Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Nohxpolitan

2 years, skin has not improved much [pics]

Guest Nohxpolitan

I've been using BP for 2 years now following the regimen and i'm pretty dissapointed...i've tried so many combinations of the regimen there's really nothing left. my skin looks absolutely terrible. i went camping last week and forgot my bp so i havn't used it for almost a week but my skin looks the same anyway as it did before, maybe suggesting it doesn't do anything for me anyway. and this is the first time i've gone without it.

sooo yeah i'm 18, in college and pretty bummed because i have worse skin then just about everyone i see. basically i'm looking for any other ideas because i'm so fed up with this. oh yeah - my skin also always looks sunburned which gets to me about as much as the acne. i went to a derm and he blamed the bp because i 'spread it all over my pillow' but my face was red long before i started the regimen...

[attachmentid=6070][attachmentid=6071][attachmentid=6072]

post-26901-1158948906_thumb.jpg

post-26901-1158948912_thumb.jpg

post-26901-1158948917_thumb.jpg

post-26901-1158948906_thumb.jpg

post-26901-1158948912_thumb.jpg

post-26901-1158948917_thumb.jpg

I know we are our own worst critics, but your acne really is very mild. I hope you don't feel it is horrible.

If the CSR isn't working for you, let's figure out why.

Would you be willing to list which products you are using and exactly HOW you are using them?

And please read the "biggest mistakes" page and see if anything raises a red flag for you.

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

If you went to the derm didn't he give you oral and topicals for your acne? Some minocin?doxy? anything?

topicals--retin A, cleocin T, anything? stop using bp it just dries the skin out and makes it red terribly.

I take doxy and use retina a and Fineaca.

Guest Nohxpolitan

what i've been doing lately is neutrogena gentle facial scrub in the morning in the shower, then just use bp at night followed by eucerin daily renewal which is use once in the morning too...i used to use neutrogena oil free acne wash before bp appplication but i felt like doing that then putting bp on was just drying my face out more. also the salylic acid then bp was not a good combination, that was sort of an experiment. but again, i've tried so many variations and products it would take forever to list them all. none of the major don'ts really seem to apply to me much though.

also i need to shave just about every day and i always get a bunch of white heads hours later...i use the gillete fusion which is the best i have used so far but i guess that's not saying much.

my derm reccomended a product but i looked up the reviews and recall that i found about 1 decent rating out of 10 so i disregarded that, i don't recall what it is now though. i've used retin a years ago and i recall that it didn't do anything.

Srubs and Acne washes are not good choices to use while on the CSR. Have you tried a gentle, non medicated cleanser? Maybe Dan's cleanser, something like it, followed with BP for a long enough time (at LEAST a month or two) would give you better results. Just some advice.

Guest Nohxpolitan

i've tried about 10 different gentle cleansers, everything from the natural foods store to acne soap bars.

i've been reading about apple cider vinegar, i have a big issue with red marks and oil as well - does anyone have exerpience with trying that?

Do you take any vitamins? anything herbal at all? I'm on a pretty good oral herb right now that come in easy to swallow capsules called Refresh. Pretty good product, i'm 95% clear using it and the csr.

There's no way to "try different variations" of the regimen. I have always made sure to call it the "regimen" because that's what it is--something you have to follow precisely, every day, twice a day. My suggestion:

1. Get either purpose gentle cleansing bar or CSRcleanser for your cleanser, CSRgel for your BP, and get two moisturizers--neutrogena healthy skin with AHA for during the day and neutrogena oil-free moisture or something equally light that contains no active ingredients for the evening.

2. Follow the regimen at http://www.acne.org/regimen.html which means twice a day, every day, lots of BP (this is absolutely vital), and staying very gentle (like no scrubs or anything like that). Watch the videos at http://www.acne.org/video.html and read http://www.acne.org/biggesmistakes.html

3. Commit. Decide from whenever you start to give the regimen 3-4 months of strict adherence. That means every single morning and every single evening, never missing an application, always using lots of bp, and everything else.

On the other hand, if you're not in the mood for a regimen, don't bother with it honestly. It only works well when followed precisely. Something that worked amazing wonders for me was accutane. http://www.acne.org/accutane.html and that requires little time commitment.

Whatever you decide, good luck and keep us posted.

