Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubsin2100

Retin-A and Duac questions

Hey everyone, I'm new here, I read alot of the boards, but I have never posted. Briefly, I've been through all the treatments, including accutane, none of which have worked, and its taking its toll on me.

So here is my current scenario. I was prescribed Retin-A micro for the first time over the summer, but I did not handle it well. I would actually put on the Retin-A and BP at night, and I did this for about 4 weeks. However, it seemed to create a bunch of small white acne dots under my skin, they completely cover my face. I never had these before that I can remember (I cannot guarantee causation though), normally my acne is extremely cystic. I also began to get acne around my my mouth and under my mouth, where this had never before been a problem. As a result, I gave up on the Retin-A (I know, it was too soon to give up, but I did). At the time, I was also on doxycycline.

About a month ago I was prescribe duac gel, which I use day and night. Yet I still have these white bumps that seems like every day a new one comes to the surface and becomes a nasty zit (I don't pop them). They eventually go away, but new ones come up every day, and the the doxy/ duac seem to have no effect on all these right under the surface white bumps.

My question is if I should try doing the Retin-A again, and maybe rotating it with the Duac. I have a derm appointment in about a month, but I don't know if I can wait that long. I still have plenty of Retin-A to use. My thought is that I gave Duac enough of a course, it was just a medicine I figured I could use during the day. I was thinking that maybe if I started Retin-A and stuck with it, it would bring all those white things out once and for all, and I could finish the course of the IB that I think I didn't actually kick because I gave up on Retin-A so quick. I know the Retin-A was being absorbed when I first took it, because my face would burn easily.

So what do you think? I am very desperate for results, my life is a bit of a mess, and I dunno... I know I should stick with just the duac for a little more, but its tough not seeing any results at all (things seem to be worse?)

Thanks.

I would use the Retin A and Duac. use the Duac at least 20 mins before you put on the retin A to let it completely absorb. Your acne sounds pretty bad. did accutane help at all? how many courses were you on?

I would use the Retin A and Duac. use the Duac at least 20 mins before you put on the retin A to let it completely absorb. Your acne sounds pretty bad. did accutane help at all? how many courses were you on?

Accutane didn't help me much at all that I can remember. I have taken 1 course of it about a year and a half ago. I took it over the summer while I was working at a summer camp, and I was never able to keep it refrigerated, in fact, the pills were mushy... so I am always skeptical to know if I know gave accutane a fighting chance or not. I have contemplated going on a second course, but my parents will not use the insurance to pay for it. After being on accutane, I went through a difficult year in a school, and I was very stressed, and became somewhat depressed. My parents thought I was depressed because of the accutane. I am not sure if I was or wasn't, I do know it was depressing to still have acne.

My acne is pretty bad... I do not know if I even want to go on accutane again, knowing what a scary drug it is... so right now, I may try the Retin-A again.

Accutane didn't help me much at all that I can remember. I have taken 1 course of it about a year and a half ago. I took it over the summer while I was working at a summer camp, and I was never able to keep it refrigerated, in fact, the pills were mushy... so I am always skeptical to know if I know gave accutane a fighting chance or not. I have contemplated going on a second course, but my parents will not use the insurance to pay for it. After being on accutane, I went through a difficult year in a school, and I was very stressed, and became somewhat depressed. My parents thought I was depressed because of the accutane. I am not sure if I was or wasn't, I do know it was depressing to still have acne.

My acne is pretty bad... I do not know if I even want to go on accutane again, knowing what a scary drug it is... so right now, I may try the Retin-A again.

I just read my box of accutane and it said to store it away from light at 68-77 degrees F. so that may have had some effect on your accutane treatment. definitely try retin A again, give it at least 3 months. that's how long it took me to see any results with Retin A. and if that doesn't help i would seriously consider a second course of accutane.

Yea, I think I will wait after the retin-a... just talked to my parents and they are not letting me do accutane again.

Why not. are they scared of the side effects, or is it an insurance issue. i doubt the accutane made you depressed since it happened after you finished your course, although i don't know that for sure i'm not a medical expert. if they're worried about you becoming depressed you can tell them that the acne is making you depressed already. Like I said before give the Retin A a fair shot and if that doesn't work I would try to convince them to let you go on accutane again. a second course may do the trick especially if you store the medicine correctly so it has a higher chance of being effective.

I'm on Retin-a (pm) and duac (am) right now. You mentioned you don't have a derm appt for another month, but I would still call and explain to the nurse that you'd like to incorporate your old Retin-a but want to touch base with them before you do so to determine the best way to do it. She can talk to the doctor and call you back. At least that's how it works for me. I would not go mixing old and new scrips without your derm knowing/advising you on the best way to do it.

Yah, I think thats what I am gonna do... were you ever on either one alone then? How long were you on just one if you were? Are they doing well for you?

Not sure if someone already put this in there, but don't use BP and Retin A at the same time (there is BP in the Duac)... they will cancel each other out. use Duac in the morning, Retin A at night.

Not sure if someone already put this in there, but don't use BP and Retin A at the same time (there is BP in the Duac)... they will cancel each other out. use Duac in the morning, Retin A at night.

Yah, this I actually knew... which is weird, because when I first used Retin-A, I used it for about a month, and for most of the month, I used in right at the same time as BP (I didn't know then). But as a result (or a correlation), I got a bunch of pustules (small white dots just sittin right under the skin) all over my face and in places they'd never been before.

BTW... what is good for small white dots right under the skin? I am using currently Duac morning at night, and throwing some more BP on at night for good measure... and also Doxy pills, (I havent started Retin-A yet... I think I want to give the Duac at least 6 weeks on its own first)

Yah, this I actually knew... which is weird, because when I first used Retin-A, I used it for about a month, and for most of the month, I used in right at the same time as BP (I didn't know then). But as a result (or a correlation), I got a bunch of pustules (small white dots just sittin right under the skin) all over my face and in places they'd never been before.

BTW... what is good for small white dots right under the skin? I am using currently Duac morning at night, and throwing some more BP on at night for good measure... and also Doxy pills, (I havent started Retin-A yet... I think I want to give the Duac at least 6 weeks on its own first)

Retin A is good for those white dots

Hi there,

Ive had acne since the age of 13, now 19. Ive used so many different treatments over the last 6years. A couple of years ago my GP put me on Retin-a. I saw improvements in my skin but no amazing results. In july last year my derm put me on Duac and also Dianette (a bc pill) it took a couple of months to kick in but the duac really cleared up my skin. I have moderate acne, at first the duac made it worse but then it started clearing up really quick. In Dec last year i came off the dianette and just used duac, my skin remained clear. Just recently my skin has gotton worse again so im going back on the dianette to see if this will make any improvements. Im wondering if my skin has just gotton used to the duac now as i have been on it for over a year. Has anyone else had this problem? After reading this forum im considering using retin-a at the same time as duac to see if that helps. i have been back on dianette for a month or so now and my skin is improving again i think....

Just thought i'd let people know how i got on with Duac as suprisingly it doesnt seem like many people have heard of it or tried it!

Im really hoping my skin clears up again as the only next option as far as i know is accutane and i really dont wanna get on to that if poss!

Hope this helps a little bit

x