Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jus407

How can i prove to my dotor i need accutane

my problem is that my acne was bad for years and i finally went to a doctor and he prescribed me minocyline (as i had been taking it illegally from other peoples scripts) and it worked to an extent (i would say about 2/3rd's clearer) then i heard about this wonder drug called accutane my grandmother who has worked with acne all her life said i was perfect for accutane and said i shouldnt ahve a problem with it, go to doc (whos an old fart) and he wont prescribe it to me (sounds like he doesnt want to do the paper work), i have another appoinment with a female doc in a month or so (hopefully i can get some simpathy) and advice? hwo did you get prescribed accutane?

Accutane, the brand name for the drug Isotretinoin, is a prescription generally reserved for the most serious cases of acne. This very powerful medication should be only considered as a last resort as there are many serious side effects possible when taking this prescription. However, it has been known to improve extremely serious and persistent cases of acne. This medication is only available by prescription and is not recommended for mild or even moderate cases of acne.

:rolleyes:

Derms arent stupid

Accutane, the brand name for the drug Isotretinoin, is a prescription generally reserved for the most serious cases of acne. This very powerful medication should be only considered as a last resort as there are many serious side effects possible when taking this prescription. However, it has been known to improve extremely serious and persistent cases of acne. This medication is only available by prescription and is not recommended for mild or even moderate cases of acne.

Derms arent stupid

ok not to sound mad or anything but... ive suffered from acne for years i remember as a kid in 5th grade picking at my pimples and the past 3 or 4 years were the worst there was a guy on this website who states i have seen some pretty bad acne before but mine is up ther ein the top three (i laughed when i saw this guys pics) i had to go to his member profile to check out the pics and what realy made me mad and laugh at the same time was people were saying wow thats bad man, (and he got accutane) i have acne twice as bad as his his was defined acne really red 'spots' mine is spots on spots on spots clusters on slusters on my cheecks and forehead back and even chin and nose soemtimes, very oily. so no offense but i do have bad acne....!

and also, 200 mg's of minocycline only controls my acne it doesnt get rid of it, i still have mild acne when on minocycline, i have talked with my grandmother who has delt with acen her whole life (she worked recently retired from the derm. dept. at a hostpital she's seen it all and she said i should do fine on accutate i was a perfect candidate, i should talk with my doctor and he should put me on it no porblem, i think the old fart just doesnt wanna do the paper work (and he is old... old enough to be my grandfather most definetally...) i rememebr having to take school pictures not but a fe wmonths ago and my face was COVERED in red spots from acne litterally COVERED i saw my pictuers and imemdiatelly tore them up as it was horrific! litterally i had about 7 huge red spots on my face on top of the 'normal' acne. my doctor just wont listen he only spends 3 mminutes with my litterally thats it 3 minutes i talked wiht my stepmom whos a nurse and she said the doctrs are only ALLOWED to spend a max of 5 minutes with patients. i need advice please im not a cry baby who gets mad at a new zit every week i ahve bad acne! and i hate taking 2 pills everyday! please help with advice!

edited again

i prolly should have proof read it the minocycline did not clear up my face only made it a little better

You can't prove it to your doctor. Most doctors will require you to meet the minimum standard which is at the very least that your acne must have failed to respond to conventional treatment with systemic antibiotics and topicals - and they will rarely take your word for it unless your acne is severe nodulo/cystic, which it doesn't sound like your's isn't. You should try their prescriptions and let them see how it helps or does not. After your acne has demonstrated to the doctor that it is recalcitrant, they will usually consider Accutane unless your acne is very mild. Of course some doctors are more conservative than others, and many doctors are not legally able to prescribe it if they are not registered with ipledge. That only applies in the US.

I have found female doctors to be more sympathetic than males when it comes to Accutane, but i wouldn't expect a doctor to jump straight to it unless you come across a very liberal doctor.

aha im in same situation

altho my acne is less severe is bothers me HUGEEEEEEEELy

3 derms said no on accutane

i make it clear from phone convo now A i want accutane B i dont want antibiotics ive alrdy taken them

new derm coming up and yes its a girl bc girls r easier to manipulate

guys r just too stupid for that

Guest been13years

Because girls are easier to manipulate?? That's retarded. I was going to try and find a better adjective but I just couldn't. And if I were a dermatologist, a profession which requires at least 10 hard years of schooling and work, a profession which is mostly controlled by men, and found out that the mewling little punk who's come to beg me for Accutane secretly thought of me as an easily manipulated "girl", I'd probably refer him out to the nearest behavioral health center.

To the original poster: if you're going to a new derm who doesn't know what you've been on, it shows a lot more initiative on your part if you type up a list of scrips and the dates you took them, as well as the prescribing derms. That's what I do, in case a derm might think I'm lying. You have to let them know how much your acne is distressing you, too. If it's scarring, don't fail to mention that, either. Good luck!

Some derms are more stubborn than others when it comes to precribing this medication. I think that some dermatologists have a difficult time giving patients scripts for this medicine because of the legalities involved. So, to some derms, if you're not really severe, you're not getting Tane.

However, shop around for different derms. Some are more liberal than others. For instance, my case. I suffered from mild to sometimes moderate acne, but it was very persistent. Also, I suffered from excessive oiliness. My oil and persistent acne led me to want Tane. I went to my derm only once, and I told some white lies regarding medications and she allowed me to take Accutane. Now, I'm almost 7 months finished with it and I'm 100% clear. I lied to my derm. I told her that I tried everything which I haven't. I tried most over the counter topical stuff like Pro-Activ and Serious Skin Care. I didn't want to get on antibiotics because that stuff just isn't good. Plus, I hear that acne comes back after getting off that stuff. I figured I wasted too many years dealing with this stuff already that I didn't want to waste anymore: Let's go for the Tane.

