Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
annoyed_at_acne

How I got Dan's Regime working great on my body acne

Like the title says, I've been doing Dan's Regime(well, my version of it) and my body acne is now basiclly clear! I added in the not mild part in the title cause I know some people think Dan's Regime wouldn't work for more moderate/severe cases. I thought that as well, because prior to this, I had tried it once before and didn't notice much results. The problem was with all the active acne, its was just too much for the bp to work well enough. I also didn't use a moisturizer cause I figured it would make things worse, and my skin ended up getting really dry and irritated. So this time around, what I did was this:

~For body washes I used only ones good for sensitive skin, and ones that were not overly moisturizing- the ones that I've found work well are Aveeno unscented wash and Jason's Aloe wash.

~I started off using Paula's Choice 2% BHA(another term for SA) Lotion once a day after I showered. Before you say SA is too harsh, let me just say a LOT of the SA products out there have irritating ingrediants in them, which is why people get bad reactions, not necessarily the SA itself. Paula's Choice is specifically made to be gentle on your skin, so I'd really recommend that. Anyway, so I used this and found it cleared my acne up somewhat, but not 100%, maybe like 80%. So I kept using it everyday, till it seemed like I was getting the maximum benefit from it(at least a month).

~Slowely started adding in Dan's bp gel, doing a thin layer all over, then putting the Paula's 2% ontop. I began showering mostly at night, and wearing white tshirts to bed so I didn't have to deal with bleaching clothes(I tried doing it during the day but ruined a shirt :( ). Anyway, I continued doing this until my skin started getting into that "dry irritated itchy" phase of the Regime, where I stopped using the SA and switched to Cetaphil moisturizer(NOT the cream!). Anytime my skin would start to feel itchy I would add my cetaphil, and if it got irritated/red I would skip a day or 2, then continue on.

I've been doing this for at least a few months now(I can't remember exactly when I stared, sometime in the spring), and I've finally gotten to the point where I'm basiclly clear :dance: It did take awhile to get to this point, I didn't magically overnight become clear. Yes it does take time out of my day, but I don't really think I have another alternative unless I felt like using Accutane, and with those side effects no way! And just to make sure you guys know, the significance of using the SA first is you want to try to clear as much acne as you can before starting the bp, and then use both for awhile till your skin can't take it anymore. I think this gives a good head start onto the regime, since body acne can be a lot tougher then facial acne to get rid of. I would highly recommend others to try this, especially if you're sick of being told to try acne body washes and have them do jack squat.

BUMP!

Just wanted to update- been doing Dan's regime on my body acne for about a year now, and it's great!!!! I really hope other people will try his regime :) I don't even have to use an alpha hydroxy as an extra step, and I only do it once a day, so it's not even as time consuming as it may seem, but it does work fantastic. My begining post was mostly about starting the regime, so here's an update on my daily regime:

1)Shower in the evening using Aveeno Skin Relief Unscented body wash with a shower puff, extra rubbing on acne prone areas(this does make a difference for me), getting minimal products on skin*

2)Put Dan's Regime gel on all acne prone areas

3)Put on Cetaphil SPF15 moisturizer. I needed the Cetaphil Lotion more towards the begining when the BP made my skin very dry, but now that my skin is used to it I use the SPF15 moisturizer since it's lighter/less pore clogging.

4)Wear a white tee to bed.

Also like I said in my original post, on days I shower in the morning I will just use Paula's Choice 2% Lotion, it's not as good as using the regime but it's definitly better then nothing.

*One thing I just recently realized was the significance of hair products in worsening acne! A little while ago I switched to Free&Clear shampoo(very gentle and fragrence free) and VO5 Kiwi Clarifying conditioner(one of the lightest conditioners out there), then use body wash AFTERWARDS to make sure none is on skin, and this has been a definite help :) Whereas before if I skipped a day of the regime I would get a zit, now I can skip days and it's no biggy, I'm still clear. I do have to continue the regime though. I also make sure ANY hair products I use does not get on my skin.

And let me reiterate this point: My skin is 100% CLEAR!

After trying lots of Regimen without BP, I decided to give up and actually try this. I must say, its working like a charm but since the BP I buy is in little 25ml containers, its very expensive for me. Hopefully I can start buying from Dan :D

After trying lots of Regimen without BP, I decided to give up and actually try this. I must say, its working like a charm but since the BP I buy is in little 25ml containers, its very expensive for me. Hopefully I can start buying from Dan :D

Yeah there'd be no way I'd be able to do this with the little bottles, definitly get Dan's gel! I find it spreads much better then the little ones too.

I am going to try your reg. on my face!

Basically you just shower at night and put paulas choice on? then after a few weeks you put bp then paulas choice? once u get dry from that u ditch paulas choice and use bp only. Do I have this right?

Im currently using the paulas choice bha lotion. I like it but I don't love it. So far its the most successful thing I've ever used but its only clearing me at like 85% max. I don't want to quit using it bc it has gotten me to another level of clearness that I haven't seen before. I have a brand new bottle of dans bp that I haven't even used yet. I'll adopt the aveeno you mentioned but right now I'm using a king of shaves moisturizer. I like it too but its expensive. My question is would it be a good idea to use the SA in conjuction with BP. You said that dans BP originally didn't work for you but now it does. Is that bc your bacne is under control.

