Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucy_87

do u EVER grow out of it?

just wondering if anyone who has gone through the usual teenage acne and has continued (im nearly 20) has eventually grown out of it at some point? or is it like if u still have it by 20 then u rpretty much stuck with it?

I think that's just a big myth......some people are lucky to grow out of it

I think genetics and hormones play a huge role in how long your acne will last really

I didn't really develop acne until i was 19. so I don't think if I didn't get it treated it would just go away on it's own.

I've concluded that if your skin is really really oily and has been since early teens that your skin wont clear up as you age. Im prime example my problem is oil thus why I have chronic acne problem. I will never grow outta this stuff. Accutane is supposed to shrink the sebaceous glands hindering oil production so im hoping eventually I can halt this adult acne. So far no change fingers crossed.

I agree about the oily skin part. Mine was oily in my teen yrs, not like a oil slick but oily none the less, and I still suffer with it now. So, no I don't think you outgrow acne and I will be 47 next month.

People can have hormonal problems at any age so outgrowing it is a myth. I remember when I was telling a friend about my supplement experiment he just said ' why don't you stop spending so much money on supplements and just accept it and wait to grow out of it'. I wanted to punch his face in at that point. His acne was nearly as bad as mine and I suppose he was just dealing with it by succumbing to it. I could never do that.

Anyway, my brother is 4 year older than me (26) and he still had acne at that age...

nope.

not only does it not go away, sometimes it gets worse! Mine got worse when I was 20.....

although.... I think for men it's different, they can go to like 20-25 and then it just dissapears! lucky them.

I have the same skin as my mom when she was a teen.. and she grew out of it by 22.. :think:

*sigh* to have those genes, would be nice!

no wait, I'd rather have the genes to not get acne at all.....

just wondering if anyone who has gone through the usual teenage acne and has continued (im nearly 20) has eventually grown out of it at some point? or is it like if u still have it by 20 then u rpretty much stuck with it?

when i hit 20 i grew out of it

I'm nearly 28, and I still get them from time to time. Not puny, hardly noticable little ones either, I'm talking about multiple large cyst/nodules.

But even thats nothing compared to having an Exxon Valdez disaster every morning to be honest.

I read somewhere that a lot of females grow out of it by their mid 30's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that, but since I'm only 26, I have ten more years of suffering :(

I think if we'd just stop irritating our faces with soaps, scrubs, gels , ,lotions etc. Maybe we'd give our skin a chance to grow out of it.

I am 35 and my acne is WAY worse than it was in my teens and twenties. Dan says he still gets acne too if he stops his regimen.

NO ONE in my family had acne like me, so it's not genetic. It could be hormonal but I doubt it.

The only difference between my many many acne free, clear skinned family members and me is that I slathered BP gel all over my face twice daily for 10 yrs starting in my twenties.

I think if we'd just stop irritating our faces with soaps, scrubs, gels , ,lotions etc. Maybe we'd give our skin a chance to grow out of it.

I am 35 and my acne is WAY worse than it was in my teens and twenties. Dan says he still gets acne too if he stops his regimen.

NO ONE in my family had acne like me, so it's not genetic. It could be hormonal but I doubt it.

The only difference between my many many acne free, clear skinned family members and me is that I slathered BP gel all over my face twice daily for 10 yrs starting in my twenties.

alright, do you have the guts to quit everything ?

Actually I couldnt believe it myself, but I think I've grown out of it.

I have constant zits DAILY ever since I was 13 until 18. But for months now, my skin has never been better and only few zits now and then.

Of course I hope my redmarks are like that.. now my face is just full of the damn red scars.

Listen I tried everything under the sun up to this point & they didnt work so I quit using anythig cuz it was a waste of money. I then just used just a gentel facial wash and it didnt make one bit a difference. So if I used anything (soaps, scrubs, gels,lotions) or nothing at all it made no difference and I didnt and wont grow outta it. Its the damn oil that is pumped out and thats the fact why I have the acne at age 31. I know this to be the only reason and Im not gonna reach for outlandish theories as to why I have acne. Many people have the same problem with seborrhea and growing old and avoiding all those washes and topicals wont change a darn thing. Yes, aggravating your acne by srubbing and picking can intensify the situation but it wont be the factor whether we grow out of it or not.

all i use is Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash once a day when i shower.. and if i see something forming i either put a little Differin gel or Clean & Clear invisible blemish treatment on it and the what-ever-is-forming is gone after a night (or sometimes after a few hours..)

I read somewhere that a lot of females grow out of it by their mid 30's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that, but since I'm only 26, I have ten more years of suffering :(

I'm 35 and still waiting... :cry: I find I have less problems with my skin if I take Estroven. I suspected hormone imbalance, and after I took that stuff, I have less zits. Other than that, I have to dang near sand blast my face every night to get all the oil off; my face has always been super oily. I smear on a layer of Erythromiacin, (anti-bacterial ointment), then bp, and a nighttime moisturizer. This is what I have to do here lately to keep my skin clear. Pain in the butt, I tell you.

Avoiding soda, and drinking a lot of water helps immensely too. I dont' care what they say... you put toxins in your body.. and they will come out through your pores. That goes for junk food, etc. Eat healthy, and it will help. Granted, that seems to work for me, but hey.. it's worth a try, when you've tried everything else.

What does Dan have to say about this?

I stopped doing EVERYTHING all summer except cleanse twice/day and my skin got so bad. I haven't grown out of it.

My dad had acne until his mid twenties.

I have had acne since I was 11. Nothing is like being in 5th grade and having people point out your pimples and that you're already trying to cover them with makeup.

I got my dad's oily skin genes. Heck, oily everything really. My hair is so oily that my hair dresser commented that I use enough conditioner after I told her that they made my scalp break out. I never use conditioner and have to use super deep cleansing shampoo that is only intended for once a week use daily, with two lathers. I got used to it, and after 10 years finally saw the doctor. I've never been quite this clear before, but I know if I slack off it'll come right back. Here's looking to 30... 8 more years.

although.... I think for men it's different, they can go to like 20-25 and then it just disappears! lucky them.

I still waiting for the luck. I'm a 31 y/o male. I've had acne since I was 12 and it has never gone away. My dermatologist told me when I was in my early 20's that it would probably go away after I turned 25. When that came and went, she said most people outgrow it when they hit 30. Yeah right!

Im 28 and still get em. Not as bad though. One thing i can say is that i dont worry as much any more. AS you all probably do i used to have the daily routine before i go to bed and before i left the house to get my face ready. lol one thing I can say is i dont do that anymore. Pheww thanks GOd

Pop That Zit

In general, males seem to grow out of it sooner than females. My brothers both had moderate acne and outgrew it around 20 or 21. I'm almost 21 (female) and so far I haven't grown out of it at all.

Personally I think that you might be more likely to grow out of it sooner if you don't take antibiotics, birth control pills, etc for it... because those things can really screw your system up. They might temporarily clear your skin, but then make things worse in the long run.