Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pennypal

Only subcision makes sense

When it comes to boxcar scars and rolling scars they only treatment that makes sense to me is subcision. Subcision is one type of needling. Many of the people here are talking about CID- collagen induction therapy -when they talk of needling.

Subsicion is done by holding the skin tight and breaking the tethers of the scar ( I believe these are strands that hold the scar to the dermis.) If these strands are not broken then the scar simply becomes more noticeable as you age because skin laxity occurs ( to everyone), we loose subcutaneous fat in our face, and the skin hangs

on the scar creating more of a shadow and making it more noticeable.

I've gathered this from research; I could be wrong. The only exception I can see is if a very strong peel (phenol or co2) or dermabrasion removes the teethers along with the scars.

Of course a lot of techniques and chemicals will help these types of scars for quite awhile.

Leslie

I agree, some of my scars do look better after performing saline injections which goes in and helps break up that scar tissue that is holding the skin down. It is like a chemical subcision with less down time. Even though my scars look good when stretched, which is suppose to mean they are not tethered down, I believe they are. After breaking up or weakening the sides of the scar with the saline I have been practicing needling all over even from the sides like you would when injecting. I feel it has really smoothed the edges, however when the scar does repair it is still repairing as scar tissue, however I do see it being slightly raised. Some of my boxscars may just be missing too much tissue to really raise up to normal but I will give it more time and see. Using good topicals may also help smoothen everything out!

A subcision totally removed my worst boxcar scar. But the surgeon made a incision and "released" the scar tissue. Kind of like skinning an animal and than used self-dissolving internal sutures. Good luck!

Just a heads up. I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Monheit in Birmingham, AL for Friday. I asked about subcision over the phone but the girl answering wasn't sure if they did those. I'm hoping they do. I guess I'll find out in the consult. I have rolling scars and I think subcision would definately be the best for them. You can tell because when I smile lines are created in my face where the scars are. The surface of the skin looks relatively normal except for the depressions. I'll take pictures before any procedure I do and keep you guys posted.

^ if the girl doesnt know about subcision then you should run the f**ck away.. because any derm that doesnt know how to do subcision sucks donkey balls..

"The surface of the skin looks relatively normal except for the depressions"

perfect! go do subcision and save money.

^ if the girl doesnt know about subcision then you should run the f**ck away.. because any derm that doesnt know how to do subcision sucks donkey balls..

I'm not sure which derm's perform subcision in my area. I guess I should just open the phone book and call each one. Do the receptionists know exactly which treatments the docs are doing usually? I find it a little surprising that a treatment that seems to work pretty well is not used more widely.

A subcision totally removed my worst boxcar scar. But the surgeon made a incision and "released" the scar tissue. Kind of like skinning an animal and than used self-dissolving internal sutures. Good luck!

wow. who's your doctor - if you don't mind my asking... congrats on your success!!!! :)

They all know how to do subcision, excisions any of the basics. Your talking to a teenage chick at the counter when u call these places. They dont know most procedures unless they are very commonly preformed at teh place. Best bet is to make an appt or to emial as a real doc will talk.

Dr. Frank Shagets, I don't know if you should expect the overall improvement I got on one scar.

Thanks, sweetie. I'm so glad it worked for you.

Kanmi - lots of American doctors perform subcision; in fact, in your neck of the woods Dr. Rick Wilson in Plano is EXCELLENT at it.

I'm going to do Subscision with my cosmetic surgeon.

She says she usually gets about 50% improvments with her clients. She then follows up with Sculptra if there is still any indentations.

Laser resurfacing is good also, if needed, but certain ethnicities are prone to discoloration.

I'm from Southern CA. This is my surgeon: http://www.dermatology.labiomed.org/page2....ers/ehrlich.txt

eh. i've self needled. will be getting subcision done this winter, though my derm refers to it as undermining. i'm glad it's the option he chose because it's one of the only procedures i've read rather positive accounts of.

I am still confused about the streching of the skin and tethering.

I am older and thought subscision would be a good option for me.

When I pull my skin tight, alot of my scars look much better. My scars also looked much better when I was younger.

Does this mean there is hope or not??

I am still confused about the streching of the skin and tethering.

I am older and thought subscision would be a good option for me.

When I pull my skin tight, alot of my scars look much better. My scars also looked much better when I was younger.

Does this mean there is hope or not??

There's definately hope. Just see a dermatologist and tell him/her about the history of your skin. Don't worry. You just need a good boost of collagen. Probably 3 to 5 treatments of Cooltouch or Smoothbeam laser and subcision for the deeper scars will do.

Or you can ask if your derm does the needling roller treatment.