Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Sebastian_K

Do you find yourself drifting away from your parents?

Guest Sebastian_K

Since my acne turned real bad, i have realised my relationship with my parents has drifted away.

If i were to compare my relationship with them when i was 12 to now, its different. Less close. I dont know if my crazy phase with acne is to blame for that or not.

Do you think acne has made you drift away from your parents?

Mine has, I snap at my mum for just talking to me, I don't even let her see me without makeup on so I basically just hide in my room all the time when really sometimes I just wanna go and talk to her, I can still have a laugh with her now and again but we never hug or anything because it feels too weird now :( and if we ever do it has to be in a jokey way. And we've had arguments out in shops and places because of stupid stuff like me seeing myself in a mirror or people staring, so I go all moody on her. I hate how I treat her sometimes, but I've been trying lately not to take my moods out on her because it's not her fault. Makes me sad too when I compare how we were when I was 12 to how we are now, we used to spend all the time together and talk loads but now I just isolate myself from people. I guess partly because I'm a teenager and partly because I get too depressed to talk to anyone :doubt: It sucks.

No my acne hasn't reflected my relationship with my parents. When I'm with my closest family I don't think my acne is a problem. It's only really a problem when I'm meeting people I don't know or am outside.

Since my acne turned real bad, i have realised my relationship with my parents has drifted away.

If i were to compare my relationship with them when i was 12 to now, its different. Less close. I dont know if my crazy phase with acne is to blame for that or not.

Do you think acne has made you drift away from your parents?

You should start drifting toward them. You obviously don't know how fast time can go and before you know it, you or your parents will be dead, and then you will regret not spending more time with them than you actually did. Case closed.

:ninja:

My parents are to blame for my drifting away, not my acne. But I do think that acne takes an already hard time for kids and thier parents and makes it worse.

there comes a time when you drift away because you are growing up and creating your own life. But yah, if you were closer then before, try and rekindle it again, parents probably thinking the same thing.

Yes, b/c they think I'm obsessed w/ acne/ scars and I know that if they felt the way that I feel about my face they'd b doing someting about it too. I caught my mom out of the corner of my eye making a look at me in disgust at my face and it really hurt and if it wasn't for her and or other people I prolly wouldn't b so "obsessed" about trying to fix it.

talking with your parents can make you feel better in my opinion. they been through a lot so they know how things work more so then you. i dont live with my parents anymore so we are more distant but i still love my mom more then anyone in the world without a doubt in my mind. you should get closer to them, cause when everyone turns there back on you they will always be there for you. blood IS thicker then water.

Mine has, I snap at my mum for just talking to me, I don't even let her see me without makeup on so I basically just hide in my room all the time when really sometimes I just wanna go and talk to her, I can still have a laugh with her now and again but we never hug or anything because it feels too weird now :( and if we ever do it has to be in a jokey way. And we've had arguments out in shops and places because of stupid stuff like me seeing myself in a mirror or people staring, so I go all moody on her. I hate how I treat her sometimes, but I've been trying lately not to take my moods out on her because it's not her fault. Makes me sad too when I compare how we were when I was 12 to how we are now, we used to spend all the time together and talk loads but now I just isolate myself from people. I guess partly because I'm a teenager and partly because I get too depressed to talk to anyone :doubt: It sucks.

Same here, she was just talking about something else... and whenever she talks about acne.. i get mad

For me, acne has made me closer to my parents.... They are the only ones who get me to actually leave the house... Ever since I tried to kill myself in April this year, they have been really supportive..

I love them more now, then ever.... ^____^

DEFINATELY DEFINATELY!!

I dont compare our relationship to when i was 12 or anything. I compare it to how it was before July! July was the month i went from minor acne to moderate/severe JUST LIKE THAT!! i couldnt accept it as a part of me and i made sure i was alone as much as i could so noone would be looking or commenting on my skin, even my parents. Id snap at them, id purposely not come down for dinner cause i was demotivated to do anything how much pain i was feeling within.. which led to arguments etcetc and over what? spots, where as they thought i was going mad! Just recently my mother approached me and guessed what the problem was and it upset me cause i DONT want to discuss it, but she'd slowly keep bringing it up as days go by and one day i just cracked it and started crying pretty bad where i was gasping for air, that took a good 40mins and to be honest, after letting it all out i felt SO much better. I got upset again weeks later cause my roaccutane prescription was taking long in the mail and my acne wasnt getting any better, i again took it out on my parents and lashed out at them for pretty much any reason. Once i got my prescription and started the drugs i felt normal again. So considering my experience above.. i definately agree acne could be the cause. I dont know u but either way.. its doesnt have to be acne, it could be weight issues, a difformity, anything that will make YOU upset rubs off on other people you love and its good you atleast notice and acknowledge it. I recommend you think about changing your r'ship with them, its never too late! Like someone else mentioned.. why should you ruin the r'ship with them when they did u no wrong, they dont deserve to suffer and neither do you. They wont be around for long and if you imagine them gone for 1 second, you'd most likely think back to the time you got your acne and distanced yourself from everyone. So not worth it. Maybe im going into depth here about it, but its something I was thinking about the other day which is what drew me in here.

Good luck anyway :angel:

theres not way acne is the cause of that man. Ive always been pretty close with my parents though. ive found the older i get tho the more independent from them i like to be