Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InRepair

Feeling Overwhelmed right now

Hi I’m Stephanie, I’m 21 years old and I’ve been checking out this board for a week or two, I haven’t even gotten to all the sections yet there is so information which is great. I’ve been suffering acne since I was young. I had very bad acne in middle school and in high school, it damage my self image of myself and self confident, and I never got treatment for it, I just went with the flow. It wasn’t till I got into college that I decided to try proactiv, well needless to say I’m not wasting my money on that crap anymore, its not working and I’m still breaking out like crazy everyday. I was using it for about 2 ½ years and it worked good for awhile but now its clear to me I need to find something new cause I’m not liking at all what I look like.

So decided to look up stuff on acne and I happen to come across this board and there is just so much information its overwhelming, but I am reading both the board and web site and a lot of questions are being answered and I am considering trying the Clear Skin Regimen. I’ve seen the pictures and read the stories and they sound amazing, I mean worst come to worst it doesn’t work for me and it makes my face more worst then it already is. The only thing I am concern is that once I stop using proactiv and switch I will break out which I understand can happen by reading all the threads.

I am reading all the information on the products and there is so many the only question I have is how can I know what I need?, I don’t want to buy something that I don’t need. I mean there is like 3 cleaners, a bunch of moisturizers etc. Since my face has been use to proactiv and I’m already use to using benzoyl peroxide, did anyone who went from using proactiv to clear skin regimen, have any major problems? I know everyone is different but I want to get a good idea that I am not getting myself into anymore heart break or anymore products that is going not do anything for me. I also have a problem with really bad oil skin, yet at the sometimes dry skin (go figure uh) so I didn’t know if anyone had that problem what they use also.

I’m just so frustrated with hating how I look and I’m just tired after all these years waking up in the morning with something new on my face. I dunno any help would be great or any directions to any threads with more information would be good too. I know that this type of post isn’t new and I am sure you guys get asked a millions times what should I use? What should I do? Etc, which is why I am asking just point me to a thread cause reading this board is a tad overwhelming me for, or if anyone just wants to post what they think I should do, it would be greatly appreciated

I know exactly how you feel. There is so much information. Just keep reading the board (people are very knowledgeble here) and keep asking questions. And try to not stress about it too much. As far as products go, less is more. (I'm a product whore. Don't follow my example.) You need a gentle cleanser, a benzoyl peroxide cream like Neutrogena On The Spot, and an oil free moisturizer with an spf. Bp makes your skin more sensitive to the sun. If you're already used to bp, you shouldn't have any major problems making the transition. And because your skin is used to it, you could probably use a moisturizer with AHA. But if you want to play it safe, deal with the flakiness for a week or 2 then switch to a moisturizer with AHA. At the top of this page you should see something that says "Check out the Clear Skin Regimen for a free,

step-by-step acne treatment program". Read all that. There are even product recommendations and an faq.

Guest Sincerely_Me

Hey, welcome to the boards.

I used ProActiv before starting the CSR, ProActiv did nothing for me, so switching wasn't an issue. The CSR did for me in days what ProActiv promised in a few weeks. I wasn't totally clear, but got near it.

ProActiv is a bit irritating IMO, the exfoliant in the cleanser is horrible. Switching the the CSR, I don't think could do that much harm. I wouldn't tell you to try it if I thought it would be bad. Being GENTLE is key, and you need to be sure to do it exactly and you'll have results.

I recommend Dan's products and a good moisturizer like Cetaphil. You can't go wrong with the simple stuff.

Ok so i think i'll get these products and hopefully they will work, gentle cleanser and cetaphil moisturizing lotion, i dunno if there is anything else i need, i hear people talk about neutrogena on the spot but that's more for the breaks out you already have right? i dunno if i need that, i'll start with the cleanser and moisturer and see how that goes.

You definitely need some kind of BP treatment...and no, it's not just for treating active breakouts. BP kills the bacteria most likely to cause the majority of acniform eruptions (P. acnes). So, part of the regimen made by Dan is to use BP gel/cream every day, partly to get rid of the acne you've got now, and to keep any new spots from forming. I can vouch for the simplicity of the regimen...I started using it a few months ago, and I've been amazed by the results.

As far as the moisturizer is concerned, everyone seems to have a kind they swear by, so I won't add mine to the pile. But I think the cetaphil brand is fine.

Remember, the most important thing is that you STICK WITH IT. It may take weeks or even months to clear up completely, but once it does, you can forget about your acne. Happy Regimen-ing!

Ok so i think i'll get these products and hopefully they will work, gentle cleanser and cetaphil moisturizing lotion, i dunno if there is anything else i need, i hear people talk about neutrogena on the spot but that's more for the breaks out you already have right? i dunno if i need that, i'll start with the cleanser and moisturer and see how that goes.