Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
white_hype

i have an OILY/SHINY face! hlep me plz

i have a very oily face. i go to a big university with a huge campus so when i finally get to my class (i walk) i have a light sweat going and my face is really oily/shiny looking... my face also looks like this pretty much... even when i sit down doing nothing my face will beocme shiny looking in like 30 mins

HOW DO I STOP/CONTROL THIS?

are there any products or methods to help with this problem?

thx

Alright well if you just looking for oil help, not acne help, then there is an easy and cheap solution that a lot of people, including myself benefit from. Milk of Magnesium. Sounds crazy since it is a lacative but a thin layer helps control oily breakthrough for many hours. If you get it, look for the Original flavor (usually in a blue container). Not mint or berry! My store had their own brand but you can always look for Philip's brand. Just remember: a tiny, tiny blotting because too much and your skin will produce more oil. Also, maybe a little oil free moisturizer would help. I used to always wash my face and never use moisturizer because I liked the way my oily skin felt dried up, but in the end, not using a moisturizer was causing my skin to produce more oil. I don't know..hope this helped.

i have a very oily face. i go to a big university with a huge campus so when i finally get to my class (i walk) i have a light sweat going and my face is really oily/shiny looking... my face also looks like this pretty much... even when i sit down doing nothing my face will beocme shiny looking in like 30 mins

HOW DO I STOP/CONTROL THIS?

are there any products or methods to help with this problem?

thx

Alright well if you just looking for oil help, not acne help, then there is an easy and cheap solution that a lot of people, including myself benefit from. Milk of Magnesium. Sounds crazy since it is a lacative but a thin layer helps control oily breakthrough for many hours. If you get it, look for the Original flavor (usually in a blue container). Not mint or berry! My store had their own brand but you can always look for Philip's brand. Just remember: a tiny, tiny blotting because too much and your skin will produce more oil. Also, maybe a little oil free moisturizer would help. I used to always wash my face and never use moisturizer because I liked the way my oily skin felt dried up, but in the end, not using a moisturizer was causing my skin to produce more oil. I don't know..hope this helped.

Nothing really radical about milk of magnesia. It's the magnesium in it that absorbs the oil. Might want to check out www.cosmeticscop.com, as it has a lot of info on that site. Here's a exerpt about milk of magnesia:

ABSORBING EXCESS OIL: While most people think clay masks are the only way to absorb excess oil on the skin, these are not the only, nor the best choices. I would start with milk of magnesia first. Milk of Magnesia is nothing more than liquid magnesium hydroxide, which is known to soothe skin and reduce irritation, and it has incredible oil-absorbing properties. Magnesium absorbs more oil than clay, and clay has no disinfecting or soothing properties. How often you use milk of magnesia depends on how oily your skin is. Some use it every day; others, once a week. Only you and your skin can determine what frequency works best for you. (You may also want to try Paula's Choice Oil-Absorbing Facial Mask.) Apply a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia over your entire face and allow it to dry for at least 10 minutes. Then gently rinse your face.

-Snake

will that lead to more/rapid wrinkles...

also- i just bought clean and clear oil free no shine mosturising cream (that stuff good)?

and i got neutrogena rapid clear (oil control faoming cleanser)

those were the 2 best looking oil controling products i saw at the store today so i bought them both and decided to give them a try

anyone had any luck with these? and are these good products?

ill check out the milk of magnesia though

thx

Taking a couple grams (3 or 4) of vitamin B5 a day should and will greatly reduce the oil on your face. You can give that a shot if you want.

Vitamin B-5 greatly reduces the oil on my face. I take 3 grams a day (1 gram 3 times a day). The more you take the less oil your body produces. Ive been amazed by the results.

I just recently ordered Clinac from dermstore.com. It is a creme that can be used with any topicals. That stuff is amazing. My face is usually an oil slick a hour after I wash it and clinac left me oil free all day. It's 14.95 plus shipping and I ordered mine on a Friday and received it on Monday. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone with an oil problem.

ya Solid_Snake is right.. and the Philip's brand you had a link too, is fine. Again, get the Original flavor not berry or mint =)

My face tends to get oily too. Clean and Clear makes oil absorbing sheets. (It also says it removes shine but I haven't noticed that it made my face any less shiny). I suffer from shiny skin as well. I started to use Clean and Clear's invisble shine control powder and it works great. I feel much better knowing that people can't see their reflections on my shiny forehead. smile.gif

Guest Tracy

The reason your face is so oily is because you are stripping it with the Ivory soap. And then your skin produces twice as much oil to compensate for the stripping with the Ivory soap.

