Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holly_08

Anxiety

How can you help anxiety? Especially that which you cannot control because of hormonal imbalances?

No accupuncture please! :)

How can you help anxiety? Especially that which you cannot control because of hormonal imbalances?

Interesting question. I'd like to know too.

Things that are known to work in decreasing anxiety:

Light Therapy

Either on the spring and summer you walk 30 minutes under the sun but at the same hour each morning or you buy therapeutic light lamps and expose yourself to it 20-30 minutes each morning at the same time

Sleeping pattern

Anxiety is relieved when you go to bed earlier and wake up early in the morning and go for a walk

Sleeping more in the morning is absolute counterproductive to anxiety, so it's not a matter of sleeping more but moving your sleeping hours timeline so that more time are spent sleeping when it's dark and less are sleeping when there's light

ABSOLUTELY avoid television, consoles and computer 50 minutes before going to bed

Shower (water therapy)

Water therapy consists in no more than showering.

Dr. Bircher-Benner had used this kind of simple therapy for years in his clinic with very good results especially with people who had panick attacks, depression and anxiety

The therapy is as simple as showering with warm almost cold water in the morning AS SOON AS you wake up and with warm almost hot water in the evening before going to bed

It's 2 showers a day but it must be followed religiously to see results

Nutrition

Decrease your consumption of opioid-substances like refined foods and sugar, spicey meats and dairy food

Keep your diet clean from refined foods as much as possible

Anxiety is often caused by unbalanced insulin-epinephrine-serotonin, if you remove or reduce refined foods from your diet, sugars, dairy and exicting foods your hormonal balance will be improved a lot

Nutrition part2

The best way to stimulate serotonin production is to increase the bioavailability of the serotonin precursor tryptophan through the use of sequential and timed consumption of proteins and carbohydrates

The timing is very simple and works like this

At each meal you consume a portion of carbs and a portion of protein

Proteins will provide you tryptophan while balancing the glycemic impact of your meal preventing sugar and insulin spike

You do this for three meals and if you want snaks

Before you go to bed you WANT instead an insulin spike because it will redirect all major amino acids to the muscle cells giving tryptophan alone in crossing the brain membrana barrier

This is obtained by consuming high insulinemic and GI carbs with a fat dressing but NO PROTEINS before going to bed. Usually that means a small potato with melted butter but you can choose other carbs if you don't like the potato

Do this religiously and in the fourth day you'll feel like you went straight to heaven

Exercise

Exercising may relieve anxiety, sedentary people have the higest incidence of depression and anxiety

Nothing too tough but being constant is important. 20-30 minutes of walking, slow cycling and similar

All of this works wonders but you have to be religiously constant everyday

Exercise part 2

A part of anxiety may caused by cardio-musculuskeletal conditions

Specifically a bad balance of the body compressing the spine and all the nerves of the neck

Yoga, Alexander Technique and Autogenous Training may help a lot

You can begin when you're lying down on your bed to become CONSCIOUS of each separated part of your body (your head, then your face, your chest, your arms, your hips and so on) and become CONSCIOUS of their TENSION and just try to RELEASE them the very moment you become CONSCIOUS of that unecessary tension. It is unecessary because tension means that you're making an effort to move and keep your body in equilibrium but the body is perfectly tuned with gravity so that actually every action we do including picking up things, walking, playing an instrument should be absolutely EFFORTLESS

That's what Alexander is in few words.

You may try this simple CONSCIOUSNESS OF TENSION --- > RELAXATION exercise at bed for 20 mins every day. You'll internalize the "economy of movement" status but you need to being consistent and regular

A bit each day is way better than a useless lot once in a week

Essential Oils

Before going to bed you may want to fill your bath tub with warm water and put few drops of essential Lavender, Patchouili and Chamomille Tea in the water. Those essential oils stimulates the hormonal production of serotonin

Color Therapy

Color therapy is not 100% backed up by science ... it is something that science can't explain because it lacks the means to explain it but in my experience it works. Like exposing yourself to coloured lamps may have curative effect according to the color used

This works even in "everyday choice of color"

Blue and violet are the colors of sleeping, relaxying, lack of anxiety and tension, protection and calm

To take advantage of this effect you may want to wear blue clothes, to use a blue/violet pillow case, sheets, blanket, curtains. The color of anxiety, panick attacks and tachicardia is red ... so I would suggest you to avoid any red cloth for now

All these approaches reverse anxiety by influecing the hormonal responses in your body

Yoga

Danny can you explain Nutrition part 2 about what to eat in a simpler way maybe. I dont really understand what to eat.

Danny can you explain Nutrition part 2 about what to eat in a simpler way maybe. I dont really understand what to eat.

You consider carb foods the ones rich in carbs (even if they do contain protein)

And you consider protein foods the one rich in protein

A meal is a carb portion (like your closed fist for example) and a protein portion, plus dressings, fats, veggies and so on. By doing this you provide your body tryptophan while keeping your blood sugar stables

So breakfast is like this, lunch is like this and supper is like this

At the end you have several circulating amino acid and you want to consume an high insulinemic carb without protein so major amino acids will be sent to the muscle cells and tryptophan will be "free and without competition" to cross the brain barrier where it will be turned into serotonin at night

One example:

breakfast:

2 eggs

1 cup of oatmeal

1 small fruit

lunch:

4 ounces turkey

1 cup of brown rice

green salad

fatty dressing

supper:

1 cup lentil soup

1 small container yogurt

stir fry

handful of nuts

1 small fruit

before bedtime:

small boiled potato with skin

butter dressing

This diet achieves a greater bioavalability of the serotonin precursor through sequential carb and protein timing:

1) protein + carb & (fat) 2) protein + carb & (fat) 3) protein + carb & (fat) 4) carb - protein & (fat)

that's the timing sequence

Surprised Danny didn't touch on this, but another factor in anxiety and nutrition would be magnesium and the B-vitamins... Magnesium I think is very important for this sort of thing, I personally had some anxiety problems going years ago and just started taking Mg and it resolved. But dark leafy green vegetables are the very best source of Mg and also a great source of B-vitamins which play a role too.

Mi Gosh! Very interesting thread. Funny, I ate oatmeal one morning, had a ham sandwich at noon and ate smashed potatoes the other night at around 9:30pm (I get home from school at that time). I hadn't had dinner, so I ate some potatoes mixed with butter, but they weren't boiled I suppose. Coincidentally, the next day I didn't have heart palpitations, but then again sometimes I get days when it doesn't happen.

I'm beginning to believe I am suffering from adrenal fatigue or exhaustion which is causing my body to overproduce unhealthy hormone levels. This is what is probably causing my hair to fall out. I'm underway for some hormonal testing including a final 24 hour urine collection to determine what is that cause.

Thanks for that thorough Danny.

Guest Stu :-)

Mi Gosh! Very interesting thread. Funny, I ate oatmeal one morning, had a ham sandwich at noon and ate smashed potatoes the other night at around 9:30pm (I get home from school at that time). I hadn't had dinner, so I ate some potatoes mixed with butter, but they weren't boiled I supposed. Coincidentally, the next day I didn't have heart palpitations, but then again sometimes I get days when it doesn't happen.

I'm beginning to believe I am suffering from adrenal fatigue or exhaustion which is causing my body to overproduce unhealthy hormone levels. This is what is probably causing my hair to fall out. I'm underway for some hormonal testing including a final 24 hour urine collection to determine what is that cause.

I suffer from SA (social Anxiety) but has got a whole lot better recently. I find there's two sides to it at varying levels, one being cognitive and the other which has been covered, nutrition. Its a fine balance of improving all functions.