Im currently using the paulas choice bha lotion. I like it but I don't love it. So far its the most successful thing I've ever used but its only clearing me at like 85% max. I don't want to quit using it bc it has gotten me to another level of clearness that I haven't seen before. I have a brand new bottle of dans bp that I haven't even used yet. I'll adopt the aveeno you mentioned but right now I'm using a king of shaves moisturizer. I like it too but its expensive. My question is would it be a good idea to use the SA in conjuction with BP. You said that dans BP originally didn't work for you but now it does. Is that bc your bacne is under control.

You might try alternating the two. For instance, use BP at night and SA during the day (or vice versa). Dan once told me that with SA you can expect a 40-50% improvement. So, adding in something to kill the bacteria, such as BP, might get you more clearing than the SA alone. Just don't apply them at the same time because it may get too drying or irritating.

JeNNa86- basiclly yes, although you'll want to start using a moisturizer ontop of the bp(just making sure you remember!). I used the Paula's Choice until I felt like I got the maximum benefit from it, then started in with the bp.

KeepHopeAlive- yup you're right, I was using the Paula's Choice and was happy that it cleared me as much as it did, however it wasn't 100% and it just wasn't good enough. When I felt I was as clear as I was going to get from it, I started using the bp first then the Paula's Choice, until my skin started getting too dry. You're correct, the reason I did this is because when I originally tried the Regime on my body acne, I think it was just too much active acne for it to work well. I mean I am acne prone on like 50% of my body so it was just a lot for the bp to handle. Once I was able to clear up some of the acne the bp worked much better :)

Brandy- I agree long term that applying both at once can be too drying/irritating, however by using both together in the short term, I was able to clear my skin up enough to allow the Regime to work. I'm not saying one *has* to do this in order to work, especially people who have more mild acne. I just have found for myself, the bp keeps my skin more clear if it's already not too bad to begin with. I now no longer need the BHA, though if I'm skipping a day of the Regime due to showering in the morning, I will use it in place of nothing.

I'm probably only getting to 85% clear. MAX.

I didn't do the BHA part but my regimen:

Wash with normal Soap Bar

Apply BP

Apply AHA Moisturizer.

Do I have to do it twice a day? That'll get annoying. VERY Annoying. However I can't do the BP Regimen once a day on my face so do you think I have to do it twice a day?

I'm probably only getting to 85% clear. MAX.

I didn't do the BHA part but my regimen:

Wash with normal Soap Bar

Apply BP

Apply AHA Moisturizer.

Do I have to do it twice a day? That'll get annoying. VERY Annoying. However I can't do the BP Regimen once a day on my face so do you think I have to do it twice a day?

I only do it once a day. It probably takes a bit longer to clear this way, but you're right, it would be super annoying to do it twice a day! Also to tell you the truth, I would be careful with bar soap, they contain tallow which is pore clogging. I know there are some sensitive skin soaps that don't contain it. Or a body wash that is not too moisturizing. So are you already doing the bp regime? What moisturizer are you using?

I've read the reviews and seems to me that Paula's 2% BHA is working great! I'm definitely getting one soon.

However, do you adopt any special methods to apply the BHA Lotion? And how long do you wait after you apply BP?

I've read the reviews and seems to me that Paula's 2% BHA is working great! I'm definitely getting one soon.

However, do you adopt any special methods to apply the BHA Lotion? And how long do you wait after you apply BP?

I just use my hands and apply gently. I would wait 10min in between other things like BP.

Let today be the day I start using PC's 2% BHA for my new regime. Hopefully my skin will look as good as new.

So after using PC's 2% BHA with much success, are there lots of acne scars? If there is, are there ways to reduce or get rid of those scars and dark spots? I'm starting to have some dark spots on my back and chest and I hope they would disappear. Any advices?

Let today be the day I start using PC's 2% BHA for my new regime. Hopefully my skin will look as good as new.

So after using PC's 2% BHA with much success, are there lots of acne scars? If there is, are there ways to reduce or get rid of those scars and dark spots? I'm starting to have some dark spots on my back and chest and I hope they would disappear. Any advices?

The BHA helps a lot with scars since it exfoliates. Even now, occasionally I get lazy and stop doing the Regime regularily, and I might end up getting one or two small zits, I just continue with the Regime but add the Paula's Choice 2% lotion ontop of the zits as well, and that helps clear them and get rid of potential scarring. Good luck to you!

I only do it once a day. It probably takes a bit longer to clear this way, but you're right, it would be super annoying to do it twice a day! Also to tell you the truth, I would be careful with bar soap, they contain tallow which is pore clogging. I know there are some sensitive skin soaps that don't contain it. Or a body wash that is not too moisturizing. So are you already doing the bp regime? What moisturizer are you using?

Sorry for the super late reply, I was very busy in July. I am already doing the BP regimen but my mom isn't happy with the amount of BP I am using throughout each month. I probably use $8 work of BP each month. That is worth about 35ML of BP. I gave up with the AHA moisturizer because it isn't helping a lot and is only useful if I don't have active Bacne. Now I am using a Vaseline moisturizer.

So now I am using:

Bar Soap (Doesn't clog pores)

Moisturizer

I have one active acne and scars using this. It isn't good.

Any good way to convince my Mom is buy Dan's BP?