Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After (properly) reading through Independent Thinker's smoothie thread just now, I was a little shocked to discover that people mentioned lettuce has no nutritional value whatsoever. Is this true? Why is it implemented in health foods, salads etc, if it has no nutritional impact on our health at all?

After (properly) reading through Independent Thinker's smoothie thread just now, I was a little shocked to discover that people mentioned lettuce has no nutritional value whatsoever. Is this true? Why is it implemented in health foods, salads etc, if it has no nutritional impact on our health at all?

Correct. Lettuce is a total waste if you are trying to see any results due to vitamin content, mineral value, or fiber. It's a poor source of fiber compared to the majority of vegetables/greens you could be eating. You want it easy? Stick with green beans, broccoli, and any other basic vegetables raw. Case closed.

:ninja:

In case anyone wants to "try" to correct me:

Lettuce Nutritional Data

Correct. Lettuce is a total waste if you are trying to see any results due to vitamin content, mineral value, or fiber. It's a poor source of fiber compared to the majority of vegetables/greens you could be eating. You want it easy? Stick with green beans, broccoli, and any other basic vegetables raw. Case closed.

Lettuce Nutritional Data

Case opened. You're wrong. Case closed.

No wait, fuck closing cases.

You linked to ICEBERG lettuce. Didn't you read the guy above you's post? ICEBERG has little to no nutritional value, but dark green romaine lettuce on the other hand is very healthy. In fact, leafy greens contain more nutrients per calorie then any other food. More then berries, more then liver, more then fruit, more then eggs.

In case Necromancer wants to "try" to correct me:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20dv.html

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ice&dbid=61

Iceberg lettuce has nutritional values!

I'd like to know how you're calculating the nutritional value of foods.

I hope you are aware that 100 grams of a food is a meaningless measure and that we have no obligatory "by weight" needs

The nutritional content is calculated by calories, how many micronutrients are in 100 calories of a food

Let's say a food provides 0.4 grams of iron per 100 grams

Let's say another food provides 2 grams of iron per 100 grams

Let's say 100 grams of the first foods are 40 calories

Let's say that 100 grams of the second are 600 calories

The first food would provide therefore 1 gram of iron each 100 calories

The second food would provide 1 gram of iron each 300 calories

A normal diet of 1800 calories founded on the first food would provide all the iron you need

Even a 3000 calories diet founded on the second food would be deficient in iron

The first food is riched in iron not the second one

Iceberg lettuce nutrients density compared to spinach nutrients density appears to be smaller but NOT AT ALL irrelevant or nutrients deficient

Calcium 127 - 430 (iceberg - spinach)

Iron 3 - 9 (iceberg - spinach)

Magnesium 50 - 380 (iceberg - spinach)

Phosphorous 142 - 249 (iceberg - spinach)

Potassium 1200 - 2600 (iceberg - spinach)

Vitamin C 20 - 132 (iceberg - spinach)

Folate 300 - 800 (iceberg - spinach)

Guest Stu :-)

Lettuce Nutritional Data

Case opened. You're wrong. Case closed.

No wait, fuck closing cases.

You linked to ICEBERG lettuce. Didn't you read the guy above you's post? ICEBERG has little to no nutritional value, but dark green romaine lettuce on the other hand is very healthy. In fact, leafy greens contain more nutrients per calorie then any other food. More then berries, more then liver, more then fruit, more then eggs.

In case Necromancer wants to "try" to correct me:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20dv.html

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ice&dbid=61

:lol: nice one

Iceberg lettuce is a good choice for people who are 'super tasters'. Super tasters can taste the very bitter qualities of vegetables that other people can't. If you are a supertaster, you probably loathe vegetables and your mommy couldn't make you eat them no matter what. Iceberg lettuce is more palatable and less bitter.

eh..w/e. veggies are good, to a certain degree. (too much of anything is bad, someway somehow). i just follow the idea The greener the better. but it cant hurt having some of any veggies, to an extent that is.

Nah, you can overdose on lettuce and there's not gonna be any real problems as compared to meat or sugar or something seeing as there's so few calories in lettuce, the vit. A is all caroteniods, vit. C can be taken in high doses, etc.