Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fil

Hydrocortisone 1%

I got bitten by a spider and i got a hydrocortisone 1% cream. I read something about it being anti-inflammatory, but drying? So could I use this to treat new pimples or something like that?

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

i use hydrocortisone for my eczma. my derm strictly told me NOT to use it for my acne because it works by thinning out the skin. well, i ignored her thinking hmm thinning a pimple would help right? well, at first, yeah it healped for maybe 3 days. then i realised how WRONG i was! stuffed my skin up so badly!

dont attempt it. np matter how tempted you are. becides i know from my own experiance and my brothers who all have eczma that prolonged use is really harmfull and will just end up blistering the skin.

not worth it.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

i use hydrocortisone for my eczma. my derm strictly told me NOT to use it for my acne because it works by thinning out the skin. well, i ignored her thinking hmm thinning a pimple would help right? well, at first, yeah it healped for maybe 3 days. then i realised how WRONG i was! stuffed my skin up so badly!

dont attempt it. np matter how tempted you are. becides i know from my own experiance and my brothers who all have eczma that prolonged use is really harmfull and will just end up blistering the skin.

not worth it.

I actually use hydrocortisone somewhat regularly, and have for years without any bad effects. Only with cystic acne, and it works wonders. Whenever I get something hideous, I constantly put a layer of tretinoin gel followed by 1% hydro and it always clears up REAL fast. The main reason I use the hydro is to help prevent any scarring, and I feel that as long as I use the tretinoin it will help my skin stay healthy (as long as the hydrocortisone isn't abused).

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

not worth it.

I actually use hydrocortisone somewhat regularly, and have for years without any bad effects. Only with cystic acne, and it works wonders. Whenever I get something hideous, I constantly put a layer of tretinoin gel followed by 1% hydro and it always clears up REAL fast. The main reason I use the hydro is to help prevent any scarring, and I feel that as long as I use the tretinoin it will help my skin stay healthy (as long as the hydrocortisone isn't abused).

Laurenmaree is right in that hydrocortisone thins the skin (which can lead to premature aging). The reason why tinpen91 has not had any adverse side effects with long-term use of hydrocortisone is because tretinoin is thought to potentially negate the side effects of hydrocortisone use.