Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moojamba

Removing Acne from Photos!

:dance:

Okay, nobody wants acne and nobody wants to remember it.

I don't believe in superficiality, I believe in aspiration. Aspiring to look and feel as good as you deserve... not by what the cruelness of mother nature can give you. Sod her!

If you have digital pictures of yourself on the computer, very quickly and easily, you CAN remove all your acne and give yourself a perfect complexion - or at least, see how you would look with a perfect complexion. (I've done this to all my teenage pictures so I look good in them)

First, you do need a program to do this. There must be some free ones out on the internet someone can suggest, but at this point, the only ones I know of are ones that cost, or are free (illegally) if you know where to download them. The one I use is photoshop. --Oh and by the way, every model you see in the press has been photoshopped to make them look as model-like as possible. So surely you deserve to look this great too?

Photoshop instructions:

1. Take your photo and drop it into Photoshop.

2. Zoom-UP to your face so that it is almost as big as your screen (as closeup as you can get it)

3. You'll see your acne as the big red mark, surrounded by normal colour skin. (any size acne)

4. Use the select tool. Draw round the acne mark, making sure you also get the normal colour skin in your selection too

5. Goto the BLUR MORE option from the Filters menu at the top.

6. Apply this option as many times as you want, but I'd recommend about TEN times

7. Zoom back out

8. You're acne spot has been replaced by a clear smooth complexion matching the colour of the rest of your face.

For those of you without Photoshop, but another program which allows you to select an area of a picture, and BLUR it, simply do this, over your acne spots. (particular if they ruin a photo marking an important day for you, like a prom etc.)

If you want to do a fast job, then without zooming in so much, work with half of your first. The left side. Select all area of skin that is flat, from forehead down to bottom of your chin (excluding the features such as eyes) and don't select over anything that gives your face outline. (like the edge of your nose) So you're selecting one big area of skin. Then Blur this a bunch of times. You're face will develop a great, smooth perfect complexion - ready for the front of a magazine or your website! --Oh, then repeat this step with the other half of your face to match, of course.

But that's essentially the main job done on Models and celebrities in magazines. You can often tell, because if you look closely at the skin texture, it sometimes looks almost artificially smooth. It's simply been blurred. And now you can too. Good luck - and have fun!

(If anyone has any suggestions on free programs off the internet people can use to do this process, let us know)

I did this to a pic of me. I feel bad about it sort of because its fake..but Id rather not have people looking at pictures of me with my face as bad as it is. I mean their viewing it on their own time, kinda creepy when someone could be looking at your bad skin when you don't know it...

Yeah but think about it... the whole of society is fake anyway! It's like fake is the new natural.

And take girls, who cares about gender for a moment - they dress up to look nice, and wear makeup to conceal their flaws... providing they've put it on well, and not made themselves look like a tart, they'll have a much better complexion afterwards. So why should guys be the one to hide our flaws too? And back to the point of the media, every male celebrity has their faces airbrushed anyway, news readers wear makeup, it goes on and on. So you airbrushing some pictures to show the *real* you, the "you" underneith the temporary, ever-changing acne, is actually the truer you.

Maybe I didn't explain that last bit well. But it's something that just occured to me. Over a period of say, three months. You personally aren't going to change facial appearance. Your acne on the other hand, will. So what is a truer depiction of the raw "you" ? You're face under a mask of acne? Or your face including these red marks that forever change and aren't a permenent feature of how you really look?

If you have a big red spot on the end of your nose one night, will you have it for the rest of your life? No. So if you have a picture taken of you that evening - do you want to remember how you naturally look? Or how you looked just that night, with the acne ruining your natural features?

Ive only ever changed a picture to sepia tone, I not talented in paint shop etc

The only problem is I find it embarassing if someone spotted it out

seriously, its very easy just to zoom in one a spot, and blur it out. Once your zoomed back out again to original viewing size, nobody would notice. And you'd be surprised how much people study your picture, if its not actually you. They'll take one glance, "oh thats nice" then "next". So it really doesn't matter.

As someone who prides thereself in knowing alot about photoshop I'm shocked that I never tried something as simple as this. Usually when removing acne from pictures I would use the heal brush which can be long and tedious work but I tested this method on one of the pictures I had and it worked perfectly! I can't wait to fix up some pictures I thought were hopeless with my old method and throw them on myspace.

To those of you who feel bad about removing acne from your pictures, Let me say this. It's not a part of you, when your born you don't have it and for most when you die you don't either. For those of you who are embarassed about the fact that they are obviously edited and your friends and family might see them, don't worry. Your friends and family are probably familiar with your struggle and wouldn't blame you for wanting the rest of the world to see how hansome/beautiful you are without the curse that no one deserves.

im shocked at the support this is getting.

doesnt anyone see the moral and the ethical problem with doing this? And what it means your surrendering to as a member of a corrupt society

I've done this before too. Not for photos on myspace, etc, but for the ones in my room. I had some really great photos of my boyfriend and I, my family, etc. I liked looking at them, but I always focused on/thought about how my face looked in them. I never displayed the photos because I didn't like reminding myself of my bad skin every time I wanted to see a happy memory. So I photoshopped some of them and framed them and feel really happy about the fun times I've had (and not my bad skin!) when I see them.

I don't think it's that bad. But then again I do it more for myself than because of what other people might think of my photo.

At my office, our staff photographer "cleans up" our professional portraits each time we get them taken. He's evened out my skintoned and erased blemishes. I'd imagine if he didn't, people would ask for it anyway. No one has ever taken him to task for it or claimed that it's unethical.

And I agree with beany that the clone stamp works much better than blurring.

doesnt anyone see the moral and the ethical problem with doing this? And what it means your surrendering to as a member of a corrupt society

I agree coughdrop.

I absolutely don't condone this kind of crap but it's everywhere ya know? Magazines, videos, and pictures in general.

I've never done this, but only because I don't know how. Of course if you were joining a dating site or something you would try to keep it real. But otherwise I don't see anything wrong with it at all ...

first of all it has nothing to do with surrendering to society. its for me. ppl just dont get that.

to be honest, I can't believe people find anything wrong with this. some people don't clear up right away, it's a long process. so saying that instead of editing your pictures you should stick it out your actually being pretty ignorant. are we supposed to put our lives on hold and hide from camera's just because some people think it's not authentic? the type of people who make people who edit acne out of their pictures feel guilty make me very angry, what's wrong with wanting to look normal in a picture with your loved ones or friends? to tell you the truth, if I looked at an unedited picture of myself with my friends or family I wouldn't even see me, all I would see is acne on my face haunting me, the same way it has every day until now when I look in the mirror. don't get me wrong, I don't believe it's right to hide behind edited pictures, not intending on ever fixing your problem, that is dishonest. but if your truly trying to get rid of your acne and you have to have pictures taken, I see nothing wrong with wanting to show the world how beautiful you are and what you really look like.

i do it only for school pictures. I feel like im trying to like change who i really am. I would rather a girl see who i am in pictures so shes not shocked when she sees me in person. Plus once im clear il be like, what up bitches look how clear i got.

On our school pictures, you can get them airbrushed for an extra fee. My mother always tries to convince me to get that done- but I refuse. I don't want to hide who I am and when I look back in 10 years, I'd like to see what I really looked like back then.

id like to remember how i actually looked, i dont want to remember a lie, even if it isnt that big of a deal. id just rather be true, and when looking back at pictures of me, id rather just deal with the truth. Hiding never does any good.

id like to remember how i actually looked, i dont want to remember a lie, even if it isnt that big of a deal. id just rather be true, and when looking back at pictures of me, id rather just deal with the truth. Hiding never does any good.

I second that.

I second that.

Me too - so I keep a set of 'real' pictures, and then photoshop the duplicate copy :lol:

first of all it has nothing to do with surrendering to society. its for me. ppl just dont get that.

why do you think you like it (mod edit)?

Blurring sucks. Using the clone tool is so much more effective, and I believe that's what they actually do in the industry.

I am a working graphic designer & the way to do it professionally is with the healing tool & the clone tool. If you do it correctly you will get the best results this way. Blurring can result in just that, a blurry photo.

Duplicate the layer with your photo, then heavily edit the top layer so you look almost too perfect or masklike (not just zits, but any unwanted lines, wrinkles etc). Lower the opacity of the layer to about 65%, maybe higher or lower, it depends. This way you dont lose all "personality in your face" but lines & spots are "softened"; this is good also for people who dont want their photo to be a total "lie".

After lowering transparency, merge the top layer down with the original photo.

Now, you can edit out all major pimples completely. Or, if you want, you can duplicate the layer again, edit, & then lower the opacity. You can keep doing that until you get the coverage you want (it's kind of like makeup, light layers produces the most "natural" results, less blotchy looking)

When using the healing or clone tool, remember to select from an area that is the color you want & not on the edge of something darker or lighter as it will pick that up. Sometimes for larger areas it is easier to clone out the unwanted spots & then use the healing tool to blend the "seam".

Ultimately, photoshop provides several ways to do pretty much the same thing. This is how I was taught in college & how I get the best results. Hope that helps :)

Edited to add:

I dont ses what the big deal about this is either. If I wear my makeup well then in photos my acne wont show either. I see this as similar to makeup. And I like what Moojamba said, your acne is distracting people from the real you, it is like a mask that hides the person underneath.

Also, as others brought out, the editing done in magazines for celebrities & models is INSANE. It goes beyond giving them perfect skin. On top of that they are wearing heavy makeup with flattering lighting, & the best photographers. Those are the standards we are given to live up, so why not employ the same means.