Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ThereIsHope

what are the names of the antibiotics you can take on tane?

Guest ThereIsHope

anyone? going to the derm tommarow to beg for tane and want to ask them about the antibiotics you can take while on tane to lessen the IB.

Erythromycin, Clindamycin, Amoxicillin, any cephlasporin (Keflex, etc)........just no tetracyclines (doxy, mino, etc)...

Not everyone gets and initial breakout...........it's only someting like 20% of patients.......

I though I was going to get one.....but so far it's not happening......my acne is the same as....if not a little better........

Erythromycin, Clindamycin, Amoxicillin, any cephlasporin (Keflex, etc)........just no tetracyclines (doxy, mino, etc)...

Not everyone gets and initial breakout...........it's only someting like 20% of patients.......

I though I was going to get one.....but so far it's not happening......my acne is the same as....if not a little better........

whats the difference in the meds you mentioned above (are ones more powerful than the others for acne? prefered? less abusable? i dunno im on mino) thanks for the help

I'm on cephalexin. best AB I've tried. and it is safe to use on accutane. I think the reason I'm not getting cysts is the antibiotic.

whats the difference in the meds you mentioned above (are ones more powerful than the others for acne? prefered? less abusable? i dunno im on mino) thanks for the help

What she is saying is that all antibiotics are OK except the ones that end in -cyclin. This is because -cyclin antibiotics can interact with Accutane and increase the risk of a serious side effect called psuedotumor cerebri. There is no increased risk from other types of antibiotics, just the -cyclins. The ones she listed are the ones commonly prescribed for acne that aren't -cyclins.