Last year i was chronically tired, maybe from adrenal stress too? Im not sure, i have high levels of testosterone(checked), my skins always oiley, so something is wrong. But with this tiredness and brain fog, my anxiety went through the roof and cause me to lose my IT job.. I have always been a bit sketchy since. However, since i have cuts sugars, junk food and gone on to eat my green "properly" and in good amounts ive noticed massive improvements. My body seems to be in neglect.

What sort of anxiety do you get, and is it acne thats causing it or you thought you would just ask on a acne board as you have it anyway.. lol Some people dont get anxious about acne, god knows how, lucky them, but not lucky enough

5-HTP and ginseng might help you out too :)

I love your picture of Steve Irwin. He was such a bright, joyful, kind spirit. I was deeply saddened by his passing. The world lost one of the world's most precious of all people in my opinion. He will be greatly missed.

read the bible

can we not preach :hand:

Sometimes i get anxiety, sometimes I dont. Usually if I have to speak to the class in school i get it pretty bad. I dont take 5-htp normally, but when i do, my social anxiety decreases. I dont know if that is psychological or actually helping me.

Mi Gosh! Very interesting thread. Funny, I ate oatmeal one morning, had a ham sandwich at noon and ate smashed potatoes the other night at around 9:30pm (I get home from school at that time). I hadn't had dinner, so I ate some potatoes mixed with butter, but they weren't boiled I supposed. Coincidentally, the next day I didn't have heart palpitations, but then again sometimes I get days when it doesn't happen.

I suffer from SA (social Anxiety) but has got a whole lot better recently. I find there's two sides to it at varying levels, one being cognitive and the other which has been covered, nutrition. Its a fine balance of improving all functions.

Last year i was chronically tired, maybe from adrenal stress too? Im not sure, i have high levels of testosterone(checked), my skins always oiley, so something is wrong. But with this tiredness and brain fog, my anxiety went through the roof and cause me to lose my IT job.. I have always been a bit sketchy since. However, since i have cuts sugars, junk food and gone on to eat my green "properly" and in good amounts ive noticed massive improvements. My body seems to be in neglect.

What sort of anxiety do you get, and is it acne thats causing it or you thought you would just ask on a acne board as you have it anyway.. lol Some people dont get anxious about acne, god knows how, lucky them, but not lucky enough

how did you know it was SA disorder? that was the subject of my thesis in high school but i dont remember paying much attention to dietary treatment...i do believe certain foods cause physical & emotional tension/stress.

how did you know it was SA disorder? that was the subject of my thesis in high school but i dont remember paying much attention to dietary treatment...i do believe certain foods cause physical & emotional tension/stress.

because of the typical symptoms being around people and sketching out, getting nervous etc.. horrible stuff

I beleive foods play a role for sure. If i have that brain fog/tiredness and insecurity, its pretty much game over. Id have to say that the root of my problem is acne amongst a few other things, but with that almost out the way im fine. Then i can generate those "good subconcious habits" lol and leave it all behind

Stu:-), we came outta the same pod, didn't we?! I get that brain fog too. I'm sorry to hear you lost your job for it, but it sometimes feel I'm gonna flunk out of school because of it. Sometimes you talk to me and all I can think about is falling asleep or I would just be thinking about something else. I swore I had ADD or some shit. It also seems to have increased with the onset of my hair loss, fatigue and anxiety also. As of now, I do have a problem with excess oil production and some breakouts. I would have probably freaked out about it a year ago, but right now my focus is on something else. I'm controllling my breakouts with oral contraceptives and antibiotics.

I have a syndrome called PCOS, affecting only females. There are a lot of other issues that can potentially be worse besides the acne which is also a precursor to PCOS sufferers. As of now, I'd like to address the anxiety issues holistically. I don't want to be placed on so many meds like a walking ambulance. However, I like the 5-HTP suggestion. I might give it a try.

