Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnnery

Is dermabraded skin less responsive to topicals?

I was wondering if anyone knew this. I had a dermabrasion several years ago (a big mistake for ME) and my skin doesn't seem to be as receptive to topical treatments as some other individuals. Someone told me once that this is because dermabraded skin is, in effect, nothing but scar tissue that's "dead". Is this correct?

If I could do it all over again, I would NEVER have had that dermabrasion...

That does seem to be the case. It seems that skin that has had dermabrasian, CO2, and sometimes Accutane treated skin seems to not respond as well not only to topicals, but to other treatments as well. This seems to be the case in particular for people who try to do too much at one time.

This is something we talked about at length on the needling thread. People who had had dermabrasian didn't seem to respond well to needling. I've noticed that people who have had the things I listed above seem to have skin that doesn't heal as well, either. Not just with needling, but with just about all procedures.

So in other words, it's just not the topicals, it's various procedures too. Don't know if time helps or not.......I think the jury is out as to whether or not it's a permanent thing.

You wrote that dermabrasion was the worst thing you ever did. Could you please tell me why?

I had a dermabrasion on July 1st of this year, and right now I am too depressed to discuss my face and what I look like now. It has been 3 months and it is really bad.

Please write back and let me know all the details and healing time periods if you can.

Thank you,

Liz Lee

You wrote that dermabrasion was the worst thing you ever did. Could you please tell me why?

I had a dermabrasion on July 1st of this year, and right now I am too depressed to discuss my face and what I look like now. It has been 3 months and it is really bad.

Please write back and let me know all the details and healing time periods if you can.

Thank you,

Liz Lee

Thank you,

Liz Lee

Liz Lee,

First, please remember that these were only MY results. YOUR long-term results will probably be far better than mine. I had my dermabrasion done over 10 years ago by a doctor who was NOT an expert in the procedure (I knew it at the time, too, but I was very young and impatient to see some correction of my scars, so I went with him...THAT was probably the biggest mistake I made). You, on the other hand, had your dermabrasion done recently and I'm sure that in the interim, there have been many advances in the procedure's effectiveness. If it has only been 3 months for you, please give yourself more time to gauge the final results.

My own personal experience with dermabrasion was that it left my skin---I don't know the best way to say it---very DEVITALIZED. I don't believe this guy really knew what he was doing because somehow my previously MINOR-SCARRED skin developed a lot of deeper scars that weren't there before. (Especially in my temple areas. In my opinion, he ruined those areas---and my chin---by leaving depressions that were absolutely not there before.) Truth be told, I had NO BUSINESS whatsoever even asking this guy to do a dermabrasion on me, as on a scale of 1-10 in scar severity, my scars were probably only a 3 at the time. And he, in turn, had no business DOING the procedure on me, but I guess I was very persistent and he may have even been a bit mercenary.

My skin really hasn't been the same since. Before the dermabrasion, my face was mildly oily. After the procedure, however, it became EXTREMELY oily...a malady that continues to plague me to this day. Topical treatments don't seem to work on me---AT ALL---even though I keep trying new stuff to try to improve my skin. (What else can I do?? I look for the silver lining just like everyone else.)

But, Liz Lee, please take heart and remember...these are my own unique results and they may very well be a lot worse than what YOU will ultimately see from your dermabrasion. Have faith that your skin will be a lot better than mine turned out in the long run.

If you want to share more about what's going on with your skin, please do. I'll help if I can. And don't hesitate to call the dermatologist, either, if you're concerned. Maybe there are modalities he can suggest that will help you heal more completely.

I sincerely hope your dermabrasion results will be completely satifactory to you in the end. Think positively, and don't give up.

And take care,

John

Johnnery,

I had dermabrasion about 20 years ago; same thing happened to me. My skin really wasn't that bad but I was young and anxious so I was insistent on having it done. It enlarged my pores and gave it an orange peel texture. Over the years, I have had Obagi peels (pretty intense) which showed about 10% improvement, then I had several microdermabrasions (some with chemical peels) and again maybe another 10% or so improvement. I recently had two needling sessions which yielded some slight improvement. I'm now getting smoothbeam treatments; I'm hoping this will be successful, as it works on building collagen beneath the surface of the skin (a different approach than the chemical/laser peels). I'll let you know how things go!