Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megz

Accutanes post-effectiveness

I am 21 years old and I have been dealing with acne (not severe cystic, but VERY persistent) for about 5 or 6 years now. I am desperate to do something and against Mom's wishes, I'd like to start accutane someday soon.

So big deal if it works while you're on it....of course it will. But how well does one's skin fare afterwards? Is it supposed to have continued results? I know there is no actual 'cure' for acne, but can accutane slow it down significantly long after the course is over? What do you do after the course is over?

Any answers would be a big help.

Well, my skin was 100% better afterwards. I've been off it for 6 months and just got back on it and my skin has looked acceptable ever since getting off of it...My oil came back 100% (:() though and I was still getting some pimples, so I went back to see if I could get an upped dose and see how that would take care of it more long-term.

I used to get very inflammed, pus-filled things like everyday and my face was FULL of red marks, but after my first Accutane round, I haven't gotten any pimples like that again and all my red marks disappeared. I have gotten only a handful or two or pimples after being off of it, compared to buckets of them before. :P I've even been complimented on my skin (just this week, even!) after being off of it. The only reason I went back on it was because I'm TIRED of oil and I'm tired of worrying about if I will get a pimple or not...When you're on 'tane, there is NO worrying about either of those (for me anyways :o) at all, ever.

Like I said, just a couple days ago my buddy said "Your skin looks really clear and stuff though..." when I told him I was going back on Accutane and he was trying to get me to give him the pills because he gets blackheads on his nose...:lol: I was like dude whatever...I couldn't even see any, he's such a doof. :P

Well thanks for your input.

Even if your skin is oily, I doubt your acne will come back full force like it was. I mean, you don't want your skin to be TOO dry, because that will just result in wrinkles when you're older. I think if you've been off acc. for a long time and things look good, i wouldn't go back on. But again, I'm no expert!

to sum it up. For many people, they are cured. others require a second course. and some find that most of their acne as been cured and continue with antibiotics or other methods. A low dose of accutane sounds just right to me

no don't go low dose, its not as effective. kill it with high dose. i'm on accutane and its been nothing so far (one month almost) it seems very overhyped about being a hardcore drug.

hangovers are much worse than accutane side effects and it is the closest thing to a cure.. do it!!