Guest Nohxpolitan

I did it for about 2 months in the beginning 2x a day but it tore my skin up terribly so i switched to once a day, using eucerin and a purpose bar at the time. i remember being emberassed to show up to work and even some customers asked me what was wrong with my skin because, no joke, i looked like a tomato.

maybe i'll give the csr one last go like how you said for a while before i switch over to anything because i'm a little afraid of accutane though. thanks for all the replies.

i noticed a lot of bumps are on your chin and neck..where i assume you shave. maybe do something different about that...cant tell you what cause im a girl, but just observing

lose the scrub STRAIGHT THE WAY

scrubs are TERRIBLE and cause acne due to the excess irritation.

ditch that the 2nd u read this lol, then burn it and then run to the store an buy the purpose wash bar :D

its a great wash and wont break you out.

scrubs cause irritation which inturn causes acne, they leave scrapes in ur skin which bacteria and p.acne can fester in, then they multiply and before you knwo it youve got a pimple there :(

what i've been doing lately is neutrogena gentle facial scrub in the morning in the shower, then just use bp at night followed by eucerin daily renewal which is use once in the morning too...i used to use neutrogena oil free acne wash before bp appplication but i felt like doing that then putting bp on was just drying my face out more. also the salylic acid then bp was not a good combination, that was sort of an experiment. but again, i've tried so many variations and products it would take forever to list them all. none of the major don'ts really seem to apply to me much though.

also i need to shave just about every day and i always get a bunch of white heads hours later...i use the gillete fusion which is the best i have used so far but i guess that's not saying much.

my derm reccomended a product but i looked up the reviews and recall that i found about 1 decent rating out of 10 so i disregarded that, i don't recall what it is now though. i've used retin a years ago and i recall that it didn't do anything.

Shaving daily is fine if you are using a good razor. Use your cleanser lather to shave with, and be sure to shave with the grain (NOT against it). This seems to be a huge thing when dealing with shaving-related acne.

Srubs and Acne washes are not good choices to use while on the CSR. Have you tried a gentle, non medicated cleanser? Maybe Dan's cleanser, something like it, followed with BP for a long enough time (at LEAST a month or two) would give you better results. Just some advice.

I agree! Scrubs always created MORE acne for me. Throw them all in the trash!

i've tried about 10 different gentle cleansers, everything from the natural foods store to acne soap bars.

i've been reading about apple cider vinegar, i have a big issue with red marks and oil as well - does anyone have exerpience with trying that?

natural food bars and acne soap bars aren't recommended Regimen products. Look back through the Recommended products list and see if you can get one of those. My personal favorite cleanser are Purpose bar or Purpose Gentle Wash, and the CSR gentle cleanser. Any of these work well and clean well. Purpose bar is more drying to some people, but it is fabulous for those of us who have super oily skin!

I did it for about 2 months in the beginning 2x a day but it tore my skin up terribly so i switched to once a day, using eucerin and a purpose bar at the time. i remember being emberassed to show up to work and even some customers asked me what was wrong with my skin because, no joke, i looked like a tomato.

maybe i'll give the csr one last go like how you said for a while before i switch over to anything because i'm a little afraid of accutane though. thanks for all the replies.

If you only gave it two months on your original try, and then went down to once a day, then that probably explains your lack of success. The CSR works best when followed precisely and exactly, each and every day. I agree with everything Dan said above in his post.

If you want to give it one more go before you think about Accutane, then commit yourself to giving it an honest try for 3 months.

Find one of the recommended gentle cleansers, either CSR gel or Neutrogena on-the-spot acne treatment, and an oil-free non-comedogenic moisturizer. When you begin again, start out using a small amount of bp and take around 4 weeks to gradually work up to the full generous amount of BP that Dan recommends. It is the generous amount of BP that is going to clear you, but you should let your skin gradually get used to it by starting out low and slow and gradually increasing the amount each week.

I like Dan's recommendations for moisturizers above. Use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion at night (in the 8 oz. or 16 oz. bottle) use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion for daytime use (it has spf to protect you from the sun and also has glycolic acid in it which will help those redmarks fade quicker ).

If you run into problems along the way, come here and make a post, or feel free to send a PM. We'll help you through this every step of the way. Generally though if people stick with it and don't change things frequently and don't skip applications, you will see clearing.

Good luck!!