The best thing to use for oily skin-with or without acne-is jojoba oil. A drop or two in the palm of your hand with a few drops of water, rub together and then apply to your face. Let it soak in and in a few days you'll see a big difference in oil production.

Jojoba oil is actually a wax. It is almost exactly like the actual sebum your face creates to make it oily. It tricks the skin into producing less oil. You may be apprehensive about putting oil on your face but trust me on this one......it works.

The reason your face is so oily is because you are stripping it with the Ivory soap.  And then your skin produces twice as much oil to compensate for the stripping with the Ivory soap.

The best thing to use for oily skin-with or without acne-is jojoba oil.  A drop or two in the palm of your hand with a few drops of water, rub together and then apply to your face.  Let it soak in and in a few days you'll see a big difference in oil production.

Jojoba oil is actually a wax.  It is almost exactly like the actual sebum your face creates to make it oily.  It tricks the skin into producing less oil.  You may be apprehensive about putting oil on your face but trust me on this one......it works.

Guest Tracy

If you're going to use a soap on your face, use a gentle yet effective soap such as Castille soap from puredeming.com The bar will last FOREVER!!!! Regular soaps are just TOO drying and strip the crap out of your skin.

Try the castille soap. You're gonna love it. I also have a small bar of green tea soap bar from makeupartistschoice.com that I can send you until your castille soap gets to you. PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail on Monday.

And get yourself some jojoba oil. Actually, I can send you some of that, too to try out.....in a small bottle if you'd like. Anyway, PM me.

If you're going to use a soap on your face, use a gentle yet effective soap such as Castille soap from puredeming.com  The bar will last FOREVER!!!!  Regular soaps are just TOO drying and strip the crap out of your skin.

Try the castille soap.  You're gonna love it.  I also have a small bar of green tea soap bar from makeupartistschoice.com that I can send you until your castille soap gets to you.  PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail on Monday.

And get yourself some jojoba oil.  Actually, I can send you some of that, too to try out.....in a small bottle if you'd like.  Anyway, PM me.

Why don't you use something like Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash or the Gentle Cleansing Bar. Both available in drugstores. The wash is soap free so less drying and both washes are oil free and won't clog pores. People find that when they start using gentle products instead of harsh, stripping products, less oil is produced. You can always put a leave on treatment after you wash, like BP or SA, is you are having trouble with acne as well.

Also, exfoliate your skin once a week to get rid of dead skin cells, etc. I'm not sure of a good drugstore brand (I get mine through the net), but maybe someone else on here does.

Guest Tracy
thx for all the help, i really appreciate it

i would rather pick something up at the grocery store though or something like that, since i dont want to have to order a bunch of crap off the interent every month...

so could you suggest what i use instead of SOAP? like a face wash gel or something, i hear im supposed to exfoliate my face rather than wash it with soap, that true?

thx a lot!

thx for all the help, i really appreciate it

i would rather pick something up at the grocery store though or something like that, since i dont want to have to order a bunch of crap off the interent every month...

so could you suggest what i use instead of SOAP? like a face wash gel or something, i hear im supposed to exfoliate my face rather than wash it with soap, that true?

thx a lot!

Purpose liquid cleanser is a good one.....but you really really need to get some jojoba oil....it will cut your oil production down so much....you'll be amazed!! Do you have a trader joe's where you live?? You can get a bottle of desert essence jojoba oil there for like 5 or 6 bucks

also i have a few questions about the products recommended:

how do i apply the milk of magnesia and jojoba oil?

for the jojoba oil its a liquid.. so i just put like 2 drops in my hand and rubbed it in my face for like 30secs then rinsed it off, is that right? or should i rub it in my face and leave it there?

and what about the milk of magnesia? how od i apply that one?

i bought:

milk of magnesia

jojoba oil

clean and clear- black head scrub (2% SA)

- continuous control acne cleanser (10% BP)

b5 vitamins (plan to take 3 g per day)

thx a lot guys

PS- http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php...ighlight=jojoba

found this article about jojoba oil... its basically just supposed to trick my oil glands into thinking it has produced enough oil so they stop their production... it says to leave it on at night... but it makes their face appear OILY LOOKING! but after u wash it off in the morning ur face will be a lot less oily than before? or what?

To me it kinda sounds like overkill.

Maybe just use Cetaphil and Jojoba oil at first and see if that takes care of your problem. If not add maybe one thing at a time at 1 or 2 week intervals until you get the problem under control.

Leave the jojoba on, it is a moisturizer. I find it is best to use at night because it makes me quite shiny. Works wonders, though. Another thing you could try is olive oil. My mom has always used that and people mistake her for my sister all the time.