Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strawberry blonde

Here goes! Strawberry Blonde's accutane log!

Hello to you all!

September 25th, 2006-Today is my 3rd day on Accutane. Well, it is actually Claravis and my dose is 40 mg.

I decided to go ahead and put up a log; 'cause I've been reading all of yours for a while. It has been torture trying to decide to go on this stuff. Then the wait for the prego tests and blood work. I also take Yasmin BC pills as my doc/derm wouldn't let me unless I did.

Little history: I am 31 almost 32. I didn't have adult acne until about 25. But the last 1 1/2 years I have had these deep painful cysts. Not all the time. My face is actually fairly clear. It is just the chin, neck, and once in a while the middle of my forehead between and slightly above my eyebrows. This is where I get the cysts. But when I get them--they are doosies! Like ruin my life for a month or two type stuff. Anyhow, it was starting to effect my self esteem. I dond't want to go to my kids football games and soccer games. I didn't want to go out of the house. My dear hubby is sweet and it never bothers him. But it does me. I have people tell me that my skin isn't bad enough to go on Accutane. But when I started noticing these scars on my neck--I was ready to try it.

Oh, yeah. I have also been on anti-biotics for years, tried almost every OTC and perscription thing. I was on the CSR for a month waiting for my perscription. It helped out a lot. But the derm says that for those deep down stuff...it really won't touch it. So here we are!

I watched the ipledge dvd--scared the crap out of me. Got the huge binder. Then the derm told me I'd have to wait a month until I had my next prego test. UGH! It was the longest month of my life.

Anyhow, I went to the derm last Fri. and started the pills on Sat. my insurance coevers it. Just a $10 co-pay. Heck! My BC pills cost more than that per month!

The doctor gave me 6 packs of 10 at 40 mg. He wants me to take only one a day until we see how my body reacts. He gave me so much just in case there are times when my perscription can't be filled right away. He doesn't want me to miss a pill. He thinks the treatment is better if you don't. Anyhow, I thought that was nice.I did have to deal with ipledge, but it was just a few ?'s on the web. No big deal. I haven't had it bad at the pharmacy either. I guess it is because the derm's nurse is on top of things.

**Anyhow, no sided effects so far. Maybe a bit tired yesterday. But I have had some sinus pressure due to the change in weather. So I slept it off after taking tylenol sinus. I hope that all these drugs I am taking don't kill me. My skin still looks and feels the same. But it is only day 3!

Oh, I am also on a anti-biotic just for the first few weeks to help with the side effects. Supposed to help with the IB too. Not looking forward to that.

I enjoy reading all the logs. It helps me know what to expect. What is the best stuff as far as moisturizer? How about lips? Has it effected any one's hair. I am a bit worried about this. My hair is one thing that helps me hide from the acne. It is curly and to the middle of my back--I don't want it falling out or anything!

Oh, when is the best time to take the pills. My derm really did not say anything about this. I don't use any suppliments either--is this bad? The derm did say no multi-vitamin; it is a bit wierd not to take on. Oh Well!

Hi.

Good luck. I start tomorrow. I'm 40 and have never had acne this bad. The scars are horrible. Luckily they do fade. Just very slowly. The indented one's never go away, though. I wonder if they can fill those will collegen or something.

Platinum

Hey there! Just wanted to stop by and wish you good luck. I'm just finishing up my course and, even though some of the side effects can be annoying, it's definitely worth it!

When should you take your pill? Accutane is fat solable so it works best if you take it with a meal or at least a glass of milk. That's also why some people take an omega 3 supplement (and it helps with joint pain).

Wishing you clear, clear skin! :)

Tanya

Just out of curiousity, what antiobiotic are you on? I think your derm told you not to take a multi-vitamin b/c most of them have Vitamin A, which you need to be avoiding as much as possible while on Accutane. Most people on here take vitamins such as B,C,E, and omega. For lips I am using aquafor and burt's bees. Aquafor is actually in the lotion section, not the chapsticks. It's made by Eucerin. It comes in big bottles but you can find trial sizes on ebay which are great for carrying out. Both of these have worked really well for my lips so far. I haven't noticed any difference in my hair, it's just a lot drier, but not falling out. But then again my hair is really thick so I don't think I really need to worry. I've only been washing it twice a week. I may be able to get down to once a week soon. Sounds gross but it doesn't get smelly or anything. It feels kind of like straw :lol: But I love it. Well good luck!