I've always had anxiety as a kid, I remember freaking out when my mom would drop me off at school and I'd cling to her leg in front of the whole class and had a fit. I grew slowly out of that, but didn't mean that I don't hold my anxiety issues in the inside. The pressure's been slowly building up inside. For example, I get about two hours break in between classes in my college and maybe about 40 minutes to 1/2 an hour before a class would start, I'd begin to anticipate it and my hands get clammy and sweaty. I get palpitations and my body vibrates a bit. Sometimes I used to slap myself, telling myself "GET A GRIP! WTF?? IT'S NOT LIKE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN IN THAT CLASS A GAZILLION TIMES!!" I still couldn't calm down. That's how bad it would get. And then I'd get the stomach cramps, aww Lord!

This is all due to the excess T I'm overproducing. And at the same time I'm aggravating my T by stressing. I've got too high testosterone and my cortisol (stress hormone) is through the roof. Although, I'm getting the tests redone a third time because my first 2 blood draws for cortisol might have been affected by my OC. My endo says no, stress probably didn't play a role on the hair loss, it was probably going to start nonetheless because of my PCOS. She's the one with the degree, but I was the one in my shoes those last two years with all the shit I went through in school, when I basically stopped eating at all and took on that pressure from school getting up at 6 am coming home at 11pm. On top of that, obsessing over my acne scarring. It felt like being stuck up Lucifer's bowels like a damned parasite! I have no doubt that my whacked out hormones were triggered by what I did to myself then. I've had PCOS symptoms all my life, but it didn't necesarilly affect me in all the ways it is affecting me now.

Those of us suffering from cognitive or otherwise self-induced anxiety problems, we'd better take good care of ourselves. Because when you exhaust your adrenals to a severe degree, all the symptomatic effects that derive from such exhaustion could potentially be permanent. Permanent to the point that you will have to depend on meds your whole life just to get through the simple things.

Hey there bratz, im sorry to hear about the PCOS and i can totally relate to your SA situations. I have had exactly the same but in places like the office or a supermarket etc. I rarely get them now which is cool. I cant really offer to much advice about the PCOS obviously, but this thread

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=101692

So god dam helpful. Have you read this one before? Sweet jade seems to know a lot about it. I can also help you with some info that i will send to you when i get my old pc back too.

With the anxiety, you have bad and good days right? I kinda figured, well i speak for myself, was that i knew if i could have good days then i knew it wasn't totally or predominetely my mind causing the anxiety but some physical condition. i.e the FOG lol. I was always tired. Couldn't be assed to speak. My room was untidy most of the time, unorganised. All signs of lacking energy. And to be happy, requires energy.. It goes a lot more scientific than this but i cant be assed :lol: no its just late and i need to go to bed. But anyway, i rekon the HTP might help you, have you also looked at "maca"? its something im very tempted to buy. Its a root herb, for balancing hormones with a few other additives.

Hows your diet looking?

Hugz

Stu

/\

|

|

Good mother Lord, I got smart! Read the whole damned thread including some articles provided by her links. I got like 5 pages in my composition book filled with newer (more informed) questions regarding my condition to my endo. I'm about to blow her brains with questions.

THANK YOU SO MUCH STU:-) FOR GIVING ME THAT LINK! I've been to the PCOS forums and read up on some of the information they have, but I believe that a lot of members there are as cluless as I am about this disease and I call it a disease although it's a syndrome. If anything causes acne its gotta damned well be a disease.

My diet isn't looking too good by the way, ya know. Being a college kid, I think they have a class where they teach you how to be an irresponsible eater, except I was so smart I skipped out on it early and got an A. :shhh: I'm not getting enough of my greens, I've been neglectful on that. Ever since this whole mess started and I realized it might've been partly due to not eating at all, all I could focus on is just eating. Just plainly getting the food down. I didn't care what I ate as long as I ate. Now I have to work on the part of WHAT to eat. This is the mess that can get COMPLEX! Danny reccommends nuts, but SweetJade from the link Stu gave refutes the comsumption of nuts for people with IR or high risk of IR, for example. I don't consume nuts often, but I do eat them. I'm going to consult further with my doc on what I can and can't eat. I think that if I can re-regulate my sugar levels, I can indirectly affect my other hormonal symptoms. I'm not IR, but I was told that I am elevated. All of this boils down to what I'm experiencing, including the anxiety.

