Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plateaukid

My Parents Always Complain about me Complaining about Acne

Everytime I go back home, my parent's bother me about why I keep on thinking about my face and avoiding everyone. It's starting to really annoy me and I can't stand it. They lecture to me a lot on how I will suffer later on in life if I don't get to know other people in college and just keep to myself because of my face. I am tired of hearing this shit over and over again. If they took me to see a derm earlier instead of buying all that OTC medication that didn't do jackshit, I wouldn't be in this mess. It's like they check up on me every week and see how I've been doing socially in school. When I tell them that things are the same, they always say stop worrying about your face. UGHHHH!!! Do your parents do this to you???

My dad used to take the piss outa me for years sad.gif then we divorced him biggrin.gif so he has to be nice to me since my mom's itching for a reason to go ballistic at him O:)

My mom tho, bless her, always bought me diffrent OTC stuff - non of which worked proply however. Then I decided to go get some anti-biotics from my doc... save embarassment I booked an appointment for an ingrowing toe nail then after he found nuttin wrong with I just asked him if theres anything he could do about my face.

Have you tried telling your parents you want to see a derm? If they won't let you for some reason go through your doctor like I did.

Good luck!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Ha.ha..Pete my bud....I'd actually be more embarassed having an ingrown toe nail rather than acne...at least ingrown toe nail you can cover with shoes! biggrin.gif

Actually- my parents never say stuff about my face (ESPECIALLY my dad- he lets me be who I am)...mom on the other hand keeps saying stuff about 'Oh...look at that break out right there"..."Oh, that pimple looks really red" this with her face only like 10 inches from me WITH her glasses on!!! evil.gif

Sometimes they mean well- we just have to look at it that way.

same here...

my parents also bothers mi saying y i keep looking at the mirror for wat ...

but they are beri observant n know wat is happening to mi n they will secretly put money on my wallet to let mi go see derm ..

hee..

i guess becoz i haf grown up n they know that i m responsible for my actions. biggrin.gif/

Guest Crooked I

They mean well - they don't want you to turn into a hermit. If it really annoys you, tell them, but id give anything for someone to give me an emotional slap and tell me to talk to people.

I think people who don't have problems with their skin just can't get it...although when my best friend had a pretty bad burn right above her eye that scabbed and looked bad, I think she finally came close to realising how I feel every time I have a breakout...

The next time they get on your case, ask them if they'd be willing to wear a fake scab for a week, get peoples reactions, and then talk to you.......this is extreme, but sometimes nothing else works, lol. Like when men do that fake pregnant belly.........

~nancy

yeah i think smilingeyes got the point pretty good: people who dont have acne or burns or something like that just CANT imagine what the feeling is like. And scarring makes all even worse, the feeling that i will be there forever.

You cant imagine the feeling of people starring at you and the pain you feel for that if you didnt have acne yourself, or something like acne.

But there are also things you cant judge your parrents on. Maybe when they fear to be getting older, then you think 'i wish that was my problem, much easier to handle then having acne' and that is how i used to think too, but we cant imagine things like that unless we get into the situation ourselves.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Smilingeyes- My belly makes me look like I'm pregnant too...but the difference is, mine is due to lots of beer and krispy kreme! biggrin.gif

I remember when I was in like 6th and 7th grade my neighbors and I used to wrestle on the tramponline and about 9 times out of 10 I would walk into school the next day with bruises and sometimes a black eye smile.gif

I always HATED having everyone stare at it and ask me about it. And with acne it's much worse because that is something that is regarded as a problem only dirty people have.....

My mom keeps asking me why dont I got out more. My dad is ok with it. I think he understands more. But, if my mom tells me one more time that I will grow out of it....I am going to F#%$#ing scream!!!

Your parents are right.

I think I should have had more confidence.....people care less about your face than you do. I do feel like I've wasted time....lost so much time....

If you're in college now, don't let all the potential friends and stuff pass you by. You'll meet life long friends in college.

Oh btw, you need to have a good personality too! smile.gif