Hey there! Just wanted to stop by and wish you good luck. I'm just finishing up my course and, even though some of the side effects can be annoying, it's definitely worth it!

When should you take your pill? Accutane is fat solable so it works best if you take it with a meal or at least a glass of milk. That's also why some people take an omega 3 supplement (and it helps with joint pain).

Wishing you clear, clear skin! :)

Tanya

Hey there woman! Thanks a ton. It is nice to hear from some one who has been there, and is around my age. How is your course doing? I see that you are almost done. How often did your doc up the meds? Was there an adjustment or another breakout when you went to a higher dose. And what side effects have you had?

I read some of your log. Good luck. It was a hard decision for me too. I am actually done having kids (I started at 21 and was done by 29). Pregnancy does not help your skin. I actually didn't have acne until around age 25. But that load of crap about it helping to be pregnant--well, I guess it might help some. But everyone's skin is different.

Acne is no fun. I think it is worse as an adult (I mean emotionally). Are you seeing clear? How is your skin? I am glad that you went ahead and did it. I hope it helps you. I hope it helps us all!

Anyhow, thanks for the support. You are a sweet person.

Just out of curiousity, what antiobiotic are you on? I think your derm told you not to take a multi-vitamin b/c most of them have Vitamin A, which you need to be avoiding as much as possible while on Accutane. Most people on here take vitamins such as B,C,E, and omega. For lips I am using aquafor and burt's bees. Aquafor is actually in the lotion section, not the chapsticks. It's made by Eucerin. It comes in big bottles but you can find trial sizes on ebay which are great for carrying out. Both of these have worked really well for my lips so far. I haven't noticed any difference in my hair, it's just a lot drier, but not falling out. But then again my hair is really thick so I don't think I really need to worry. I've only been washing it twice a week. I may be able to get down to once a week soon. Sounds gross but it doesn't get smelly or anything. It feels kind of like straw :lol: But I love it. Well good luck!

The derm has me on amoxicillin 250mg. I don't know that it is helping so far. :wall: Thanks for all the info. It is always good to know what will help ease the PAIN! How far are you into your course? How is it going? Well, smooth sailing to you--and smooth skin to us all!

Best of luck to you! hope all goes well

Thanks! :dance:

good luck on your road to clear skin. we will be with you all the way :)

Thanks Time4HighSelfEsteem! I've read your log and can totally identify. How is your course going? My derm told me not to expect anything until about month 3. How is that for encouragement! :wall: But I know that he was just trying to be a realist. I hope it is much sooner than that.

My little sis went on it when she was just a teen. She had to have 2 rounds and it is still not totally cleared. But she got married, got her degree and had a baby. She wants to wait until she'd done having kids. She loved ACCUTANE. It did go a way for quite a while for her. And now, the acne that she has around her cycle time is not deep and cystic. I also have a sister in law that took it when she was younger--she was cured! IT has been over 9 years for her and her skin is still beautiful. She is never totally zit free. But just one every once in a blue moon!

Sign me up! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Hey there woman! Thanks a ton. It is nice to hear from some one who has been there, and is around my age. How is your course doing? I see that you are almost done. How often did your doc up the meds? Was there an adjustment or another breakout when you went to a higher dose. And what side effects have you had?

Hi there! Yup, almost done...I think I have 8 more days. Overall, my course went really well (better than I expected). Although in the beginning, I started to think that I would never stop get newbies so it was definitely frustrating at times. The side effects have been annoying but worth it. Probably the side effect that bothered my the most was (is) sore, red eyes. For the last month, I rarely have worn my contacts but even with glasses, my eyes get pretty sore. I've also had really sore joints, fatique, and some nose bleeds. I'm hoping that after I'm off 'tane for a few weeks, I'll start feeling like myself again :pray: My dose was 60mg for the first month and a half and then 80 for the rest. It was a pretty high dose considering my weight but that's why I get to be done after only 4 months (my derm likes to take the aggressive approach with 'tane). I was really worried that I'd have another IB when the dose was upped but I never did. So, all in all, it hasn't been an easy 4 months but I definitely don't regret going on 'tane!

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Tanya