Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nick_04

'New' research on accutane and depression

Few of these threads. Complete rubbish. I'm less active on accutane because my muscles are tired and not remotely depressed (side effect listed on the packet) so hardly surprised mice are.

Pure speculation and not scientific at all that they consider the mice depressed, could be a zillion reasons from the accutane.

I agree..it's rusbbish. And mice arent people..why do they always think what happens in animals happens for people!! And poor mice :(

i think accutane may very rarely cause depression in people but I don't think this study proves anything.

I agree..it's rusbbish. And mice arent people..why do they always think what happens in animals happens for people!! And poor mice :(

mice are actually not so far from people if you look at chromosomes and they can withstand alot of diseases and so on, making them perfect for experiments where nothing will effect them. For ex: scientists doing experimnet on mice and see the reaction, during the process there mice wont become sick from some virus spreading around, where a monkey would and the data will be different, way different

mice are actually not so far from people if you look at chromosomes and they can withstand alot of diseases and so on, making them perfect for experiments where nothing will effect them. For ex: scientists doing experimnet on mice and see the reaction, during the process there mice wont become sick from some virus spreading around, where a monkey would and the data will be different, way different

The study is primarily focused on the issue of suicide. How many mice have you seen top themselves? Are they "really" not so far from people? Maybe you live with some odd people though who eat a lot of cheese.

I understand the point about watching physical reactions in other animals, but suicide is a whole different set of issues. Also if we were to believe the study, all those who are on accutane would be depressed and suicidal, but only a few are (and a LOT are depressed before going on it due to the acne, the mice probably aren't too concerned with their acne ;)).

Wait only 25 people have commited suicide while on this drug since 1982??? That's what the article says.

15,000 teenagers a year commit suicide in the US, there are something like 40 million teens.

However only 25 kids ahve killed themselves on accutane when 13 million have taken it?

I'd say the statistics for suicide on accutane are better than the national average. WAY BETTER.

I hate these fucking studies, it's complete bullshit.

it makes good news because its scary!!!!!!!!

not because its good science

or in other words this study is crap and the only reason its in the news is because its scary!!!

maybe if they news organization were really smart , they may have done some of their own good research to make sure it is true before they print it but thats not their job, there job is to print stories. whether they are true or not is up to you to decide.

Life lesson #1 the news isnt gospel and its always up to you to think for yourself

I'd say the statistics for suicide on accutane are better than the national average. WAY BETTER.

Exactly! From the statistics they use to scare people away from accutane, if they worded it differently it could actually be used to make people interested in it!

HEY PARENTS! Teen suicide is high in numbers, damn kids killing themselves all over the place!!!!

There is an answer! Put them on accutane....

Clear their acne, reduce the risk of suicide!

Regular teen suicide rate: around 8% in ages 10-24

Suicide rate for teens on accutane: around 0.000002%

yeah, everyone rush to a derm now! :P