better on adult acne. I am 27 and I think that makes me an adult. ;) I had cystic acne around the time of my period every month and here and there throughout. I get blackheads and whiteheads as well, but the cysts are the major problem. I am pretty fair and they always left red marks and scars that took forever to fade. I have taken a couple of drinks in the past couple weeks, but I see that many people on the boards drink quite a bit more and don't seem to have problems. I think the main thing is to stay hydrated and alcohol dehydrates. Well good luck on your journey.

Jamie

Thanks, Jamie. I've had no wierd side effects today to speak of, although after my run my right shin splint was acting up. Probably not related to accutane quite yet...lol. Just being paranoid.

I'm just sticking to a lite beer or half of a glass of wine per night. I usually have some kind of alcohol every day as a healthy habit. I think it's what keeps my cholesterol and BP down (plus it keeps me from beating my child and cursing my dh.... :lol: ). Probably a different story with accutane, though. I'm prepared to part ways with alcohol for a while if need be :cry: . I'd rather save my liver so I CAN drink for the rest of my life....lol.

Did you start a journal?

Platinum

Hope it goes well! I'll check on your log, see how your going :)

Thanks. I read your log. I hope your skin settles down, soon. You sounded a bit blue. :(

Platinum

Day 3

Nothing new to report but this funny thing. I had a total temper tantrum when I was cleaning the bathroom today. Stuff kept falling and knocking off the sink and I was getting pissed. I almost threw the bathroom scale because I stubbed my toe on it. I kept thinking, "aggressive behavior". Oh no, I'm having 'tane rage :lol: .

Just thought it was funny because ever since I signed on to take accutane I've had to be on BCP's. Well, the BCP's cut out my PMS so I had nothing to blame my ill temper on anymore :evil:....until now :razz: .

Have a puss-free day everyone,

Platinum

Hey!

I have had a little bit of a headache too. It's stupid because you don't know whether it's the tane or just your inner body that causes stuff like that. Everytime I feel someting weird I start reading the side effects and make myself crazy :wacko: I think it will fade, it's just the beginning.

I take my pill during diner in the evening. I drink a lot of water with it.

Does the vitamine E and fishoil help?

Hey!

I have had a little bit of a headache too. It's stupid because you don't know whether it's the tane or just your inner body that causes stuff like that. Everytime I feel someting weird I start reading the side effects and make myself crazy :wacko: I think it will fade, it's just the beginning.

I take my pill during diner in the evening. I drink a lot of water with it.

Does the vitamine E and fishoil help?

Yup, I think the novelty will wear off quickly and we will forget we're even taking it.

My mom says fish oil can raise your good cholesterol. And another poster said it helps with muscle and joint aches. The vitamin E might help with dry lips. We'll see.

Good luck,

Platinum