Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cleardream

People who AREN'T breaking out from their Mineral Makeup...

I seem to break out no matter what I do, even from mineral makeup (I'm in the midst of trying Physicians Formula & Everyday Minerals, after a failed attempt at Bare Minerals). So I'm just trying to explore possible reasons for my breakouts... maybe I'm "buffing" too hard or incorrectly?

When I apply, i buff/do circular motions, not SUPER aggressively, but sort of medium-hard, into the skin, based on the instructions on my old Bare Minerals DVD... (and with a smaller, concealer brush, i lightly brush the powder onto actual blemishes.)

For people whose mineral makeup doesn't break you out, how do you use your kabuki?

I've been using bare minerals for a couple weeks now and it has not made my skin any worse, I think I apply it the same way you do, not really rough or light, kinda medium. I also started using Physicians Formula mineral makeup about a year ago and I actually like it more then the bare minerals I think it looks and feels nicer! I decided to try BM though cause they actually say on the commercial "so pure you can sleep in it"! I think it's good to try different things cause you never know if you'll find a better product but sometimes it's best to stick with the tried and true. Do you have problems with liquid foundations? Maybe if buffing the makeup on is irritating your skin you can try the Physicians Formula liquid mineral foundation, I used that and it looked good and didn't cause me to break out. Also are you sure the makeup is causing your breakouts? My skin got bad again back in March so I completely stopped wearing makeup for five months but I still broke out just as much as I was while wearing makeup! So I figured I might as well wear makeup so I can atleast even out my skin tone. Unfortunatly if our acne is hormonal,diet related, or from a throid problem it's basically gonna be there no matter what, even if we use the best makeup or facewash.

I use everyday minerals and have had no problems at all (but I'd stay away from the finishing dust).

I don't buff hard at all, very lightly in fact and barely use any pressure.... it seems to go on fine so I've kept doing that!

I don't do the buffing motion with my minerals. It just pushes the powder into your pores and clog them up. Instead I just sweep the powder on and they work fine. I don't get break outs from makeup anymore.

I wouldn't use BE as a good example, with the exception of 1 person, everyone I know breaks out from using BE.

I am not breaking out from EM. I do not buff, at all. I just swipe it on. There is no way that buffing is good for skin.

I make sure my brushes are clean even if I have to wash them every other day.

Also, I use the CSR, so I have a good cleansing routine down that ensures that all makeup is off my face at night

wow, so many replies/tips already... thanks guys! i guess maybe i am doing it too hard! i dunno, i guess i've kinda figured that the BM instructional video was like, the Index of Mineral Makeup or something... lol... so even tho their makeup didn't work for my skin, i figured other mineral makeups should be applied the same way. i'd like to try this non-buffing, "sweeping" thing, but i hope i can do it! i'll have to "unlearn" a bad habit... hehe. so no buffing "circles," huh? just like... back and forth light sweeps?

Yup, just back and forth and across sweeps will do. That's how I apply my Joppa foundation and the coverage is great. There's no need to push the minerals into the pores. In fact, the buffing motion makes your pores look huge! If you must "buff", try sweeping gently in a circular motion versus doing hard core buffing. That will make a huge difference to your skin.

Another thing that can cause problems is blush. Depending on what is in the blush, that's usually the culprit.

I buff really hard, I don't have any problem with breakout for the moment, I've been using EM make-up for about 5 months or so

I buff gently over areas where I need more coverage & sweep the rest (sweeping doesnt give me as good of coverage). Only been using mineral makeup for 2 weeks (joppa & EM) but I really like it so far. Even slept with it on while staying with a friend who I did not want to see me without makeup on. No breakouts that seemed linked to the makeup.

Make sure & wash your brush often as mentioned. Once a week at least. Probably more often is better.

Maybe you need a more gentle brush as well?

I'm using a cheap brush now but still no issues. Still, everyone is different.

Other stuff I do:

I also leave a lot more makeup on the brush than they advise. I dont tap it all off. This gives me better coverage without having to layer over & over & over. I also use a small shadow brush to apply right over a zit. This way I get good coverage without buffing my whole face so much. I also wear a lot of moisturizer (CSR, haha) and this seems to keep a barrier between the brush & my skin. Much less itchy that way.

Now I had better not break out worse in a week :D

First I would experiment with ingredients. Some are known to cause beakouts or irritation for many (mica, bismuth oxychloride, talc, silica).

If that isn't the problem, try a different brush hair, Italian Badger is supposed to be the softest and sensitive skin-friendly.

Then I would make sure I wash my brushes after every or every other use to avoid bacterial contamination.

As for buffing, I never do that, nor would I recommend it-it is to harsh for acne prone skin and can cause microscopic tears in your skin-leading to infection & breakouts. I recommend softly tapping on your make-up and lightly whisking it in gentle circles once or twice.

Also using less product will look more natural and won't clog pores.

I also do not use a Kabuki-it picks up and wastes too much product, and it applies to heavily for my preference-I like a natural, soft look.

Be careful of your brush in three ways -(1) the material it is made of, (2) keep it clean - daily gentle washes, (3) and don't buff or press it into your skin.

I was having an unbelievable problem with my skin from brushes. I didn't understand it - but was getting horrible flares of eczema (bright red, hot and itchy) about 5-10 mins after I applied my makeup each day. I've tried a new set of synthetic brushes today - and it was the first day it did NOT happen. Too soon to make a verdict yet - but I'll post more after a month goes by if I continue not to react to them.

And - of course - not all makeup ingredients agree with each of us. EM doesn't completely agree with my skin anymore. I just ordered Afterglow Minerals last night - and expect it next week. I have hypersensitive skin - but I suspect lucky folks with tougher skin don't have as hard of a time finding things that work.

So what works for one might not work for you - be a detective and change one thing at a time until you sort it out.