Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fotomaggot

Adult Roaccutane users

hey guys, i'm just curious ...

how many of you started Accutane treatment IN YOUR ADULTHOOD, and suffered a relapse ?

what i heard is the later/older you start on Accutane, the lower the chances of a relapse. so i wanna get some feedback here...

i'm 22/m by the way. started Roc 3 mths back. Taking 20mg/day for 390 pills.

:)

I asked my derm. if he would think I would ever need a second course later and he said that most adults hes sees do not relapse that a lot of teens do tho. But there are always exceptions.

I've heard the same thing from my derm... more of a chance to relapse if you take Accutane as a teen, not so much so as an adult. Perhaps less hormonal changes?

I took accutane when I was 21 last year, (your dose I think is too low btw - 0.5 - 1.0 mg/kg body weight) and I cleared up completely after 5 months on it, I had one month left on the drug, and I was clear for a total of 4 months, my acne has relapsed since (3 months with acne again) and I'm on a 2 month waiting list for a dermatologist :S

I guess I'm a relapse case.

Took it for six months at age 26

Will likely take it again at age 29

I'm so fucked.

I took it at age 25 for 5 months and it cleared me up. Four or five months later, it came creeping back. I have been off it for about 15 months and my acne is in full swing again. What a waste of time, money, and risk. The only thing it did for me was clear me up in time for my wedding. But now when I look at my wedding pictures, I feel all depressed in a way because I want my nice skin back. I didn't even have nice skin long enough to really enjoy it or remember what it was like. I have had acne for 15 years now. I will always be ugly.

yeah im 30..........took it about 8 months ago

i have my acne again........not as bad but still annoying........

I took accutane 3 times in my teens, 4th time I was 22, 5th time I was 25. It always came back. I'm 31 now and still have very persistant moderate acne and super oily skin. Very disappointing, depressing and taxing on my body. I feel like I'll always have acne. :wall:

I took accutane 3 times in my teens, 4th time I was 22, 5th time I was 25. It always came back. I'm 31 now and still have very persistant moderate acne and super oily skin. Very disappointing, depressing and taxing on my body. I feel like I'll always have acne. :wall:

People say it's good since you don't have any wrinkles since your skin is moisturized all the time :doh:

give me non oily skin anyday

Sunnygirl, I can't believe you've been on accutane FIVE times?! Do you have any side effects? Was it the same derm that prescirbed all those courses to you? I can't beleive you're not clear...was it ever cystic? Any explanations for this?

Damn. Have you ever been to an endocrinologist? If you have an underlying hormonal disorder, accutane can't correct that and the acne will come back every time.

That will be my next step. I won't be able to see my doctor until December to get checked out and set up a referral with an endocrinologist.

Foomph: Yes 5 times and still not clear, all prescribed by my family doctor in Vancouver. My acne started out as severely cystic all over my face and body and each treatment did lessen the severity. I did not have any bad side effects, just the usual dry lips, eyes, aches and stomach pains. The only lasting side effect is that I don't see too well at night anymore. Now my acne is located only my chin and jawline and is moderate yet very persistent, and I just can't do accutane anymore.

I keep aggrivating my acne though by experimenting with so many birth control pills looking for the perfect one...going on and off antibiotics...trying levulan treatments, and evertime I do something like that it flares up with cystic acne again for months until it finally dies down again. I tried spiro but it gave me migranes really bad and I had to stop. I'm at the end of my rope!

I wonder if I have a hormone imbalance or PCOS because I do have acne, oily skin and facial hair, but my periods are really regular and normal. I'm also tall and thin, don't have any weight issues and don't have diabetes which are characteristics of PCOS. It's really depressing because I'm 31 and still dealing with this. I'm always the only woman at work that has acne and I don't pursue relationships because I don't want men to get too close to me because I feel that they wouldn't want me as a girlfriend because of my acne. I need help! :(

Awww, Sunnygirl! I feel for you. I'm lucky enough right now to have a uy that's ben with me through cystic acne and accutane...

I know what you mean though, about not wantin anyone to get close...sometimes I just feel so gross.

I hope you don't have such a long wait to get in to see and endocrinologist...let us know how it goes. I thought I might have PCOS too, but don't show all of the symptoms either. Best to get it checke dout anyway-good luck! :wub: