Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rache

My derm prescribed me a cleanser FROM HELL!!

Hello. :)

Well I decided to let you guys know how things are working out for me in this acne-battle. First off I went to the derm Augest 26, so about a month ago. He prescribed me an anitbacterial cleanser that'd help clear up my acne, along with Taro-Clindyacilin(1%). At first the cleanser seemed okay. But it got worse and worse..my skin was SO senstive, dry..Even AFTER moisterising..Well I looked up the ingredients online and its AWFULL. The cleanser is called: "Teraseptic Antibacterial Skin Cleanser". Cleanser for HEll.

My dad(the chemist he is) looked at the ingredients on the site and he litearlly went :shock:

He told me that one of the chemicals is a active form of "ANIT-FREEZE", and there was another one thats used to remove grease from machines!!...oh my goodness, no wonder why it was sooo irritating..Keep in mind I have senstive skin..so yeah it was pretty bad. I dumped that shite into the garbage where it belongs, and am using "Face Rx Doctor" for now..to actually calm my skin down, and help clear it up. And also I am using the Asprin mask twice a week in the morning after my shower.

I am SO MAD at my doctor! I TOLD him I had SENSTIVE SKIN...And he's all: "No this won't irritate you at all, its very gentle"--gentle--my ass!

Besides that..I have been changing around certain things in my diete. Drinking green tea, and taking supplements; Zinc(50mg), Starflower oil(1-2 a day), Vitamin B-Complex, Acidophilus(1), Vitamin C(2 tablets a day) I am also making sure I am cleaning my sheets, pillow cases, and trying my best not to touch my face.

I STILL have a few stubborn pimples on my lower right jaw area..and the red marks(now are fading--thanks to Asprin mask! :D) My ezema is coming back around my temples and cheek area...ming. Prolly BECAUSE OF THE CLEANSER!(nothing else caused it).......................I have an appointment with my darn doctor in a few weeks again, I am very upset at the moment with him..

My stupid derm prescribed me a topical thing that was a special mix, had to be special ordered, cost $108.00 (no rx coverage) and all it did was eat a hole in my face :wall:

My stupid derm prescribed me a topical thing that was a special mix, had to be special ordered, cost $108.00 (no rx coverage) and all it did was eat a hole in my face :wall:

It created a HOLE IN YOUR FACE.... :shock:

thats horrible!...all my topical does is give me reddness..Not to mention, I have been using it for a month now, not a noticable diffrence i see..The asprin mask is way for me more helpfull then that shite!

That is scary..I'm glad you found out what's in it and I hope your skin heals from it soon.

Some Derms just don't get it!

Thanks, yeah..I was pretty scared when my dad told me that. This cleanser is useless, well not to un-useless.haha I killed a mother of all wasps with it :P..

Just for fun I checked out the ingredient label:

Each 150 or 450 mL bottle contains: triclosan 0.5%

Nonmedicinal ingredients: citric acid anhydrous, diethanolamine alcohol sulfate, diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol, EDTA, FD&C yellow, fragrance, lauramide and propylene glycol and PEG 6000 distearate.

.......is it even legal to use ethylene glycol in a cosmetic product?......I don't even think it's a CTFA approved ingredient....proplyene glycol is but aside from being irritating at higher concentrations....it's not the worst thing you could put on your skin.......diethylene glycol is actually an ester, and not nearly as irritating as ethylene glycol would be or even proplyene glycol.......the rest of the formula is pretty standard for a "gentle" syndet clenaser......and very often the same surfactants that clean grease off of machines are used in much lower concentrations to clean oil and dirt off of our skin.......

What I think you may have a had a problem with is the triclosan. It can cause allergic reactions in some people and this product has a good slug of it in there (0.50%)............I have a sensitivity to it......I can't use any poducts that contain it....even Dial soap....or else I get a nasty rash..........it it happens to touch my eyes, they will almost swell shut. It causes blisters on my lips and the inside of my mouth ( from toothpaste or mouthwash)..........

Even if you can tolerate it at lower levels, 0.50% is obviously too high.....I had a horrible reaction from the Murad cleanser....which doesn't even contain enough to be a OTC drug active (less than 0.30%)........

Good idea to chuck it.......

Yeah I think it was the Trisoclan...50% is a lot! Considering..I have senstive skin..No wonder I was irritated by it..And yeah I don't think its the propylene glycol, because thats in my med solution, and I am fine with it.

this cleanser should be OK, it is gentle but thorough at the same time. check it out here

regards,

I use it on my chest neck back and shoulders and it seems extremely gentle to me, skin is smoooooth, yhet not fully clear yet lol

I don't know if propylene glyocol is the ingredient your dad saw isted as "anti-freeze," but if so, read here:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=180

A lot of this synthetic ingredient scare has been generated by the "natural" cosmetic companies.