So, shop around for derms. One will bound to write you a script. Good luck! :)

Derms arent stupid

I have mild to moderate acne and I've been prescribed Accutane. I just picked up my script yesterday actually.

I took matters into my own hands a bit and complained incessantly about every antibiotic they gave me.

You can read about how I got Accutane here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...36&t=111425

Who knows, maybe the same will work for you.

Some derms are more stubborn than others when it comes to precribing this medication. I think that some dermatologists have a difficult time giving patients scripts for this medicine because of the legalities involved. So, to some derms, if you're not really severe, you're not getting Tane.

However, shop around for different derms. Some are more liberal than others. For instance, my case. I suffered from mild to sometimes moderate acne, but it was very persistent. Also, I suffered from excessive oiliness. My oil and persistent acne led me to want Tane. I went to my derm only once, and I told some white lies regarding medications and she allowed me to take Accutane. Now, I'm almost 7 months finished with it and I'm 100% clear. I lied to my derm. I told her that I tried everything which I haven't. I tried most over the counter topical stuff like Pro-Activ and Serious Skin Care. I didn't want to get on antibiotics because that stuff just isn't good. Plus, I hear that acne comes back after getting off that stuff. I figured I wasted too many years dealing with this stuff already that I didn't want to waste anymore: Let's go for the Tane.

So, shop around for derms. One will bound to write you a script. Good luck! :)

Yeah, I did a bit of lying too, and I got it. I told them all the antibiotics he'd write me would make me sick. My age also helped things along though (I'm getting old to have acne--24).

aha im in same situation

altho my acne is less severe is bothers me HUGEEEEEEEELy

3 derms said no on accutane

i make it clear from phone convo now A i want accutane B i dont want antibiotics ive alrdy taken them

new derm coming up and yes its a girl bc girls r easier to manipulate

guys r just too stupid for that

My derm is a man, and he was easy. The trick is not to find someone who is easy to manipulate; the trick is to find a derm who doesn't think Accutane is evil. My derm says it's just another medication like any other medication, no worse than his strongest antibiotics.

well i i will buy accutane online if i dont get a script within 2 months maximun of three absolutely no more than three! first month will be a few white lies on top of my sad story of acne as a kid (started age... 7?) got worse at age 11? horrific at age 14-15 went a few years with just coping but i want it gone, tell em i think the antibiotics dont work very well, (maybe i should say family history of unsuccesful antibiotic attempts and that everyone in my family (literally about 80% of my family has had accutane) has had tane), then second month plea again a little mroe prepared and with a better... story or arguement, then the third month if no tane i will threaten buying tane online, that should get the doc to say hey lets be safe here... how bout i get oyu a low dose tane so you odnt go buy 100 mg's a day of it online... but thats my plan, i am SICK of acne everyone in my family has had horrible acne mom dad grandparents brother cousins aunts uncles everyone! i was doomed from the day i was born! (and both of my parents have told me that word for word)

edit

and do you think saying i feel depressed about my acne help me get a script, tell em i constantly think about it it makes me have low self estem (im afraid to mention it as depression is one of the things that EXCLUDES you from tane? and its true so im kinda stuck with this one anyhelp?)

edit again

and also to prove my docs an arshole he told me when i first when to him (before the stupid ipledge prgram if mino doesnt work then accutane is definetally an option we shoudl look into but lets see how this works... now mino not very effective i want tane hes saying thats only for SEVERE LAST RESORT acne and i do not have bad enough acne to be put on tane... what and arshole i just wanna go.... and then i wanna... and hide his body..... AHHHSGHSDKGHSDIPGSDK:GHIOP)

If your derm doesnt think you need acne then i dunno. But just fyi once you get on accutane you'll probably have 3-5 months of the worst acne you've ever had. post up some pics

If your derm doesnt think you need acne then i dunno. But just fyi once you get on accutane you'll probably have 3-5 months of the worst acne you've ever had. post up some pics

well i took a look at your pics and i must say you have it worse than me but mine is about 3/4ths as bad as yours (before antibiotics) i saw the pic of your forehead and i must say thats the same as mine, the cheecks are different, mine are not as severe (i accualy think they were as bad as yours before the mino but i cannot accuratly say i will check some pics of me and see) it might be as severe before mino tho but i dont wanna say it is cause thats just too imbarassing to admit to for me, but its a good chance i was up there with you on the cheeks absolute minimum of 3/4ths as bad as yours, but i made a compromise in that area i said should i have a bad back (shoulders) or a bad face (mostly all face with a little on the back) and i decided back was much better so i dried my face (i put everything on my face benzoyle peroxide, ALONG with retin-a (ALOT) along with proactive stuff along with soap along with you name it, and it worked it was dry but it worked so that was my way of coping with the acne (and my back was back i would wake up pop 3 or 4 on my back and 3 or 4 on my face... god i wantaccutane, has anyone had success wiht online vendors of accutane (no RX needed) again i will try to post pics recent and past (the past might be hard to get as i got rid of alot of pics of me... too disgusted with my face)

Get a new derm!!!! Your experience with acne is your experience with acne and if it causes you to suffer then no one should tell you that your problem isn't serious enough for accutane. You know the risks -- you have the right to take it if you want it!!!!

you may, but most people don't