Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucy_87

does tane succes depend on severity of acne?

i you start tane with mild/moderate acne do you have a better chance of being 'cured' than if you start with severe acne? just a thought

I was always told that patients with mild acne wouldn't benefit from this medicine and it's only meant for the most severe of acne, but that's not true at all. I'm almost complete with my Accutane couse. I'm going into my 7th month and I have not one pimple on my face, for several months now. I always had very mild acne, sometimes it was moderate, but it was persistent. So, I proved that myth to be untrue.

Accutane works for all degrees of acne. It works for the most mild of cases to the most severe. However, the more severe acne someone has, the longer and maybe more extensive treatment will have to be sought. Naturally, someone with a milder case will see improvement more quickly. But in all, Accutane works for everyone. I've seen it myself. Both my friend and my cousin suffered from very severe acne. It covered their entire face and back. Not one spot was untouched by acne. They went on a course of Accutane. I'm not sure what dosage they were on, but their complexion now is absolutely beautiful. I couldn't believe how beautiful their skin is. Their complexions look as if its never seen a pimple. Truly remarkable.

I have noticed that people with mild acne often seem to have more difficult courses than people with the severe type that it's actually supposed to be used for. I see them report that their mild acne has become cystic, that their IB is terrible, and they seem to get the side effects worse as well. Now, this is purely anecdotal and may just be a function of message boards - meaning that people with severe acne already have cysts so don't complain especially about new ones, and that their acne is severe enough that the side effects are worth it. I hear people with mild acne say things like "this is worse than the acne!" My acne was moderate/severe nodulocystic, and never did that thought even cross my mind - it was totally worth it to me.

I personally feel that the risk/reward ratio for mild acne is just not favorable enough to justify Accutane, but that is ultimately a decision for the dermatologist and the patient to make.

I have noticed that people with mild acne often seem to have more difficult courses than people with the severe type that it's actually supposed to be used for. I see them report that their mild acne has become cystic, that their IB is terrible, and they seem to get the side effects worse as well. Now, this is purely anecdotal and may just be a function of message boards - meaning that people with severe acne already have cysts so don't complain especially about new ones, and that their acne is severe enough that the side effects are worth it. I hear people with mild acne say things like "this is worse than the acne!" My acne was moderate/severe nodulocystic, and never did that thought even cross my mind - it was totally worth it to me.

I personally feel that the risk/reward ratio for mild acne is just not favorable enough to justify Accutane, but that is ultimately a decision for the dermatologist and the patient to make.

I'm on week six. I have not had an acne flare up on accutane. My skin looks great. My side effects are mild.

My acne was mild on meds (topicals, antibiotics) and mild-moderate off meds...but persistent for 20 years.

My derm had no hesitation in prescribing me tane, and expects me to have good results.