Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eve

eve on accutane!

Ok, so I began my accutane treatment today! Took 2x20mg pills this evening with food.

I have suffered from mild acne for over 10 years now (am 23 at the moment) and am taking accutane because I got tired of spending so much money and time worrying about acne!! sad.gif

went shopping this afternoon and stocked up on chapstick and moisturiser so I am ready to go.

wish me luck everyone, will keep you posted!!

xx Eve

Good luck and remember to take your medication as prescribed. You are pretty much guaranteed to see results at the end. I hope you never have to consider taking a second course of Accutane like some people have. 6 months of that was enough for me.

Ok, so I am now on day 3 of my accutane treatment. I have not taken today's pills yet. It's wierd but I can already see some small changes in my skin! My skin definitely feels smoother than before. I had a few spots on my chin that are quickly drying up. My forehead which has been full of loads of tiny little bumps is also looking better than it has in months. My nose on the other hand looks worse, more blackheads than I have seen in a looong time. My pores are looking huge today and I really can't wait for them to shrink up.

The only side effect I have notice so far is a slightly upset stomach. Ofcourse I can't be 100% sure it's accutane related, but it started slightly after I took my first pills so I think it is. Everything else is great, no chapped lips yet or anything.

good luck to you, and i hope it works. Is accutane something american?? i am from netherlands and have never heard of it. I heard of retin a and minocyline and clyndamicine and some other medicine, but i never heard of accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin) is a vitamin-a related drug which is probably the most successful in treating acne. I live in Finland, and here the drug is called Roaccutan. Accutane is just the American name for roaccutan/roaccutane.

It's usually used to treat quite severe cases of acne. My acne is mild but has been persistant to all other medications I have tried (skinoren, retin-a, tetracycline, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid...) so I am giving accutane a try.

smile.gif

eve, a little bit off tpoic but do you like HIM? sorry its just that i noticed you are from finland. Oh im from Australia and ive been on roaccutane for a month and a half and seing good results so ahgn in there.

HIM is quite good smile.gif I've met their singer a few times here in Helsinki, it's such a small country!! I'm more into r'n'b music though smile.gif

Yes I just have to be patient about my skin. It's looking pretty red and blotchy today which is depressing sad.gif and all these yucky blackheads coming up on my nose.... it's only day 4 and I keep looking at myself in the mirror expecting to see some changes!! Miss impatient huh?? wink.gif

Hey Eve. I'm 24 (just a little bit older than you) so I understand the frustration of dealing with this for a long time. You just get to a point when you're like, okay i'm done with this. Anyways, i am glad you just started accutane and are keeping us updated. Although every one's experience is different, your info. will help me make my decision whether or not to go on it. BTW, how much do you weigh and how long did they say you would be on it? just trying to see what i should expect.

good luck and take care of yourself throughout the process.

thanks

Hey Eve. I'm 24 (just a little bit older than you) so I understand the frustration of dealing with this for a long time. You just get to a point when you're like, okay i'm done with this. Anyways, i am glad you just started accutane and are keeping us updated. Although every one's experience is different, your info. will help me make my decision whether or not to go on it. BTW, how much do you weigh and how long did they say you would be on it? just trying to see what i should expect.

good luck and take care of yourself throughout the process.

thanks

Hi, shenanigans,

Thanks for the message.

I weigh about 50 kg. My derm said I could expect to be on accutane for about 6 months assuming all goes well with the treatment. I told her that 6 months seems like a really long time for my mild acne, but she felt that keeping me on accutane for that long would maximise my chances of staying clear.

Week 1/ Day 6

Ok, it's day 6 so am almost at the end of my first week.

I don't really have much to report as unsurprisingly there have not been many changes in my skin. One minute I think I have less breakouts, the next minute I think I have more. Somebody come hide my mirror, I keep looking in it about every 2 seconds, lol!!

My cheeks which were clear to begin with have become incredibly smooth. When I began my course, my chin had two small breakouts which were already healing. They are now pretty much gone and nothing new has come up on my chin so it's pretty much clear. My nose and forehead look horrible though. Nose is full of blackheads and some of the tiny bumps I had on my forehead seem to be developing into larger whiteheads I no longer have an upset stomach.

I am sooo impatient it's just ridiculous!! =P~

Week 1/ Day 7

Last day of week 1. It seems like my initial breakout has started... My skin has definitely not looked this bad in years My skin is fine from the eyes down, but my forehead looks really bad. Lots of little bumps are coming up everywhere and every single bump, scar, mark etc. is really red.

It is kinda depressing, and makes me feel like accutane will never work for me! I always thought that people who expect results right away on accutane or think accutane will never help them were being kinda silly, but now I am feeling the same things myself.

I wish I could just keep my mind off my skin and keep taking these pills without giving it much thought, but it's so hard.

Anyway will keep you all posted!

Week 2/ Day 5

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I am having the worst breakout!!! I have the biggest zit I have ever had EVER on my chin, it is totally disgusting!!! And I had a job interview today!!!! Have felt so self-conscious all day, couldn't wait to get home. There is also another bump under my skin on my chin right next to this huge one I also have a largish cyst on my forehead.. My forehead is still full of lots of tiny bumps, nothing much has happened there. Nose also still full of blackheads.

As for side-effects, right now I am not feeling any. My lips were super-dry a few days ago, but for some reason the dryness seems to have gone away. My skin might be a tiny bit drier, but definitely not much. I was expecting more dryness already.

I am trying to think positive and trying to be more patient, but it really is hard. Am going to Italy for next weekend, and really want to be able to forget about my skin completely for the duration of the trip.

I also have an important job interview on Wednesday, so let's hope this HUGE zit has calmed down a bit by then.

Accutane is definitely hard work!!!!

Week 3/ Day 5

The past week has gone by sooo fast! I have been on accutane for almost 3 weeks now, can't believe how fast the time has passed. The beginning of this week was terrible, but my skin has started to look loads better. I've only had one small spot come up in the past few days, and the old breakouts are all healing very well. I am feeling so much better right now!

I spent the last 3 days in Italy and had an absolutely wonderful time, I hardly thought about my skin at all. In the past, my skin always used to break out after spending a long time on a plane, but it seems to be doing fine now

I haven't noticed many side effects so far. My lips have been chapped and my skin on my face and hands is slightly drier than usual. My scalp is also a little bit itchy.

Sorry I have not been updating my accutane experience for a while. I have been only updating it at http://www.clearskin.net/viewtopic.php?t=3225

I got lazy about writing on 2 websites am really sorry!! sad.gif

I have now been on accutane for about a month and a half and my skin is still breaking out pretty badly which is depressing. sad.gif I have not really had any side effects though which is great smile.gif Just hope that my skin begins to improve soon.