Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

You guys may have already read this

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Final...e%20Article.pdf

This article has changed my stance on diet and acne. I am now excited to work on this. I changed the myths page accordingly: http://www.acne.org/myths.html

I'm talking with Joel about building a new part of acne.org where people can post their food intake diary along with weekly pictures so we can all figure this out together. I think if we work as a team on this we might be able to show the world what works and what doesn't. Stay tuned...

Lemme Be The First To Say:

One small step backwards for acne and it's evil intentions!

One Ginat Leap for Acne Suffering Kind!

Wow! Good news!!!! It could make a difference for so many people who still don't know of or understand the connection.

I think it would be fantastic to be able to share a diet with people that would tackle acne from the inside out and get at the root of the problem.

im not sure if this will solve any questions. mainly bc food affects everyone differently. just because someone breaks out on cheese doesnt mean everyone will break out on cheese. also, how would it be a real experiment if most all of us use some sort of topical, vitamin, antibiotic, etc? even if the person who logs his/her food everyday, im sure if he/she starts getting pimples, he/she will use the bp, sa, etc on those pimples or general area, which will taint the experiment. also the issue of compliance must be addressed.

Theres just too many more questions left unanswered/unaccounted for in the end. This would be useful mainly for people to read what aggravates other peoples acne--and not necessarily what aggravates their own acne.

Long ago I wrote threads about the diet acne connection in this forum specifically citing Cordain's work.

The world will be in trouble. There is not enough "real food" to feed the masses.

Real food is fresh green stuff and organic grass-fed meat and fish without toxin.

You see the world lives on grains.

Lemme Be The First To Say:

One small step backwards for acne and it's evil intentions!

One Ginat Leap for Acne Suffering Kind!

Me and casenickles and about 3 others of the whole 40,000+ members to this site have been saying this, practicing this, and knowing this forever. It's about time we are rewarded for our thoughts! Case closed.

:ninja:

i've always thought of keeping a food log. ive done that while on Wai's diet.

one's log may not be an answer to everyone's question but at least it will definitely benefit the owner of it.

Even thought not everyone here is crazy about the paleo diet this is indeed a huge step.

Acne.org is a number one site for acne and so this will shed a lot of light on the whole nutritional issue.

The problem is Cordain's theory just does not hold up to science.

His theory is that insulin release, caused primarily from refined sugars, is the cause of acne. And this just does not appear to be the case.

i was thinking hard one day about...what to be in the future. or specifically, wut kinda of doctor to be. radiologist like my uncle? dentist dude? but then i realized wut would be nice. a dermatologist. although i know some crap here and there, i would like to know more some day. hopefully the knowledge i learn, specifically from this site and links, i could help others like me, mainly those who were told diet does not affect acne. and i told myself "as long as people keep eating shit, I will still be around," assuming i actually become one. w/e, ill just keep dreaming

excuse me for rambling my thoughts

The problem is Cordain's theory just does not hold up to science.

His theory is that insulin release, caused primarily from refined sugars, is the cause of acne. And this just does not appear to be the case.

His theory is not that simple, blood sugar control is one of the major aspect of acne but not the only one; Cordain for examples put as much emphasis on dietary choices that affects IGF-1 and they're not just related to refined carbs alone

I've already posted many times the same things Cordain is saying in this new article; that's it: the known processes involved in the development of acne and how they potentiate each other

Cordain is also trying to understand and is sharing his results so far with us, what dietary choices affect these processes. Bloog sugar control is just a tiny part of this and if you read the article Dan has linked you'll realize it

Dan, is great to read such a post from you !!!

That article is mostly over my head, but I think I will try that diet and see if it helps me. I have been suffering from not only acne but fatigue for some years. What can it hurt to try this. The only thing I question is the amount of fish they recommend. Fish has mercury in it. I will probably go mostly with other land meats and a small amount of fish.

That article is mostly over my head, but I think I will try that diet and see if it helps me. I have been suffering from not only acne but fatigue for some years. What can it hurt to try this. The only thing I question is the amount of fish they recommend. Fish has mercury in it. I will probably go mostly with other land meats and a small amount of fish.

Well, but what is important about this article is not the diet per se but the premises upon which to build a diet

When you know the basis there are thousands of ways to implement them

I've been interested in the last period in a diet called Eat2Live

What mainly interests me about this diet is the sound concept of nutrients density = nutrients/calories

As my rubbery ovine friend (R.S.) has said such broad concept can be implemented in your own plan in millions different ways and in fact I'm still tweaking it to suit my needs and tastes

Such concept implemented into a diet makes the diet automatically immune to the triggering effects upon those processes involved in the development of acne

Fatigue is not healthy and it's indeed an universal trait of western sickness

Sometimes it is neurocardiologically related and can't be cured but it can be soother anyway by increasing the nutritional density and decreasing the caloric density of your diet

Fatigue responds well to DHA and EPA supplements and I suggest you to take a supplement rather than rely on contaminated fish. But fatigue responds well to the increased nutritional density too and so does acne because such increased density implies the avoidance of all metabolic triggers affencting the 6 points Cordain mentions as the path to acne

Well Dan, I never thought I'd see the day. But I'm really glad you're finally seeing it :) You may want to take a look at SweetJade's posts or ask her for some studies on diet and acne, she knows all.

Some good things to touch on would be:

-low glycemic load diet

-eating the right fats

-lowering carb/grain intake unless you're an athlete

-whole foods approach

Then there's the foods to avoid:

-there's scientific abstracts on pubmed.gov linking dairy to acne, so there's one.

-investigating food allergies

-emphasizing there is no one size fits all approach to diets, just like one size doesn't necessarily fit all as far as topicals.

And yeah, like Danny said the whole health = nutrients / calories is so ridiculously simple yet true... I don't think Joel Fuhrman is necessarily all-knowing though, but I've been having great health benefit from eating green smoothies (and better skin tone :)) daily, which Fuhrmen recommends leafy greens as the basis to a diet...

Guest Sincerely_Me

i've always thought of keeping a food log. ive done that while on Wai's diet.

one's log may not be an answer to everyone's question but at least it will definitely benefit the owner of it.

Great idea. Logs help with so many other issues, might as well use.it for this.

i aws confused throughout the whole article

Same here.... Could someone some up what it was basically saying?

This article has changed my stance on diet and acne. I am now excited to work on this. I changed the myths page accordingly: http://www.acne.org/myths.html

Dan oh Dan... how long have I been telling you! You're like: no, I want a burrito... :)

Wow! Thanks for posting this Dan! The doctor who put this together REALLY did their research. Lots of people "claim" that diet might have something to do with acne, but too often their opinion isn't based on anything concrete. They just regurgitate something they read online and call it their own. haha...but it's great to see the information from a reputable source where the author quotes their sources and understands the research.

Thanks again!

i aws confused throughout the whole article

Same here.... Could someone some up what it was basically saying?

Diet CAN AFFECT acne.

It's been known to a select few 1% and denied by 99% of the acne population because most people refuse to believe they may have to change what they eat to see the best results possible.

Case closed.

:ninja:

Well I've known of this (complex) connection for over 4 years and have worked hard to spread the news around several message boards, along with the science to back it up.

Of course, some boards happily accepted alternative methods (LOL) and others boards made it very difficult to continue (i.e. healthboards) due to pulling posts (thx to advertisers) or through constant arguments and disrespect from fellow board members.

Nevertheless, I'm impressed that now Acne.org is willing to admit what myself and others around here have known for years and is now ready to help out!

Thank you.

(maybe now I can get some ZZZs)

;)