Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
handsbella

Cant use Vitamin C, Citrus Acid, Aloe Vera at daytime??

Sorry to disturb here.

Last week, I watched a local beauty show and I was shocked to know that we cant use products containing Vitamin C, Citrus Acid or Aloe Vera in the morning due to sun exposure.

The show didnt state clearly why we cant use them at a.m, so I do some searching in the web. I found that there are many products with any of the three ingredients, which are recommended to use at daytime. Tha's why I am quite confuse, either the show is giving the wrong information or I heard it wrong.

And, regarding the Aloe Vera, I know there are quite a lot of subclocks or lip balms with SPF protection also use Aloe Vera as one of its ingredients. So, I am really confused now.

Currently, I am using a moisturizer whitening day cream with SPF 30 which contains Vitamin C Ester skin whitener, grape seed and gingko biloba extract, jojoba oil and natural vitamin E, citric acid. I have some stocks of it. Feel so sad if I have to stop using it as I have to starve in order to get myself another new moisturizer. I also use FOTE Aloe Vera gel in the morning.

I hope you could point me out if I have the wrong information here.

Please correct me if I am wrong.... so confused now

I think that show was giving you the wrong information, or maybe you misheard it?

A biochemist on the Diana Yvonne SkinCare board actually recommends using Vitamin C serums in the daytime to help fight the damage caused by UV exposure.

www.dianayvonne.com

I think that show was giving you the wrong information, or maybe you misheard it?

A biochemist on the Diana Yvonne SkinCare board actually recommends using Vitamin C serums in the daytime to help fight the damage caused by UV exposure.

www.dianayvonne.com

Hi, LionQueen, thank you for your reply, appreciate.

May I ask? After you put your Triple C Serum, do you wash it off after a while? Because I know that Vitamin C will be oxidized easily once it is exposed to the air. And the already-oxidized Vitamin C tends to do more harm than good to our skin. Please forgive me if I am wrong...

Did your Triple C Serum contains any Citric Acid?

May I know why you need to wait for 30 minutes before applying moisturizer after the C Serum?

How you think of the application of Aloe Vera or Citric Acid at daytime?

First of all, my standard disclaimer: I'm not a biochemist or even close. I get most of my product & ingredient info from the Diana Yvonne skincare board, because the host IS a biochemist and product expert, and I trust her.

The active ingredients in my Triple C serum are three C esters. This is a stable C serum; it does not need to be refrigerated. It is recommended for daytime use because it gives the skin a beautiful glow and aids in photo-protection (it is NOT a sunscreen however). It is a neutral product with a pH of 7.0.

Most C serums are ascorbic-acid based and have a low pH. Some are more stable than others; it all depends on the product formulation. To be safe, keep the product in the refrigerator and if you have any left after 8 weeks, throw it out. It does oxidize over time.

Oxidation while actually on your skin does not appear to be an issue at all; the product absorbs very quickly. So it is perfectly fine for daytime use and there is no need to wash it off.

I have no information on citric acid or aloe vera, but would recommend checking them out on Paula Begoun's ingredients database. Her website is www.cosmeticscop.com

Hi, LionQueen, thank you for your valuable info. Sorry to ask again.

Quick question: After putting toner on our face, do we need to wait few minutes before putting the C Serum? And, after the C Serum, I would like to put sunscreen. So, should I wait few minutes too before putting sunscreen?

I don't know about the toner, I don't use one. I'm sure it depends on the ingredients, but I don't know how to answer that question.

You would definitely want to wait 30 minutes if possible between the C serum and the sunscreen.