Also, as far as I know there is no research that tricoclan is effective in treating acne (and medicated cleansers generally aren't effective).

Out of curiosity, what was the ingredient used to remove the grease? That doesn't necessarily mean it's harsh (or as is demonstrated by the above article, entirely accurate).

Do you mind posting all the cleanser's ingredients? Maybe one of the surfectants was sodium lauryl sulfate or Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, which would explain your problems.

Doctors can be incensitive and uninformed. It took me a while to realize that I was seeing such a doctor. He continually prescribed me meds that didn't work, I spent hundreds of dollars (as we all have on this, I'm sure) on medicine that not only didn't work but were totally unsuitable for my sensitive skin type. He spent 15 min. with me at each visit, if that! Jerk.

Retin-A was the last straw.

I'm mad at doctors

I use it on my chest neck back and shoulders and it seems extremely gentle to me, skin is smoooooth, yhet not fully clear yet lol

I LOVE it for my body, lol. Its just not..good for my face..

Doctors can be incensitive and uninformed. It took me a while to realize that I was seeing such a doctor. He continually prescribed me meds that didn't work, I spent hundreds of dollars (as we all have on this, I'm sure) on medicine that not only didn't work but were totally unsuitable for my sensitive skin type. He spent 15 min. with me at each visit, if that! Jerk.

Retin-A was the last straw.

I'm mad at doctors

Yeah some of them are very insenstive..Thats awfull that they prescibe you all those meds even though your skin is senstive. I guess its all they really know to deal with acne..I know my med isn't helping..its just making it red. So I am stopping it soon..I am scared to though, lol.

I don't know if propylene glyocol is the ingredient your dad saw isted as "anti-freeze," but if so, read here:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=180

A lot of this synthetic ingredient scare has been generated by the "natural" cosmetic companies.

Also, as far as I know there is no research that tricoclan is effective in treating acne (and medicated cleansers generally aren't effective).

Out of curiosity, what was the ingredient used to remove the grease? That doesn't necessarily mean it's harsh (or as is demonstrated by the above article, entirely accurate).

Do you mind posting all the cleanser's ingredients? Maybe one of the surfectants was sodium lauryl sulfate or Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, which would explain your problems.

I am not sure what ingredient it was..And sure, I'll look for the list of ingredients and post it for ya.

Okay, Snow Queen I found the site that listed the ingredients of it.

Here they are:

Medicail ingredient: triclosan 0.5% in a liquid soapless detergent anionic base and emollients.

Nonmedicinal ingredients: citric acid anhydrous, diethanolamine alcohol sulfate, diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol, EDTA, FD&C yellow, fragrance, lauramide and propylene glycol and PEG 6000 distearate. Preservative-free. pH 6.5.

Here they are:

Medicail ingredient: triclosan 0.5% in a liquid soapless detergent anionic base and emollients.

Nonmedicinal ingredients: citric acid anhydrous, diethanolamine alcohol sulfate, diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol, EDTA, FD&C yellow, fragrance, lauramide and propylene glycol and PEG 6000 distearate. Preservative-free. pH 6.5.

The high concentration of citric acid may have posed a problem for you; I've never seen a product that listed it as the first ingredient before. And I must admit that I am unfamiliar with diethanolamine alcohol sulfate and could not find any information on it; in fact, the only usable search result I got for that specific ingredient was from the site that sells the above mentioned product.

Here they are:

The high concentration of citric acid may have posed a problem for you; I've never seen a product that listed it as the first ingredient before. And I must admit that I am unfamiliar with diethanolamine alcohol sulfate and could not find any information on it; in fact, the only usable search result I got for that specific ingredient was from the site that sells the above mentioned product.

Citric acid is just a pH adjuster. A pH of 6.5 shouldn't be irritating to the skin. The skin's pH is about 5, so that little bit of cirtric acid won't do much....if anything the product is alkaline compared to the skin.....

The product doesn't make any cosmetic claims so it doesn't list the indredients in order by concentration.......they are listed in alphabetical order, like the inactive ingredients in pharmaceutical formulations. I'm guessing ithe citric acid is at a really low level (way less then 0.10%) and used to bring down the pH, since the surfactants they are using are alkaline.........

The ethylene glycol is what her dad was referring to as "antifreeze", and it is indeed the main ingredient in antifreeze, which as far as I know the CTFA doesn't recognize as a cosmetic ingredient.........diethanolamine alcohol sulfate is a surfactant, and doesn't correct CTFA approved nomenclature........I think it's supposed to be diethanolamine sulfate, or diethanolamine lauryl sulfate (the "alcohol" is referring to a fatty alcohol)........

