Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ObiWontonKenoli

washing too often--more oily face

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I read it somewhere (or somebody told me I can't remember) that if you wash your face too often, you'll dry your skin..okay we know that. But furthermore because the skin gets too dry, it produces more oil to compensate, resulting in oilier face. Is this true?

it makes sense. before i never applied moisturizer because i thought it was too oily. i get dry normally. but at the end of the night on some days, my face is really oily. now i moisturize everyday, and don't have the oil problem at night anymore.

It's supposed to be true, it's a well known "fact", but I can't say I've noticed any difference when washing my face a lot. Sometimes I wonder if it's quite the opposite actually :-k

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I'm not talking twice daily....that's considered normal/average for me. We are talking compulsive washing of like more than four-five times. So all of you twice washing/daily peeps out there you're fine! smile.gif

Obi, I've tried both methods and neither one effects my own personal oil flow. I could wash my face once a day, or 20 times a day, and the oil would still come flooding back to the surface of my skin in, like, 10 minutes. IT SUCKS BIG TIME!! :-({|=

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

No..no...I'm talking about excessive oil. My face is same like yours...10-20 minutes after washing your face is oily a bit. I think that's okay. We'll thank ourselves when we hit the 'old' age...cause it should prevent wrinkles smile.gif

i think there are many theories on the whole "using moisturizer regulates your skin's oils" because a lot of people find their face more oily than ever(and more breakouts) when using moisturizer and a lot of people think it helps! at first i thought it was make up causing my face to look oily but then i didn't wear make up one day and found that a couple hours after washing my face was oily! it is only oily on my nose, chin, and forehead (places i DONT get zits AT ALL) so that confuses me too! personally since my face doesn't get oily for a couple hours after washing i'd rather not moisturize so my face can look not oily in the mornings at least!