Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Derek7.2

Money Help

I'm not sure if this belongs here but a while ago someone suggested a financial fund, and I thought

it was a great idea, but the board concluded it was too impractical & too un-manageable. Man, is that

it? Something that's tough to do right leaves a lot of guys still hurting. My offer still stands, I WILL

get some derms / PS --- in NYC --- to reduce their fees. And I'm ~85% sure I can do that.

Hmmm 85% where exactly did u come up with those figures??? I gotta stick with the majority on this and say that your face is your life and if u cant scrounge the dough for your life then what are u doing???? I already have said if scars were crippling my life I would go inot debt with credit cards or loans, sell off anytrhing I own, whatever but I would fix the problem at hand and then worry about anything else later. I would go bankrupt before I would live like half a person with bad acne scars.

^ Agreed ^ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I can understand what you guys are saying, but you know what? Dr.'s count on us being just that desperate and that's how they can charge $1000 and up for lasers and treatments that will probably only leave you marginally better. I have decided I am actually thru seeing doctors about my skin. I think I have seen more improvement from me doing my own saline injections and needling that are dirt cheap. I know everyone's scars are different though, but just don't rush out spending all your money and get too disappointed. There are also real risks involved with the majority of things out there so I really don't think it's worth it anymore. Derms scarred me from the get go anyway with all their cortisone injections, I am just thru with the proffessionals.

I'm not sure if this belongs here but a while ago someone suggested a financial fund, and I thought

it was a great idea, but the board concluded it was too impractical & too un-manageable. Man, is that

it? Something that's tough to do right leaves a lot of guys still hurting. My offer still stands, I WILL

get some derms / PS --- in NYC --- to reduce their fees. And I'm ~85% sure I can do that.

My experience of medics is that they are not open to haggling and negotiating. They charge a fee and you can choose to either pay it or not. But am interested to hear if you achieve this.

As regards the 'fund', I am certain that 99.99% of the people on this board if they have the money will spend it on their own scar revision rather than donate it to anonymous people they don't know/have never met on a scar messageboard.

In fact charity donations is an interesting subject. I was reading a while back about the psychology of charity donations. Apparently many people say they give to charity when the actual nuts and bolts reality is that they DON'T. This is a curious phenomenon. :think: One explanation given is that many people do like the idea of giving to those less fortunate than ourselves. We like the principle. However when it comes down to the actual giving, many people don't. Because they would prefer to spend their money on themselves. An extension of this phenomenon is people who say they give to charity but the reality is that they gave some money to charity like 5 years ago and are still claming that they actively give to charity. Curious. I personnally think that of the people here at acne org who say they would donate to a scar fund, few to none would actually end up doing this.

I dont donate to anything and feel okay about that. I enjoy my money and work hard for it. Nobody has ever given me anything so I dont really see a reason to either. Stand holding your hands out for donations or use those hands at a job to earn that money.

I would supply a little money 20-80$. but there would need to be some accountability and a screening process to make sure the person 1) in need and 2) had serious scars

Leslie

a better idea

get acne.org to sell ad space for cosmetic treatments

use that revenue stream for a fund

mhmm yep

a better idea

mhmm yep

That sounds like a good idea. Derek are you saying the docor's would reduce the fee if it was for a charity case sponsored by acne.org? That would be a large amount! I would give at least $20 to help a fellow scar sufferer but I would want it to be screened and like I said before it would be hard to do on the internet when people can fake pictures..etc. I give more than that to church every week and I think this is a good cause and it is different than giving someone a handout Keith. I wouldn't give a bum on the street money, maybe food, but when you personally have gone thru something and see someone else that has it worse than you, and no extra money, you usually feel compassion to help that cause out more. I would feel like helping someone poor with things like subcision or excision or maybe something basic that doesn't have any big risks involved. It's like if you had cancer, (which I know is worse) and you see someone else than can't get treated for it you sympathise and feel good about giving money to them. This is a disease too, it is not someone being lazy asking for money to go shopping. This is something that really devastates people.

a better idea

mhmm yep

That sounds like a good idea. Derek are you saying the docor's would reduce the fee if it was for a charity case sponsored by acne.org? That would be a large amount! I would give at least $20 to help a fellow scar sufferer but I would want it to be screened and like I said before it would be hard to do on the internet when people can fake pictures..etc. I give more than that to church every week and I think this is a good cause and it is different than giving someone a handout Keith. I wouldn't give a bum on the street money, maybe food, but when you personally have gone thru something and see someone else that has it worse than you, and no extra money, you usually feel compassion to help that cause out more. I would feel like helping someone poor with things like subcision or excision or maybe something basic that doesn't have any big risks involved. It's like if you had cancer, (which I know is worse) and you see someone else than can't get treated for it you sympathise and feel good about giving money to them. This is a disease too, it is not someone being lazy asking for money to go shopping. This is something that really devastates people.

Why don't one of you who believes that some sort of "charity" for poor acne scar sufferers is a good idea set up a blog for it, do google ads on it, post articles and stuff like that on it, and ask for donations on it?

That would suit your purposes.

AND, you can do that entire process from the comfort of your current seat.

AND, you can do it ALL FOR FREE.

All it will take is some brain power and some time.

And it does NOT require acne.org to get involved, either.

i fund my own cosmtic surgy

just a gd idea tho much mor lucrative than asking (cough) cheapish ppl for $