I'm guessing it's probably the triclosan that cause a bad reaction......it's at the maximum allowed concentration (0.50%) and some people are really sensitive to it.........

Here they are:

Citric acid is just a pH adjuster. A pH of 6.5 shouldn't be irritating to the skin. The skin's pH is about 5, so that little bit of cirtric acid won't do much....if anything the product is alkaline compared to the skin.....

The product doesn't make any cosmetic claims so it doesn't list the indredients in order by concentration.......they are listed in alphabetical order, like the inactive ingredients in pharmaceutical formulations. I'm guessing ithe citric acid is at a really low level (way less then 0.10%) and used to bring down the pH, since the surfactants they are using are alkaline.........

The ethylene glycol is what her dad was referring to as "antifreeze", and it is indeed the main ingredient in antifreeze, which as far as I know the CTFA doesn't recognize as a cosmetic ingredient.........diethanolamine alcohol sulfate is a surfactant, and doesn't correct CTFA approved nomenclature........I think it's supposed to be diethanolamine sulfate, or diethanolamine lauryl sulfate (the "alcohol" is referring to a fatty alcohol)........

I'm guessing it's probably the triclosan that cause a bad reaction......it's at the maximum allowed concentration (0.50%) and some people are really sensitive to it.........

You're right, LabGirl, I didn't even notice that the ingredients were listed alphabetically! :lol: Now I feel smart... That's what I get for staying up too late; there's no way a product would use it as the first ingredient. I knew that the dethanolamine alcohol suflate was a surfectant, but what I wanted to know was how it reacted with the skin (how gentle it was).

Yeah I think it was the Trisoclan...50% is a lot! Considering..I have senstive skin..No wonder I was irritated by it..And yeah I don't think its the propylene glycol, because thats in my med solution, and I am fine with it.

this cleanser should be OK, it is gentle but thorough at the same time. check it out here

regards,

That does look really effective. Thank ya for thinking about me. :)

But I am good for cleansers wise now, I am using Face Rx Doctor soap. And even after only three uses, my mom(the-number 1 critic) made a comment that it looks better allready, and she's phoning my Aunt to tell her to buy it for her daughter's face too. So far so guud.. :pray: Then again it might be the supplements i have been taking these past couple monthes that are finally kicking in.

Triclosan! 50% Wow! 3% is used in normal over the counter cleaners at Max. It worked well back then. 50% would be like an acid or something! If it did damage he should fix it for free!!!! :shock:

Hello. :)

Well I decided to let you guys know how things are working out for me in this acne-battle. First off I went to the derm Augest 26, so about a month ago. He prescribed me an anitbacterial cleanser that'd help clear up my acne, along with Taro-Clindyacilin(1%). At first the cleanser seemed okay. But it got worse and worse..my skin was SO senstive, dry..Even AFTER moisterising..Well I looked up the ingredients online and its AWFULL. The cleanser is called: "Teraseptic Antibacterial Skin Cleanser". Cleanser for HEll.

My dad(the chemist he is) looked at the ingredients on the site and he litearlly went :shock:

He told me that one of the chemicals is a active form of "ANIT-FREEZE", and there was another one thats used to remove grease from machines!!...oh my goodness, no wonder why it was sooo irritating..Keep in mind I have senstive skin..so yeah it was pretty bad. I dumped that shite into the garbage where it belongs, and am using "Face Rx Doctor" for now..to actually calm my skin down, and help clear it up. And also I am using the Asprin mask twice a week in the morning after my shower.

I am SO MAD at my doctor! I TOLD him I had SENSTIVE SKIN...And he's all: "No this won't irritate you at all, its very gentle"--gentle--my ass!

Besides that..I have been changing around certain things in my diete. Drinking green tea, and taking supplements; Zinc(50mg), Starflower oil(1-2 a day), Vitamin B-Complex, Acidophilus(1), Vitamin C(2 tablets a day) I am also making sure I am cleaning my sheets, pillow cases, and trying my best not to touch my face.

I STILL have a few stubborn pimples on my lower right jaw area..and the red marks(now are fading--thanks to Asprin mask! :D) My ezema is coming back around my temples and cheek area...ming. Prolly BECAUSE OF THE CLEANSER!(nothing else caused it).......................I have an appointment with my darn doctor in a few weeks again, I am very upset at the moment with him..

I was perscribed the same thing, it felt like acid on my face.....he was a dick

Yeah, thats exactly what it felt like for me too! At nighttime sometimes it felt like my cheeks were burning..

I'd look in the mirror after and my skin looked chalkey. Was yours the same?