As for the anxiety part, in the past it seemed I had my good days, but lately it's on for the long run. Glad to hear you're doing better Stu.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but anxiety is so common because it was a very adaptive behavior. Thousands of years ago, the people who were worried about catastrophes, wild animals, heights, disease, death, lack of food, etc. were more likely to survive. People who were all laid back about life were more likely to die and not pass on their genes to the next generation. This is called natural selection.

In our modern day world, life is relatively easy. Sudden death or starvation isn't around the corner, but our genes don't know that. They continue to make us worry unnecessarily.

go to the doctor and get some good pills, I know this is going to be an unpopular response in the diet forum but, I know people, including my mom who benefited by getting help from a doctor for anxiety/depression.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but anxiety is so common because it was a very adaptive behavior. Thousands of years ago, the people who were worried about catastrophes, wild animals, heights, disease, death, lack of food, etc. were more likely to survive. People who were all laid back about life were more likely to die and not pass on their genes to the next generation. This is called natural selection.

In our modern day world, life is relatively easy. Sudden death or starvation isn't around the corner, but our genes don't know that. They continue to make us worry unnecessarily.

But ya see, long ago I evolved from a cro-magnon who had a completely different take on what they called stress and I call stress today. I don't worry about having some brute drop a boulder on my head off the edge of a cliff unless you were living in NYC where with slow-witted contruction workers that's a possibility.

Now, there is your normal stress and then there is the stress that makes you shake and wet your pants, this is a more extreme form of fight or flight, which today I believe has a medical suffix--phobia. For today's standards, I don't believe this behavior is considered 'normal adaptive behavior.'

Thats very true indeed. Altough i can only accept that as a poorly written positive affirmation. .

/\

|

|

Good mother Lord, I got smart! Read the whole damned thread including some articles provided by her links. I got like 5 pages in my composition book filled with newer (more informed) questions regarding my condition to my endo. I'm about to blow her brains with questions.

THANK YOU SO MUCH STU:-) FOR GIVING ME THAT LINK! I've been to the PCOS forums and read up on some of the information they have, but I believe that a lot of members there are as cluless as I am about this disease and I call it a disease although it's a syndrome. If anything causes acne its gotta damned well be a disease.

My diet isn't looking too good by the way, ya know. Being a college kid, I think they have a class where they teach you how to be an irresponsible eater, except I was so smart I skipped out on it early and got an A. :shhh: I'm not getting enough of my greens, I've been neglectful on that. Ever since this whole mess started and I realized it might've been partly due to not eating at all, all I could focus on is just eating. Just plainly getting the food down. I didn't care what I ate as long as I ate. Now I have to work on the part of WHAT to eat. This is the mess that can get COMPLEX! Danny reccommends nuts, but SweetJade from the link Stu gave refutes the comsumption of nuts for people with IR or high risk of IR, for example. I don't consume nuts often, but I do eat them. I'm going to consult further with my doc on what I can and can't eat. I think that if I can re-regulate my sugar levels, I can indirectly affect my other hormonal symptoms. I'm not IR, but I was told that I am elevated. All of this boils down to what I'm experiencing, including the anxiety.

As for the anxiety part, in the past it seemed I had my good days, but lately it's on for the long run. Glad to hear you're doing better Stu.

Put a smile on my face, sounds like you found a few more doors to open now :D Bratz is on a mission :D

Generally speaking, im not saying going holistic will sort everyones S.A/anxiety out, i beleive it helps considerably, some peoples iliness maybe down to a chronically bad upbringing in which case i guess they would need lots of councelling/therapy etc.

go to the doctor and get some good pills, I know this is going to be an unpopular response in the diet forum but, I know people, including my mom who benefited by getting help from a doctor for anxiety/depression.

As a last resort would sound better..