Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STEVEN1

any good toner's you can tell?

is there any good toner's that i can buy. becuase this 2%SA from Biore triple action is VERy irritating and gives me dry flakes

i think dan says toners are excessive if youre on csr, but if i were to use a toner i would get one with glylcolic acid in it.

I tried using some leftover Proactiv glycolic acid toner with the CSR. Even after letting it dry for a while, the BP still went on watery and was very hard to apply. I say if you're on the CSR, don't mess around with toners, and even the least irritating ones are rather pointless. If you want the benefits of glycolic acid, use a glycolic acid moisturizer like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion.

I say if you're on the CSR, don't mess around with toners, and even the least irritating ones are rather pointless.

are they really totally pointless? i've been unsure about whether or not i need a toner. i don't use one at night which makes me nervous. i was always taught that toner is a necessary step that is often skipped. i'm not even entirely certain how they work. in beauty school they said it was needed to close pores. but i've read online that it was the prep the skin for moisturizer. and in the textbooks it says it's to balance your skin's ph.

I say if you're on the CSR, don't mess around with toners, and even the least irritating ones are rather pointless.

are they really totally pointless? i've been unsure about whether or not i need a toner. i don't use one at night which makes me nervous. i was always taught that toner is a necessary step that is often skipped. i'm not even entirely certain how they work. in beauty school they said it was needed to close pores. but i've read online that it was the prep the skin for moisturizer. and in the textbooks it says it's to balance your skin's ph.

Well, "closing the pores" is one of those beautician's myths since pores can't open or close, so toners are certainly no good for that. They can help balance your skin's pH as most washes are basic and toners are acidic, but if you use a pH-balanced cleanser like Dan's, well, non-issue, and even if you don't, your skin will return to its normal pH within about a half-hour. I'm not sure what prepping the skin for a moisturizer would chemically/biologically entail. I'm sure they must do something, but since I can't identify the purpose unlike with all my other facial products, I stay away from toners.

Well, "closing the pores" is one of those beautician's myths since pores can't open or close, so toners are certainly no good for that. They can help balance your skin's pH as most washes are basic and toners are acidic, but if you use a pH-balanced cleanser like Dan's, well, non-issue, and even if you don't, your skin will return to its normal pH within about a half-hour. I'm not sure what prepping the skin for a moisturizer would chemically/biologically entail. I'm sure they must do something, but since I can't identify the purpose unlike with all my other facial products, I stay away from toners.

So I was using google to see if I could find why it's so widely believed that pores can open and close if it's not true (there's always a reason why myths begin). And I found this:

http://store.annabellina.com/whyusefato.html

which may be hogwash.

and i found this. not entirely relevent to this thread, but interesting nevertheless:

http://www.dermstore.com/articles/article_3.htm

So I was using google to see if I could find why it's so widely believed that pores can open and close if it's not true (there's always a reason why myths begin). And I found this:

http://store.annabellina.com/whyusefato.html

which may be hogwash.

and i found this. not entirely relevent to this thread, but interesting nevertheless:

http://www.dermstore.com/articles/article_3.htm

LOL, I ran into both of those sites too while looking for information about the importance of toners. I don't really buy the arguments in the first link--it's easy to say that a toner purifies pores, hydrates tissues, and helps other treatments to penetrate more deeply, but I have trouble believing that she knows what she's talking about when her moisturizers have lots of oils in them and her toners have fragrances. I'll poke around on PubMed sometime to see if there's any legitimacy to her claims. As far as I can tell adding in a toner would cause me, a heavy BP user, more harm than good.

LOL, I ran into both of those sites too while looking for information about the importance of toners. I don't really buy the arguments in the first link--it's easy to say that a toner purifies pores, hydrates tissues, and helps other treatments to penetrate more deeply, but I have trouble believing that she knows what she's talking about when her moisturizers have lots of oils in them and her toners have fragrances. I'll poke around on PubMed sometime to see if there's any legitimacy to her claims. As far as I can tell adding in a toner would cause me, a heavy BP user, more harm than good.

Yeah. The first one seemed if-y. I think I'll stick to just using a toner in the morning until I can find a moisturizer I love and can afford. The glycolic acid gets rid of the flakes.

i use Neutrogena pore refine. its a Glycolic acid toner. but its Dryinggggg :[ , and then ushing a AHA moutrizer seems to make me even tdryer i think or im loosing my mind lol

Imo, apple cider vinegar has been my toner godsend. It leaves my skin really soft and has almost gotten rid of my blackheads and clogged pores completely. I have used it mixed with water and straight. If you have sensitive skin I would definately dilute it at leasr 50/50. I have started mixing it with green tea for the antioxidants, but it does need to be kept in the fridge it you do this. Which is kinda refreshing though.

Imo, apple cider vinegar has been my toner godsend. It leaves my skin really soft and has almost gotten rid of my blackheads and clogged pores completely. I have used it mixed with water and straight. If you have sensitive skin I would definately dilute it at leasr 50/50. I have started mixing it with green tea for the antioxidants, but it does need to be kept in the fridge it you do this. Which is kinda refreshing though.

Im with you on the ACV, been using it 50/50 out of the fridge for the past 2 weeks. It feels great on my face after I shower. and it also helps the BP absorbs smoother IMO.

im currently using my left over Proactiv Toner with Witch Hazel.

Ive found that if i dont use a toner, the excess Cetaphil cleanser i use morning and night builds up, and leaves alittle gunk on my skin. Also Toners help to even out skin tone and remove excess oil and dirt.

Has anyone tried Neutrogena Alcohol Free toner, or Nivea Visage Moisturizing toner??

the less alcohol, g-acid, witch hazel, or anything else that is an irritant within the toner wil only hurt skin.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

i use Neutrogena pore refine. its a Glycolic acid toner. but its Dryinggggg :[ , and then ushing a AHA moutrizer seems to make me even tdryer i think or im loosing my mind lol

I'm doing the same. Only in the a.m. though. The anticipated initial breakout actually took a couple of weeks to happen. I thought it would be sooner. Then out of nowhere my skin got soooooo peely. But it's subsiding. And the areas where the peeling has stopped are very soft and smooth and clear. Like the glycolic acid and aha are lifting an entire layer of my face off. I think this will be good.

im currently using my left over Proactiv Toner with Witch Hazel.

Ive found that if i dont use a toner, the excess Cetaphil cleanser i use morning and night builds up, and leaves alittle gunk on my skin. Also Toners help to even out skin tone and remove excess oil and dirt.

Has anyone tried Neutrogena Alcohol Free toner, or Nivea Visage Moisturizing toner??

the less alcohol, g-acid, witch hazel, or anything else that is an irritant within the toner wil only hurt skin.

Hey, if you live in canada, give sprectojel a shot any pharmacy or wal mart will have. 1000000X better than cetaphil. I find cetaphil leaves like a greasy weirld film on oyur face. I hated it. Spectrojel is awesome!

gagan